Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,821 of 5,414
Sounds like the PC or JRiver is set to upsample instead of pass through the signal.

Yeah that seems to be the case, think I fixed it. Not sure how the setting got changed though

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #2,822 of 5,414
Got the HA1 in today, came home and started trying it out after a long day of work. The amp seems like a pretty solid piece of equipment. I find it to be better than my old setup by a decent margin, which was an x-sabre analogue convertercrossed with the burson soloist. Running from my PC and utilizing ****bar2000 through the windows audio API, I feel that the HA1 is more versatile and quite frankly superior in the aspect of resolution and overall audio quality. I specifically enjoy the higher frequency range off of this amp versus my old one, the high end practically is perfect without being grating, as I listen to almost primarily female vocals the upper range is extremely important to my listening experience. I initially tried it on a new set of T50RPs I bought and then put some Alpha pads from MrSpeakers on them and practically left them alone - they sound wonderful off of the HA1, I honestly prefer listening to the T50RP x HA1 combo versus with my HE560s, although that may change when I buy a balanced cable. Ultimately, my favorite pairing was the combination of balanced HD650s and the HA1, it was practically perfect for a bedside setup due to the compact size of the HA1 versus having a stack of metal when the analogue converter and amp are separate pieces. I wouldn't say this amp is perfect, but what it does, it does extremely well, albeit only being bested by analogue converter/amp combos which far exceed the $1200 price range. Other than the information I provided above, I can't really leave any other remarks regarding the amp albeit stating that I am quite pleased with Oppo's delivery on their first headphone amp. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,823 of 5,414
I received mine today as well. Loving it so far, sounds even better in my home than in the shop I heard it in. 

Feb 4, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #2,824 of 5,414
  I received mine today as well. Loving it so far, sounds even better in my home than in the shop I heard it in. 

Ah, and you got the silver, same as me.  beautiful chassis.  very well put together like all of their products.Still exploring mine after 5 days, but I really dig what I am hearing thus far....

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #2,826 of 5,414

Lovely.  Same as mine.  How come you arent running balanced cables with the PM2?

How come you need balanced cable for the PM2?!

Balance has 4x-power compared to unbalanced, thats it. It has nothing to do with the clarity at all.
All what you will get is high power to feed high sensitivity low impedance headphones (35Ohm for PM2). So you will get overwhelmed sound signature with focus on high frequency and this is why many members on this thread are complaining about the brightness of the HA1. 
Try the unbalanced to feed the PM2 and compare it to the balanced. On the unbalanced you will get warmer and more musical sound. On balanced you will get harsher sound signature. But keep in mind that I have a VERY sensitive ears, so you might not be able to hear what I am talking about. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #2,827 of 5,414

How come you need balanced cable for the PM2?!

Balance has 4x-power compared to unbalanced, thats it. It has nothing to do with the clarity at all.
All what you will get is high power to feed high sensitivity low impedance headphones (35Ohm for PM2). So you will get overwhelmed sound signature with focus on high frequency and this is why many members on this thread are complaining about the brightness of the HA1. 
Try the unbalanced to feed the PM2 and compare it to the balanced. On the unbalanced you will get warmer and more musical sound. On balanced you will get harsher sound signature. But keep in mind that I have a VERY sensitive ears, so you might not be able to hear what I am talking about. 

AH fair enough - i use balanced with my headphones because it needs the additional power (LCD3, HD800s)

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #2,829 of 5,414

AH fair enough - i use balanced with my headphones because it needs the additional power (LCD3, HD800s)

I just ordered LCD3 :)

How do you find the HA-1 with the LCD3? Any unpleasant sound signature?
Did u try the LCD3 with tube amp? I believe that tube amp will be over-warm for the warm chocolatey LCD3, what do u think?
I never heard tube amp.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #2,830 of 5,414

Did u try the LCD3 with tube amp? I believe that tube amp will be over-warm for the warm chocolatey LCD3, what do u think?
I never heard tube amp.

I much prefer the LCD3 with my HA-1.  I have never tried the LCD3 with a tube amp.  The HD800s can be a little bright/trebly at the upper end with the HA1 but the LCD3s sound very good.  The bass and drums are very satisfying.

Only thing is i find the headset is not as comfortable as the HD800s as they are a lot heavier.

I will be getting my new Norne Draug 2's soon so will have to post some impressions once these arrive.

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,831 of 5,414

I much prefer the LCD3 with my HA-1.  I have never tried the LCD3 with a tube amp.  The HD800s can be a little bright/trebly at the upper end with the HA1 but the LCD3s sound very good.  The bass and drums are very satisfying.

Only thing is i find the headset is not as comfortable as the HD800s as they are a lot heavier.

I will be getting my new Norne Draug 2's soon so will have to post some impressions once these arrive.

I would be grateful if you PM me with your impression about the Norne. 

Feb 5, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #2,832 of 5,414

Lovely.  Same as mine.  How come you arent running balanced cables with the PM2?

The Oppo cans don't need anywhere near the power this amp can put out. I'm not even using high gain mode with the SE output and I don't need it turned up past 3 o'clock. Plus it prevents the possibility of unwittingly turning something on at ear-shattering levels (We've all done this once or twice, right?)

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #2,834 of 5,414

I never heard tube amp.

I can give you my impression of this.  I absolutely HATE the sound of my LCD3's when playing through my Woo WA22 tube amp.  I have tried everything: 3 different DACS's, several tube-rolling sessions, different headphone cables, etc.  The sound to me is compressed and lifeless.  The mids (voices) are ok, but that's about it.  So far, the LCD3 through the HA-1 amp is really fantastic, and i think it's because the HA-1 is not coloring the sound at all, so I get the natural warmth of the LCD3's with no "push" from the electronics.  Small, intimate soundstage, voices are lush and airy, a really great sound.

To me, the purchase of the HA-1 is worth the price just to drive my LCD3's.......which I suppose means the actual cost of my LCD3's are $3,200, not $2,000  :)

I really disagree with those that say the HD800's are bright through the HA-1.  Might just be my signal path and or sources, but I think the sound is simply fantastic (and I'm playing numerous symphonies through them with all kinds of treble and high notes).  As always, everyone's ears are different. 

AND the big bonus...how cool is that spectrum analyzer display !!

Feb 5, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #2,835 of 5,414
I can give you my impression of this.  I absolutely HATE the sound of my LCD3's when playing through my Woo WA22 tube amp.  I have tried everything: 3 different DACS's, several tube-rolling sessions, different headphone cables, etc.  The sound to me is compressed and lifeless.  The mids (voices) are ok, but that's about it.  So far, the LCD3 through the HA-1 amp is really fantastic, and i think it's because the HA-1 is not coloring the sound at all, so I get the natural warmth of the LCD3's with no "push" from the electronics.  Small, intimate soundstage, voices are lush and airy, a really great sound.

To me, the purchase of the HA-1 is worth the price just to drive my LCD3's.......which I suppose means the actual cost of my LCD3's are $3,200, not $2,000  :)

I really disagree with those that say the HD800's are bright through the HA-1.  Might just be my signal path and or sources, but I think the sound is simply fantastic (and I'm playing numerous symphonies through them with all kinds of treble and high notes).  As always, everyone's ears are different. 

AND the big bonus...how cool is that spectrum analyzer display !!

I have the same feeling!
The Oppo HA 1 will pair wonderfully with the LCD3. The Oppo is natural with wide sound stage and the warm LCD3 will creat a balance in sound signature.
Using warm tube amp with warm headphones will lead to a congested and over coloured sound signature.

But what do u mean by small soundstage?! I am under the impression that the LCD3 have wide soundstage. For sure they are not similar to the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back