Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #4,024 of 5,414
In my experience, if the HA-1 see's a zero's, it will detect that, and drop back to show the actual sample rate.  Example, playing Jriver, it output's 24 or 32 bit in certain conditions (volume leveling enabled), the display on HA-1 will show 24 or 32 momentarily, then drop back to 16, the actual bits of data. 

Nov 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #4,025 of 5,414
Turns out that it was a YouTube thing; that seems to be limited to 16-bit output. For some reason I thought everything in Windows that wasn't running through WASAPI or ASIO would go by whatever was set in the control panel.

So far, I've found two annoying things with the Oppo, both involving mute. One, I can't believe there isn't a mute button on the unit itself; basic functions should never be limited to the remote. Second, the HA-1 lets you mute the pre-amp section but I wish you could also do the opposite and only mute the headphone section for whenever you are using it strictly as a preamp. I am pretty sure I can hear the output of my open headphones even as my active monitors are playing. Sure, I could unplug my headphones constantly, but I'm not sure if that would wear down the XLR connector in any way.

Dec 1, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #4,026 of 5,414
  Turns out that it was a YouTube thing; that seems to be limited to 16-bit output. For some reason I thought everything in Windows that wasn't running through WASAPI or ASIO would go by whatever was set in the control panel.

So far, I've found two annoying things with the Oppo, both involving mute. One, I can't believe there isn't a mute button on the unit itself; basic functions should never be limited to the remote. Second, the HA-1 lets you mute the pre-amp section but I wish you could also do the opposite and only mute the headphone section for whenever you are using it strictly as a preamp. I am pretty sure I can hear the output of my open headphones even as my active monitors are playing. Sure, I could unplug my headphones constantly, but I'm not sure if that would wear down the XLR connector in any way.

Yeah, mute functionality is my only complaint.

Dec 18, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #4,027 of 5,414
Hi, someone with HA-1 + Sony ZX2 ?

I would like to read some impression in general and overall on the best way to link them
Because, at least for me, it isn't easy to find digital connection output cables for Z2.

I'm tempted by Oppo....
Thanks

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #4,028 of 5,414
  Hi, someone with HA-1 + Sony ZX2 ?

I would like to read some impression in general and overall on the best way to link them
Because, at least for me, it isn't easy to find digital connection output cables for Z2.

I'm tempted by Oppo....
Thanks

No experience with the Sony, but if you are tempted (and you should be), Oppo sometimes (like right now) has like-new fully warranted B-stock on sale for $250 off..http://oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=39&pg=2

Dec 18, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #4,029 of 5,414
I am mostly playing everything through JRiver media player on my computer and have it configured to allow the HA-1 to choose correct sampling rate. It seems to do that well. High res files downloaded in FLAC, DSD, WAV double DSD will often play in higher sampling rates on up to 96/24 on the HA-1 and that will displayed on the HA-1 screen. Most average CD res files and APE files will play in 44.1/16. Sometimes a higher res CD type file will play in 44.1/32.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #4,032 of 5,414
  depends on where the volume knob is at...   try it with the knob fully on... then try it with the knob fully off...  you'll find the answer pretty quick....

IF you must Insert/Remove earphone,while unit is on,do it in one smooth operation,other wise it can cause system safety shut down,in certain conditions. Better to turn off before inserting/removing.

Dec 20, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #4,033 of 5,414
I'm on page 23 of the 269 page thread.

I'm trying to decide between the Oppo, and the MJOLNIR 2 with my Musical Fidelity M1 (eventually upgrading to the GUNGNIR DAC). There is a price difference of course. Using HD-650, HE-560, 400i, and occasionally B&W P7. I'm looking toward an end game kind of rig (if that is possible :wink:

The tubes and SS possibilities of the MJOLNIR 2 do intrigue me. But the all in one beauty of the Oppo with all of its features look good too.

Dec 26, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #4,034 of 5,414
  I'm on page 23 of the 269 page thread.

I'm trying to decide between the Oppo, and the MJOLNIR 2 with my Musical Fidelity M1 (eventually upgrading to the GUNGNIR DAC). There is a price difference of course. Using HD-650, HE-560, 400i, and occasionally B&W P7. I'm looking toward an end game kind of rig (if that is possible :wink:

The tubes and SS possibilities of the MJOLNIR 2 do intrigue me. But the all in one beauty of the Oppo with all of its features look good too.

I'm in the same boat in determining a dac/headphone amp myself.

I'm using HD600, HD700 and Pandora Hope VI.

The features of Oppo HA-1 is hard to beat, but the sabre chip is what is stopping me from ordering the HA-1 at the moment as I haven't had experience with it.

My list is narrowed down to 
Emotiva big ego - 179
Emotiva DC-1 - 399
Oppo Ha-1 950 or 1200 (possible for 950)
     - balanced headphone amp, bluetooth and ipod connections
Marrantz HD-Dac1 - 799
Marrentz HD-Amp1 Supposed to be released this month. But it's hard to determine an impression for it at this point.

Dec 26, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #4,035 of 5,414
The HA1 is doing much more for me than just a head amp. It has a Class A preamp section, which, while that probably isn't too difficult to assemble given it's low power output compared to an amp, it still makes me happy theory-wise. Besides being a pristine reproducer of music, it's amazing feature base is perfect for my needs. I'm using XLR inputs from my Focusrite Scarlett when tracking guitar, and XLR outputs to my monitors for listening. For casual listening, the remote works to control Foobar 2000, so it's just a ton of fun all around.

Compared to the lower cost options you listed, I think the HA1 is simply a bargain given the features and performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back