Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,496 of 5,414
  +2

Your bright is my accurate.
Your accurate is my veiled.

How can it be accurate when you hear treble distortion.
confused.gif
It is bright. Too bright.

May 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #3,497 of 5,414
How can it be accurate when you hear treble distortion. :confused: It is bright. Too bright.

I don't find it bright at all. I don't hear any treble distortion though.

May 28, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #3,499 of 5,414

How can it be accurate when you hear treble distortion.
confused.gif
It is bright. Too bright.

Who else is hearing 'treble distortion'??  This is a great piece of equipment that either you don't like, or some part of your system, room or head is broken. Or you work for another DAC manufacturer?  But why hang out here if you don't like the piece?

May 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3,500 of 5,414

Who else is hearing 'treble distortion'??  This is a great piece of equipment that either you don't like, or some part of your system, room or head is broken. Or you work for another DAC manufacturer?  But why hang out here if you don't like the piece?

I'm starting to wonder if my HA-1 is broken. As others say it sounds great. Mine was one of the the first releases. First batch.

I'm not the only one. Others have listened and they couldn't take the headphones off fast enough. One said and this is not my words "It sounds like a 70's DAC where they boosted the bass and to compensate they raised the treble". We all agreed. We also used multiple sources.

I fixed mine by installing a outboard DAC. Everything else I find very agreeable. The Amp itself and feature set is real nice.

Is there other early HA-1 users that find the built in DAC way too bright/harsh?

May 28, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #3,501 of 5,414

I don't hear any treble distortion because there is none.   Please, don't feed the TROLL!  

May 28, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #3,502 of 5,414
Dac is silky smooth, there must be some other problem.  Try the following (1) Listen while HA-1 has been on for at least 30 minutes, when it is nice and warm.  (2) Burn in HA-1 with 2 days non stop feeding it a large play list from a pc, might as well do a pair of headphones as well at medium listening volume.  I have 2 units and they both are the best implementation of the ESS9018 dac chip that I have heard compared to the BDP-105, BDP-95, and IBASSO DX100.  

May 28, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #3,503 of 5,414

I don't hear any treble distortion because there is none.   Please, don't feed the TROLL!  

Why am I a Troll? This is a freakin impressions thread. Mine is bright and harsh. Full stop. That is my impression. Not only my impression but also some very experienced other members impression as well.

I paid full price for my HA-1. I don't work for another manufacturer or the industry. I'm not a Fanboy of any particular brand (well maybe Oppo). So why am I the Troll????

A lot of you guys get very rude when someone gives a impression. Not really fair. Maybe the thread should be called the Oppo HA-1 Fanboys only thread.

I try to keep it reasonable and even suggest that maybe, just maybe mine is even broken. I get rewarded by being called a Troll.
mad.gif

May 28, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #3,505 of 5,414
No distortions whatsoever. Bought mine 5 minutes after it was first released, first batch. If I heard distortion I'd have taken advantage of the 30 day money back satisfaction policy.

May 28, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,507 of 5,414
No distortions whatsoever. Bought mine 5 minutes after it was first released, first batch. If I heard distortion I'd have taken advantage of the 30 day money back satisfaction policy.

I will tell you what I will do.

I'm going to a headphone meet later this year and have agreed to take the Oppo HA-1, Woo WA22 and Audeze LCD-3 to the meet.

I will setup the HA-1 to get feed a source direct and also from the external DAC. Lets see what happens.

May 28, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #3,508 of 5,414

Why am I a Troll? This is a freakin impressions thread. Mine is bright and harsh. Full stop. That is my impression. Not only my impression but also some very experienced other members impression as well.

I paid full price for my HA-1. I don't work for another manufacturer or the industry. I'm not a Fanboy of any particular brand (well maybe Oppo). So why am I the Troll????

A lot of you guys get very rude when someone gives a impression. Not really fair. Maybe the thread should be called the Oppo HA-1 Fanboys only thread.

I try to keep it reasonable and even suggest that maybe, just maybe mine is even broken. I get rewarded by being called a Troll.
mad.gif

I agree, you shouldn't be called a troll.  And maybe yours is defective, or you really don't like it.  But it's gotten too many excellent reviews for it to actually be 'distorting treble'.  At a certain point, these threads do end up mostly being fanboys (me, because I'm interested in how others are enjoying theirs, and want to hear if there's a firmware update), or those interested in the unit. I've not seen too many posts besides yours though basically calling the DAC section inept?

May 28, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #3,509 of 5,414

I will tell you what I will do.

I'm going to a headphone meet later this year and have agreed to take the Oppo HA-1, Woo WA22 and Audeze LCD-3 to the meet.

I will setup the HA-1 to get feed a source direct and also from the external DAC. Lets see what happens.

I know you've been doing a lot of tests with the HA-1 compared to other gear. We've gone back and forth on this a few times in this thread already and I have no problems with what you describe as something you do not like. I'm just wondering if the source music files, or codec decoder, or cable, or something in the chain is contributing to what you hear.

I hear distortion in music files a LOT easier with the HA-1 but if listen hard enough they are there with other devices as well, just not heard so easily. For good or bad I can't listen to some tracks now on the HA-1 because I hear how much crap is out there in recordings. Like I just said, it's not only on the HA-1 I hear this but it's much easier to gloss over on other devices.

May 28, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #3,510 of 5,414
I don't hear any treble distortion. I don't feel it adds any coloration as either a DAC or a headphone amp.

There may indeed be an issue with your unit if the distortion you're hearing occurs repeatedly, on different songs, albums, sources and at different volume levels.

My understanding is that Oppo's customer service is pretty reasonable so if you're still within warranty (I'm assuming it's been like this from day 1) why not exchange it?

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back