Opinions on these Headphones Please!!!
Mar 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Meshaboo

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!!! Im brand new here (yay!) but i've been scoping around this site for quite a while. I really need help deciding which headphone will give me the best bang for my buck. I currently own Sony MDR v150. let me first say that i know that everyone's ears are different, and what sounds best to me IS the best for me, but i just want to get some more opinions on my choices (two heads are better than one!) I listen to all different types of music, but im a bass addict when it comes to bassy music. But, I also want headphones that are clear (meaning i can hear hi's, mid's, and low's equally), precise, and just plain awesome! Here they are:
Sony MDR v500DJ $49.98
Sony MDR v600 $69.95
Sony MDR v6 $69.95
Sony MDR 7505 $70- 80
Sony MDR XB300 $32.00
Sony MDR ZX300 $30 (these are really new)
Allen & Heath Xone XD-40 $99.95
AKG k81DJ $49.00
Sennheiser HD 203 $35.99
Sennheiser HD 202-II $39.95

I'm more of a Sony person to be honest. so far the headphone Im most interested in is the MDR 7505. If anyone knows the difference between these and the MDR v500s, can you let me know please? I'll me using the headphones mostly on the bus and at home. As you can see, my price range is $30- $100. Thank you fellow Head-Fiers!!! :-D

Mar 15, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 51
I forgot to add that i use an ipod nano 3g, and the headphones im looking for have to be closed. I would also like to know if i will need an amp for any of these cans. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 51
Have you considered the Sony XB500?  It's a closed, over-ear headphone offered by Sony and is one of the headphones in their "Extra Bass" line.  With some EQ and for the price (~$50 online), I've been told by head-fiers on here that it can't be beat for a basshead with a budget.  I haven't purchased it because I'm waiting for it to become available through Amazon, but it's next on my list!  I can't really speak for much else on your list, but the XB500 is one of the most easily driven bassy, budget headphones and is a nice step up from the XB300, which I see on your list.  Easily driven by an iPod w/o amplifier.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 51
Mar 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #5 of 51
I would lean more toward the V6, it has a nice clear sound signature with a strong bass presence to boot.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 51
John unc, i indeed have thought about the xb500s. I tried them out at best buy and was amazed! But... Wearing them made me look a lil bit like princess leia lol. I dont know, ill have to think about it some more. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #7 of 51
Hey Digital-Pride, the v6 is now at the top of my list. I just read lots of great reviews about it on Head-Fi. Do you think I would need an amp with them when I use my ipod? And also, does the Beyer earpad mod really make a difference with sound quality? or is it just more comfy? Thanks!

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 51
The XB500s are vented, so they can't really be called closed cans. They leak sound through the bass ports, but not as much as fully open headphones.

The V6 Beyer pad mod mostly just makes them more comfortable, though I wouldn't call the stock pads uncomfortable.. They're just a good replacement once the stock pads wear out (which they will). Some people say that the Beyer pads improve the seal against your head, improving the bass. I've A/Bed the V6es with stock and velour pads, there isn't a big difference IMO.

IMO quality closed Sony headphones start with the V6 and 7506. Most of their other cans are pretty bad in comparison, and not just the cheaper ones. The cable is a big long and hefty to use when you're out and about, but the headphones fold up nicely.. 

Mar 16, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 51
Your ipod should have no problems with the V6, but just in case, you could get Fiio's E5 amp as insurance.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 51
  1. Does anyone have thoughts on the other headphones on my list?

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #11 of 51
I've used the Sennheiser HD205 (not on your list I know) and thought they were very good for the price, quite balanced but warm also.

I'd always go for Sennheiser rather than Sony with budget headphones. Sony is a great manufacturer of high end equipment but you can do much better with low end products from other makers.  

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 51
  1. Sony MDR v500DJ $49.98
  2. Sony MDR v600 $69.95
I didn't like these even though they have the DJ look, which I kind of like. Also, their cables are coiled, which got cumbersome. I found them to be lacking in the bass department. I don't know, I just didn't like how they sounded overall. I didn't keep them for very long so that's all I can say about them.

1. AKG k81DJ $49.00
One of my portable faves. Not huge so you won't feel weird wearing them in public. Sturdy feel and folds flat. Bass is definitely there. What I don't like is the cable is kind of long and they clamped down pretty hard at first, but after a few weeks of use, they stretched out. I don't use an amp with it. There's a main thread on the K81DJ and how to mod and stuff if you're into that.

You could also look into the Audio Technica M50. They are pretty popular in the Portable Headphones subforum.

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #13 of 51

Quote:

1. AKG k81DJ $49.00
One of my portable faves. Not huge so you won't feel weird wearing them in public. Sturdy feel and folds flat. Bass is definitely there. What I don't like is the cable is kind of long and they clamped down pretty hard at first, but after a few weeks of use, they stretched out. I don't use an amp with it. There's a main thread on the K81DJ and how to mod and stuff if you're into that.

If you don't mind, can you or anyone else please post that thread please? There are sooo many posts about AKG k81, I don't know where to start!!

Mar 16, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #14 of 51

Quote:
If you don't mind, can you or anyone else please post that thread please? There are sooo many posts about AKG k81, I don't know where to start!!

Don't be overwhelmed when you open this thread, but it's 176 pages long. 
smile.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/162552/official-k-81-dj-thread

Sometimes if you include "official" in the search, it might help narrow things down. Good luck finding your next headphones.

Mar 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 51
To christine, Thanks! You've helped a ton. And yes, i was overwhelmed!! :-D So, now my list has narrowed down to: Sony MDR V6, Sony MDR 7506, and AKG k81dj.

Quote:
Electronics Expo has the Sennheiser HD205 II Circumaural Headphones for $60 - $23 off w/ code LSDA0127 + $5 shipping = $42 shipped .
How about this price?Is it good?

Yes, that is a very good price! they seem nice, I am going to research them a little more. They aren't foldable unfortunately:frowning2: But thank you anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back