opinions on the DT770 '05 600 ohm?
Jun 29, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #16 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$650 is a ridiculous amount for a DT770...my recabling attempts on the DT770 failed each time I tried(yes, I did try cryo-parts TWcu wire)..

for $650 second hand(or not), you can prolly find better.

and the DT770 is way better w/ genuine leather headband/ear pads, they're more comfortable and the pads open up the headstage(coz they're thicker)

Agree, they are just average mid-fi, definitely not $650 great. $300 is the most I would pay for them. $650 can get you W5000 with some money to spare.

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #17 of 150
leeperry & andrew_wot - right so i think i will refrain from this purchase and just invest in an aftermarket cable for my HD600 - good to know they don't work well with classical and that those mods aren't really worth the money...

thanks all! very helpful!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #18 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agree, they are just average mid-fi, definitely not $650 great. $300 is the most I would pay for them. $650 can get you W5000 with some money to spare.

Andrew, in what way are the DT770 premium 600 ohm an improvement over the DT770 premium 250 ohm, to your ears?
I'm still a bit afraid of their brightness and sibilance, even with 600 ohm.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #19 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Andrew, in what way are the DT770 premium 600 ohm an improvement over the DT770 premium 250 ohm, to your ears?
I'm still a bit afraid of their brightness and sibilance, even with 600 ohm.

My exposure to DT770 600Ohm was quite limited, plus all my 3 pairs were defective to some degree. But I felt that it was less bright than 250Ohm counterpart which is indeed was way too hot. Still my feeling that even 600Ohm DT770 is nowhere as good as 600Ohm DT880 even that signature is somewhat similar, if you are not after closed specifically that would be my ultimate choice out of all Beyer lineup, including DT48 which I didn't find that spectacular.

Jun 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 150
to the OP : finding cans that excel both in classical and in mixing will be next to impossible IMO.

I know several ppl who only care for the cd3k for classical! the cd3k is many ppl's favorite phone, for a very good reason!

it's a baby-R10 as I understand it, and I've owned the cd1k for 10 years(the cd3k is basically a cd1k w/ bells and whistles, same construction and drivers)....the trebles are sibilating to death, but also very hi-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

there's no such thing as a perfect phone for every situation I'm afraid. I don't care much for classical music, and I very much enjoy my 770/600 for every kind of music I like(roots reggae/deep funk/ambient/indian music/movies/etc) but if my main focus were classical I would definitely grab a cd1k/cd3k again
L3000.gif

but these won't output anything <60Hz, so mixing on them is completely pointless...and the cd1k/cd3k ear pads are pleather, that turn into zillion little black pieces after 6 months or so...that's VERY annoying, at least genuine leather is VERY durable and uber-comfy.

I like how everything in life always ends up being compromises
biggrin.gif

and I wouldn't expect a third party cable to turn your HD650 into a brand new phone, but that's just me
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #21 of 150
OTOH, because they run on such a high impedance the drivers are VERY fast! this 20bit dithered CD really sounds amazing : Amazon.com: Ultra-Lounge, Vol. 17: Bongo Land: Various Artists: Music

I'm not sure we could call it mid-fi, Skylab told me he liked his as much as he likes his DX1k(and superior to the D2k in his opinion)...these phones really do an outstanding job w/ percussive/bassy music
smily_headphones1.gif

a great choice for mixing too IMO....you might just require a more open sound for classical ensembles
redface.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #22 of 150
leeperry yes i've decided to stick with my HD600 and just purchased an aftermarket cable...in terms of mixing - i only do some light classical recording really, and the HD600 is detailed enough and extends low enough (lower than the CD3K it seems based on your description - which IMHO is necessary as double basses and percussion really hits low and hard, especially with larger ensembles)...and for monitoring...i'll just stick to my Shure E4 for now...

and yes...if the aftermarket cable doesnt sound tremendously better...i will sell it, and just upgrade to the HD650 cable instead...

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #23 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure we could call it mid-fi, Skylab told me he liked his as much as he likes his DX1k(and superior to the D2k in his opinion)...these phones really do an outstanding job w/ percussive/bassy music
smily_headphones1.gif

Same mid-fi as K271S, doesn't mean that many don't enjoy it. I do, ... a lot, more than any truly closed isolated phones I have tried to day.
smily_headphones1.gif
But it's nowhere the level of W5000, AD2000, HD650...

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #24 of 150
hehe ok, well I don't miss my cd1k...that's all I can say
smily_headphones1.gif

it had very detailed trebles, but bass was AWOL and isolation inexistent.

you can check how low your HD600 goes w/ this test file: http://www.tfm.ro/ac3/download/test_ac3.rar

well, some ppl really can't stand the HD650 sound
redface.gif

anyway, there's always something better than what you have...the W5k is pretty pricey IIRC. the DT770/600 w/ genuine leather and a decent source sounds pretty damn good on non-classical music IMHO.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #25 of 150
The owners are very loud to say the least.
Theres a good mix of respected and less-than-so members who own it, and some with ears/tastes that differ from what appears to be "mainstream" around here.
Take it with a grain of salt, and try them for yourself if you have the chance.
I daresay that there are better options available for the price for the average user here.
@ post below case and point.

Jun 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #26 of 150
hey, look! it's the Sansa Clip boy...who turned into a zombie Japanese girl in the meantime, that Sansa sure seems impressive
biggrin.gif

anyway, I've asked Skylab if he could come around give us his opinion
beerchug.gif

and w/ fresh ears this morning, I'm still hooked...the SQ perfectly matches my expectations! I plan on using it to mix anytime soon, I'm sure it will deliver
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #27 of 150
I think the DT770 05 600 ohm are excellent cans. They can be a little bright, yes, and they benefit from a recable. Since you can now get the 600 ohm versions without needing to go to the "manufacture" site, this is a more affordable way to get them.

At $650, I would not recommend the DT770/600 as the best option - If you are clever, you can get the JVC DX1000 for almost that price, and the DX1000 are much better than the DT770, IMO. The DX1000, however, are truly world-class headphones, head and shoulders above the W5000, HD650, etc. etc.

But purchased at $350, which you can, I do not think there is a better closed can than the DT770/600 available at that price. The only real competition is the Kenwood K1000.

It does not make sense to compare the DT770 to the HD650 - for that one should compare the DT880 or DT990 which are also open (and I much prefer both to the HD650, but that is a matter of personal taste).

I present my views as my taste, not fact. Do not let the "factual" tone of other's posts in this thread make you feel bad about the DT770. It is not "fact" that they are mid-fi, or worse than can "X", etc. That is just opinion. My opinion of the DT770/600 is much higher than some here, which is fine. We all hear a little differently.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #28 of 150
good to have you here Skylab, so I'm not crazy after all
redface.gif

yes, many ppl talk about that Kenwood KH-K1000...did you hear it ? it's $350 shipped on pricejapan, rather tempting
smily_headphones1.gif

the JVC is said to be very bassy? and it's quite pricey..even the european version is around $600

but none of these two have genuine leather ear pads...that'd be a step backward for me, pleather is not that enjoyable in my book.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #29 of 150
The JVC pleather is very, very nice
wink.gif
And they have more bass than the 05 DT770, yes. But the bass may be the tightest I have ever heard in a headphone - the quality of the DX1000's bass has to be heard to be believed. Only the Sony R10 are better, IMO.

The Kenwood K1000 are excellent cans - I own a pair. They do not get discussed much here, which is a shame, as they are terrific. They are "warmer" sounding than the DT770, with more bass, but I don;t think they are an "upgrade" over the DT770/600.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #30 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same mid-fi as K271S, doesn't mean that many don't enjoy it. I do, ... a lot, more than any truly closed isolated phones I have tried to day.
smily_headphones1.gif
But it's nowhere the level of W5000, AD2000, HD650...

How do the DT770 600 ohm compare to the K271 (and D2000)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back