Jun 30, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #31 of 150
both the Kenwood and the DX1k are dual entry, that's a showstopper for me
redface.gif

BTW, Skylab do you agree that classical ensembles sound dull on the DT770/600
confused.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #32 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DX1000, however, are truly world-class headphones, head and shoulders above the W5000, HD650, etc. etc.

That's quite a strong statement drawn from just your own sonic preferences. They are quite idiosyncratic to be mainstream world-class, not to mention being "head and shoulders" above ... .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But purchased at $350, which you can, I do not think there is a better closed can than the DT770/600 available at that price. The only real competition is the Kenwood K1000.

Actually there is one - K271S.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #33 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do the DT770 600 ohm compare to the K271 (and D2000)?

I didn't care much about D2000 and still prefer K271S to others mid-fi closed, including DT770, to me there is something artificial in the way DT770 sound, even that 600Ohm helped a bit with it.
Somehow 600Ohm has lesser or different effect on DT770 than on DT880.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #35 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tiemen, you try that K271S and let me know
tongue.gif

w/ some leather DT770 pads, if any possible
beerchug.gif

Already done that, and the Kenwood KH-K1000 as well
biggrin.gif

Had comfort issues with both.
The vinyl earpads of the K271 are not deep enough, so my ears touched the drivers real bad. The velour pads were even worse comfortwise.
The K1000 earpads were not wide enough, so they sat on my ears, instead of surrounding them.
For sound, I found the K1000 as dull as the K271S. But maybe that was a amp mismatch.
Tried neither of them with leather pads though.

I still have the K270 Playback, which I prefer over the K271 because they sound livelier, more PRaT. And the cups have more room for my ears. I covered the openings with foam rings, so my ears don't touch the inner parts anymore.
I had Beyer leather earpads on them, but switched back to the vinyl pads for a more natural sound. With the leather earpads, the mids were somewhat nasal/ telephonic.

Tomorrow I have the opportunity to listen to the Ultrasone Pro900.
But the DT770/600 is really my last chance for a second affordable, comfortable and good sounding closed headphone.
I don't count the GMT250, because they don't isolate at all.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #36 of 150
my first phones were the K240, and god were they bad...I mean really bad! w/ that sticky plasticy pleather.

at some point I was eyeing the K272HD, but I was told that it was really terrible to listen to
confused.gif

lol the Pro750 is simply unbearable, metallic mids, very small pads made for children ears...I believe the Pro900 is the same, w/ more bass
redface.gif

well sure the DT770/600 isn't perfect, but apart from the K272HD I don't see much competition for closed phones <$350..

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #37 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The vinyl earpads of the K271 are not deep enough, so my ears touched the drivers real bad. The velour pads were even worse comfortwise.

Yeap, stock vinyl is pretty bad, had the same issue with ears touching driver grills, but for me velour fixed that all, they are deeper and also made a better seal thus resulting in increased bass as an extra benefit. But it seems like velour doesn't work for you either, were these AKG pads or some 3rd party. I remember how I suffered with AD2000 before found how to stretch that headband and find the right position, I just couldn't enjoy the music with that wise-grip around my head.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeap, stock vinyl is pretty bad, had the same issue with ears touching driver grills, but for me velour fixed that all, they are deeper and also made a better seal thus resulting in increased bass as an extra benefit. But it seems like velour doesn't work for you either, were these AKG pads or some 3rd party. I remember how I suffered with AD2000 before found how to stretch that headband and find the right position, I just couldn't enjoy the music with that wise-grip around my head.

I had the original AKG velour earpads twice. Tried them on the K271 and the k270.
It's my head that is the problem
mad.gif
My big ears bearly fits in the opening of the velour pads. Those openings are smaller due to the bigger surface of the velour pads. It was very unpleasant to had my ears tightly squeezed in the velour earpads. The vinyl pads have more room for the ear when it comes to width.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #39 of 150
Quote:

well sure the DT770/600 isn't perfect, but apart from the K272HD I don't see much competition for closed phones <$350..

After being on "perfect closed" quest for 5 years, afraid there are no others viable options. I'd be happy with either, DT770 was more aggressive and that worked perfect with some genres, K271S is more all-rounded.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #40 of 150
the K271S can be had for $100 apparently....but I really don't wanna go through ear pads torture anymore..

so any of you tried the K272HD? I believe it's got angled drivers too...will try to find some feedback on it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #41 of 150
Quote:

the K271S can be had for $100 apparently....but I really don't wanna go through ear pads torture anymore..

so any of you tried the K272HD? I believe it's got angled drivers too...will try to find some feedback on it.

It's the same as K271S spare hardwired cable and velour pads targeting consumer market when K271S is for pro use in studios. I'd go for K271S MKII, same design as K271S with spare velour pads included and different color scheme.
Here's the most recent review
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/k27...ssions-430298/

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #42 of 150
good point, the k27x are apparently all based on the same drivers. and the pads are the same size as the K240...well, I'm in the market for a single entry <$400 closed phone w/ leather pads. only the DT770 seems to match that
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #43 of 150
Quote:

good point, the k27x are apparently all based on the same drivers. and the pads are the same size as the K240...well, I'm in the market for a single entry <$400 closed phone w/ leather pads. only the DT770 seems to match that
smily_headphones1.gif

K271S has single entry and even that their vinyl pads are not leather, DT770 pads fit K721S perfectly. Not sure of sonics though, the one from DT880 sounded horrible, but they were open phones design.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #44 of 150
well, Tiemen tried the leather DT770 pads on the K270 and that didn't work too well apparently. It would appear that playing god w/ mismatched pads is a hit or miss. anyway, these DT770/600 sound fine to me...well except on classical ensembles, where they really sound BAD. But they're great for all the rest, and fantastic in movies(just like the DT770/Pro).

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #45 of 150
Quote:

well, Tiemen tried the leather DT770 pads on the K270 and that didn't work too well apparently. It would appear that playing god w/ mismatched pads is a hit or miss. anyway, these DT770/600 sound fine to me...well except on classical ensembles, where they really sound BAD. But they're great for all the rest, and fantastic in movies(just like the DT770/Pro).

The Beyer leather pads I used were the Aviation ones. Not the Manufaktur pads.
DT770 velour earpads on the K271S isn't a good idea, gives slightly recessed and unnatural sounding mids.
It helps a bit to cover the little holes at the back of the velour earpads with tape. Gives great results on the GMP250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back