Opinions on Tattoos
Jul 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #91 of 117
Its like junk food. Not good for you but its your choice.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #92 of 117
Originally Posted by Fido2 

Quote:
So you're saying that enjoying the power and intensity of live music as opposed to the recording is somehow the same as getting my body scarred and painted

No. Not even close. How is that even in the conversation? What? 

Don't try and play it off. You stated that simply because one goes to a show he is conforming, which related to my inferring that being tattooed was conforming. So in the context of our discussion you inferred that being tattooed and simply attending a show are the same (conforming). Don't be silly. We see. They are not the same thing.

Quote:
What am I "conforming" too by simply going to a show and listening to the music?

You are conforming to be like everyone else who likes the exact same music and goes to the same exact show and claps when promted. You made a point in your first post about not conforming by adding a tattoo when you see them at all the shows, i.e. you want to be different by not being tattoo'd. I say be different by not going to said show. Be really different. Please re-read posts again. Sarcasim.

BS. I go to the show and have 15-20 drinks and don't move clap or even blink. I REFUSE to conform in any way.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
Perhaps you are worried that you really are not free and you need to shout about your freedom by getting inked up? Is that how you feel free? Is this the secret inner message that's painted on the skin?

Yes. This is my worry and exactly how I feel, how did you know that? The secret message can only be seen however when de-coded by the super ruby sphere

I win. You lose.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
I mean a tattoo is an advertisement to some degree by it's very nature.

True. 
I know.

Quote:
On another level, the tattoo has gone into all segments of society today. There was a time when it was taboo or cool or different to have one.

[size=small]"....that was when society was not quite ready for this type of music....that's when punk rock was dangerous...You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little $%&^^ pierced and your little doc martin boots and your crazy color for your hair....You walked down the street with blue hair...you were going to get in a fight with about 5 angry construction workers, or the local college football team, red-necks or cops.... Yeah, sometimes they kicked our a**... but sometimes we beat the F out of them. That's right, I was about 4 foot fu!!ing 8, and I hit the biggest mother!!er there..." [/size]
 ​
[size=small]Mike Ness[/size]
[size=small]                                                                                                                          [/size]​
F mike ness

Quote:
Now it's just what everybody's doing. There seem to be more folks that have tats than do not.

Maybe society has become more accpeted of people's individuality and care more about what's under the skin then on? 

No. Society has become more commercialized and superficial and tagging your skin is a perfect analogy, along the lines of billboards, graffitti, above the urinal ads etc. But I do care about you friend.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
So yes it's become some kind of new badge of "conformity" or flavor of the day style.

but this is a silly statement to me... 

Well tattoos are silly. IMO
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #93 of 117
Tattoos aren't silly. People that keep on going long after the discussion is over and everything has already been said are silly. 
wink_face.gif
 Give it a rest. You're not contributing. 

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #95 of 117
My thoughts on tattoos:

If it's covered all over your body, shoulders, arms, legs,neck,etc... basically, in large quantity and everywhere - then... your parents didn't beat you hard enough when you were a child.

If it's a few dragon/cool designs on the arm or something, it's normal and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #96 of 117
You seem determined to get one, and you have a couple of ideas of what you want.  Generally, I think it's best to get tattoos in areas that you can cover up if you need to (ie job).  I have a few friends that are professional chefs that are quite inked up, so it seems like its ok in your given industry. I would do a good amount of research about your local shops/artists and kind of get a regular person if you plan on getting more.

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #97 of 117
Im in the process of stretching my ears for plugs... Whats worse..? oh wait i dont care what you think :wink: People do these things for personal gain not to please other people. It is great to hear peoples opinions though.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #99 of 117
Self satisfaction, Why do people goto the gym and want to be huge and muscular..? :) Alot of people i know, never quite felt whole. So they do this to fill the void. A friend of mine has a fair bit of work done on his old fella. Prince albert 1 gauge, Scrot done, Beads and ribs... I myself couldnt get it done and fell into the area of tattoo's as ive always been fascinated by them. Where does it end..?? Maybe you could ask the cat man or lizard man..?

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #100 of 117
I would like to think that people go to the gym for their health and staying fit. Well there's that and the idea of "getting huge" (which is something completely different). I'm not speaking of tattoos or piercings, but maybe this is some sort of effort to deal with insecurities? I don't know.

Those two fellas you posted pics of are at the far extreme of your example of what people are willing to do to themselves. Maybe they're like transgendered people who think that they were really meant to be a snake or a tiger? People are nuts.

Jul 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM Post #105 of 117
I have 6 tattoos (some small, some large) with probably one or two more on the way (all religious). I find it interesting that people who don't have tattoos have such a strong opinion about them. You can never fully understand the meaning of tattoos until you get one. Tattoos are not only an expression of oneself but they become a part of you (something no one can ever take away).

The two main concerns about tattoos are 1. "its a lifelong decision, are you sure you want to have that forever?" 2. "It's gonna look real bad when your 70 years old and all wrinkled". 1. Yes a tattoo is a life long decision and thats the beauty of it. If the tattoo has meaning to you then it will serve as a reminder of a certain point in your life. If you get a bad tattoo it will at least give you a good story to tell. 2. When your 70 years old you shouldn't really care how you look and even if you do you will look pretty bad at 70 with or with out tattoos. The crazy thing about tattoos is that after the novelty wears off you seem to forget its there until you see it.

With that said it is smart to understand and recognize that not everybody likes or understands tattoos and so one should think carfully about placing them were it can't be covered. Also, if your woried about getting a bad tattoo (horrible design or terrible quality) then there is a few things you can do to keep that from happening. 1. Look at the artists book before you get one from them (you can tell by there book if they know what they're doing). 2. Come in with a design (or idea) in mind but don't be stuck with it, let the artist make it their own (they know their abilities better than anybody and will not do anything they can't really do well unless somebody demands them to). To the OP if your somewhat serious about getting one, start small and don't think about it just get it done.A good tattoo will make you feel lucky, there is a reason tattoos are addicting! Plus, they hurt but its nothing that anybody can't handle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back