Opinions on Tattoos
Jul 21, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #76 of 117
[size=10pt]For Fido2..well, ok, I'll play too, thank goodness there are those at HF that don’t take themselves too seriously...if you are worried about whether you are becoming a conformist by getting tattoos, or if you are by being bound by the chains of the conformist if you got tattoos like the rest of the sheep at the show, wouldn’t the only upgratis option be to totally commit to being a non-conformist and skip the show entirely? You then would be not conforming to a collective view; this being a show others are also viewing and participating in, and it separates you from having the same thoughts as other people like “Man, this band rocks” or “Man, that drummer is intense”. If you did not go to the show, you would be a total non-conformist, no one could tell you “you fell in line with the rest of them at that show clapping and yelling” because you didn’t fall in line, you didn’t go!  That way you can shout from the roof tops “I am free”…something like that….[/size]

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #77 of 117
I missed the wink wink in your remark. You'd be amazed at the logic of some people, hence my defensive stance. :) The whole conformist thing is silly and I won't even go there. In my own post I was merely doubting my own motivation for getting inked. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #78 of 117
wink winks are hard  to interpret online, no worries.....the 'net takes all the timbre and sarcasm right out of the voice...cheers....

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #79 of 117
my experience has been that people who want a specific tattoo, for a specific reason, get one.... people who have a more generic "I think I'd like a tattoo" almost never end up getting one.  this is probably as things should be......

I also agree that whether or not YOU care about what others think of you-- having tattoos can change the way that some people treat you, and if they are in power, or have something you want-- it becomes a relevant consideration.

I have 2 tats, btw, but both can be stealthed at my discretion.

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #80 of 117
Fido2, my words are harsh because the opinion was stated harshly. Isn't that rather obvious? Saying "I don't like tattoos, here's why." Or simply "I don't like tattoos." or even "I think tattoos are dumb." - those are all opinions. And this is a thread asking for opinions, so fine, right? I think so.

But that's not what was said. Look at the context again. I don't even know what his objective was. Was it to get me and all other tattooed heathens to admit we're idiots and immediately book some removal? Nah, I think it was just trollin'. There's stating an opinions and trollin' for a fight, which I don't come to head-fi to do anymore, so I pretty well ignore it. 

You have to look at the context. I have nothing against him or his opinion, but the aggro was what I was answering, moreso than his opinion and right to have it. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #81 of 117

Quote:

I also agree that whether or not YOU care about what others think of you-- having tattoos can change the way that some people treat you, and if they are in power, or have something you want-- it becomes a relevant consideration.

I agree with this.....

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #82 of 117

Quote:
[size=10pt]well, ok, I'll play too, thank goodness there are those at HF that don’t take themselves too seriously...if you are worried about whether you are becoming a conformist by getting tattoos, or if you are by being bound by the chains of the conformist if you got tattoos like the rest of the sheep at the show, wouldn’t the only upgratis option be to totally commit to being a non-conformist and skip the show entirely? You then would be not conforming to a collective view; this being a show others are also viewing and participating in, and it separates you from having the same thoughts as other people like “Man, this band rocks” or “Man, that drummer is intense”. If you did not go to the show, you would be a total non-conformist, no one could tell you “you fell in line with the rest of them at that show clapping and yelling” because you didn’t fall in line, you didn’t go!  That way you can shout from the roof tops “I am free”…something like that….[/size]

So you're saying that enjoying the power and intensity of live music as opposed to the recording is somehow the same as getting my body scarred and painted? What am I "conforming" too by simply going to a show and listening to the music?  Perhaps you are worried that you really are not free and you need to shout about your freedom by getting inked up? Is that how you feel free?  Is this the secret inner message that's painted on the skin?
I mean a tattoo is an advertisement to some degree by it's very nature.
 On another level, the tattoo has gone into all segments of society today. There was a time when it was taboo or cool or different to have one. Now it's just what everybody's doing. There seem to be more folks that have tats than do not. So yes it's become some kind of new badge of "conformity" or flavor of the day style. So, I'm still out. And I'm still going to attend live metal shows!  
bigsmile_face.gif

I think you are trying to paint me as an elitist but that's not the case at all. I'm no better than anyone and probably much worse than most. I can also be declared a sheep for some of my beliefs and activities. These are just my OPINIONS on tattoos as per the OP title.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #83 of 117

Quote:
I'll never understand the appeal of tattoos. And yeah, the older people get the more paranoid they become with their looks. It's really frightening and strange (to me). More so with women than men.

If you like a design or some piece of art enough to plaster it onto your skin, why not frame it and hang it on the wall in your bedroom? Then when you get sick of it you can just take it down.

@ plainsong: This is all he really said. Seems like a reasonable opinion to me?

Quote:
Fido2, my words are harsh because the opinion was stated harshly. Isn't that rather obvious? Saying "I don't like tattoos, here's why." Or simply "I don't like tattoos." or even "I think tattoos are dumb." - those are all opinions. And this is a thread asking for opinions, so fine, right? I think so.

But that's not what was said. Look at the context again. I don't even know what his objective was. Was it to get me and all other tattooed heathens to admit we're idiots and immediately book some removal? Nah, I think it was just trollin'. There's stating an opinions and trollin' for a fight, which I don't come to head-fi to do anymore, so I pretty well ignore it. 

You have to look at the context. I have nothing against him or his opinion, but the aggro was what I was answering, moreso than his opinion and right to have it. 
beerchug.gif

None of us are perfect. That's for sure my friend.
beerchug.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #84 of 117

Quote:

Quote:
So you're saying that enjoying the power and intensity of live music as opposed to the recording is somehow the same as getting my body scarred and painted

No. Not even close. How is that even in the conversation? What? 

Quote:
What am I "conforming" too by simply going to a show and listening to the music?

You are conforming to be like everyone else who likes the exact same music and goes to the same exact show and claps when promted. You made a point in your first post about not conforming by adding a tattoo when you see them at all the shows, i.e. you want to be different by not being tattoo'd. I say be different by not going to said show. Be really different. Please re-read posts again. Sarcasim.

Quote:
Perhaps you are worried that you really are not free and you need to shout about your freedom by getting inked up? Is that how you feel free? Is this the secret inner message that's painted on the skin?

Yes. This is my worry and exactly how I feel, how did you know that? The secret message can only be seen however when de-coded by the super ruby sphere

Quote:
I mean a tattoo is an advertisement to some degree by it's very nature.

True. 

Quote:
On another level, the tattoo has gone into all segments of society today. There was a time when it was taboo or cool or different to have one.

[size=x-small]"....that was when society was not quite ready for this type of music....that's when punk rock was dangerous...You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little $%&^^ pierced and your little doc martin boots and your crazy color for your hair....You walked down the street with blue hair...you were going to get in a fight with about 5 angry construction workers, or the local college football team, red-necks or cops.... Yeah, sometimes they kicked our a**... but sometimes we beat the F out of them. That's right, I was about 4 foot fu!!ing 8, and I hit the biggest mother!!er there..." [/size]

[size=x-small]Mike Ness[/size]
[size=x-small]                                                                                                                          [/size]

Quote:
Now it's just what everybody's doing. There seem to be more folks that have tats than do not.

Maybe society has become more accpeted of people's individuality and care more about what's under the skin then on? 

Quote:
So yes it's become some kind of new badge of "conformity" or flavor of the day style.

but this is a silly statement to me... 

Quote:
So, I'm still out. And I'm still going to attend live metal shows!

metal show conformist...devil horns and lighters when cued

bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I think you are trying to paint me as an elitist but that's not the case at all. I'm no better than anyone and probably much worse than most.

I know many elitists, and sir, you are not one of them...

Quote:
I can also be declared a sheep for some of my beliefs and activities

There is nothing wrong with this...

see comments in bold....cheers

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #86 of 117
Oh you forgot the part where my opinion stinks. Anyways, you're always conforming to something. The way you wear your hair, the clothes, the stuff you carry, the car you drive or the bus you ride. It's all conforming to something. If you don't have tattoos, then someone will say you're conforming to that. If you do have them, then others will say you're conforming to THAT. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about it. Even if it's kanji and barbed wire and meaningless tribal and celtic bands - if that's what you want, then who cares?

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #87 of 117
Collars are choking,

Pants are expensive,

Jackets are itchy and hot,

So tattooin' Ruth made me a suit.

Now folks think I'm dressed-

When I'm not.

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #90 of 117

Quote:
Oh you forgot the part where my opinion stinks. Anyways, you're always conforming to something. The way you wear your hair, the clothes, the stuff you carry, the car you drive or the bus you ride. It's all conforming to something. If you don't have tattoos, then someone will say you're conforming to that. If you do have them, then others will say you're conforming to THAT. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about it. Even if it's kanji and barbed wire and meaningless tribal and celtic bands - if that's what you want, then who cares?

I said your analogy stunk, not your opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back