Opinions on Tattoos
Jul 18, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #61 of 117

Quote:
When I was in college, my friends and I all went to a tattoo place.  This was around 1979 or 1980. I was indecisive and didn't get one.  My friends all got small tattoos either on their ankles, upper back near their shoulders, or just below their panty line on their bellies.  Now that we're all 50, I'm really glad I didn't get one then.  Add a few pounds, lose a few pounds, have a baby or three -- with the exception of my one friend who got a butterfly on her ankle, those tattoos all look pretty horrible now.

I have nothing against tattoos, and like looking at them on other people.  Just think waaay ahead in time when you're thinking about what you're getting, where you're going to put it, etc.

Very true. If you must get a tattoo, at least pick a spot that isn't likely to sag. So that would mean ankle, shoulder, or upper arm are the safest I would think. Plus, those spots are all work safe.

That said, some tattoos do look just too cool.
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #62 of 117
Im pretty sure when around the age of 50 i wont care so much about how i look with my tatts.. Its not like i will be out flaunting them. Each to there own imo.   
     Quote:
When I was in college, my friends and I all went to a tattoo place.  This was around 1979 or 1980. I was indecisive and didn't get one.  My friends all got small tattoos either on their ankles, upper back near their shoulders, or just below their panty line on their bellies.  Now that we're all 50, I'm really glad I didn't get one then.  Add a few pounds, lose a few pounds, have a baby or three -- with the exception of my one friend who got a butterfly on her ankle, those tattoos all look pretty horrible now.

I have nothing against tattoos, and like looking at them on other people.  Just think waaay ahead in time when you're thinking about what you're getting, where you're going to put it, etc.

Jul 19, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #63 of 117
I wonder how that very busy biomech tattoo is going to look in 5 or 10 years. I just don't feel that style I guess. When I first started noticing tattoo art, I hated Western traditional. Now? I'm pretty much all about it and the new things being done with it. Funny how that works.

When I was in college, tattoo studios were illegal in my state, so the state of tattoos and piercings were pretty bad. All that did was give rise to scratchers and spread disease. 
confused_face.gif

They're legal now but the effects are still felt in that there are exactly no decent studios. You're only hope is for someone to do a guest spot from All or Nothing in Atlanta, for example. Luckily they do that from time to time.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #64 of 117

Quote:
Im pretty sure when around the age of 50 i wont care so much about how i look with my tatts.. Its not like i will be out flaunting them. Each to there own imo.   
     Quote:

You'll be surprised.  You might not know many people around 50, but I do.  Almost all are scrupulous about their looks and would be horrified to have out-of-focus, faded ink.

Jul 19, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #65 of 117
I'll never understand the appeal of tattoos. And yeah, the older people get the more paranoid they become with their looks. It's really frightening and strange (to me). More so with women than men.

If you like a design or some piece of art enough to plaster it onto your skin, why not frame it and hang it on the wall in your bedroom? Then when you get sick of it you can just take it down.

Jul 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #67 of 117
Your analogy stinks. Spinning a disc on your finger won't allow you to even hear the music. Getting art hung on the wall instead of on your body still allows you to enjoy it regardless.

Yeah, dude, it does.

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #69 of 117
I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for years now. Growing up listening to heavy metal, playing in metalbands for years, touring through Europe and generally living in a scene where tattoos are as common as sand in the sahara I've always felt I should take the plunge as well. Seeing everyone around me getting more and more inked never actually got me INTO the tattoo parlour though. In a scene where tattoos are almost compulsory I've always questioned my own reason for getting a tattoo. Is it because I've grown so accustomed to seeing them every day that I feel I should have one too and am incomplete without or do I truly feel it would add something to my personality and life, regardless of the unoriginality of having a tattoo these days? 

If I ever should decide on a tattoo, I'd want it to be something unrelated to trend, icon or common metaphor. Preferably something a friend, or even I designed that holds meaning to my self and my own only. 

Biomechanical designs can be great to look at and be technically and artistically very proficient but like tribals/Samoan/Japanese/Americana/whatever they are a trend and in my opinion unsuited for a life-long memory or a part of my own body. :)

Jul 20, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #70 of 117

Quote:
I'm currently living in Helsinki. Going to Sweden is also a possibility as I am fluent in Swedish. That kind of inside information is very useful as
if I would take one it would have to be a very reliable place and also something that might require skill due to the amount of detail. Any other places you would recommend? I'd have to say that price is not an issue with something that will last a lifetime.

There are some amazing tattooists in Sweden, possibly due to the massive hardcore scene over there

Quote:

These are my thoughts on the topic, as I am, what some may consider, heavily tattooed, not as heavily as others, but I have some experience in this field. My wife has no ink anywhere, FYI, and married me anyway. I have been promoted many times in my current job and my immediate boss knows that I am tattooed. However, I usually wear a suit and tie or at least business casual to work, and when meeting with clients either in the field, or at the office, I always wear long sleeves (short sleeves look silly with a suit and tie anyway!). If golfing with clients, etc, I wear a long sleeve, Nike dry fit shirt under my golf shirt and have never once been asked why. One rule I will always live by when it comes to placement, NO neck tattoos, nothing above the collar bone. Also, nothing from the wrist down that can’t be covered with shirt sleeves. It’s just much easier to cover then to have to potentially win narrow minds.

I was first inked at 15 and now am 33. If I had some first advice, it would be to research, research, and research more the artist that you are going to use. All artists have different styles that they excel in. Go talk to them, if it’s by email, dropping in their shop, a phone call, whatever. Make sure you are comfortable with the shop and artist. This is very very important. Once you get comfortable, WORK with your artist on the image you want to convey, where you want to convey it, and be forward thinking. Plan out where you may get your next tattoo, even if you say to yourself, “I’m only getting one”, have a backup plan ready for down the road so your body doesn’t look like random pieces thrown on it. The art will most likely be on your body forever. If you were in the US, I could help more, but it seems that you are getting some good advice already on this board, so don't dismiss what others in this thread have said. I have reag many valid points, both from the "pro" and "con" tattoo supporters. This decision should be one you feel good about and psyched for. If for any reason you feel a hint of something not feeling right or anxiety after going through the research gathering process, pull out and re-evaluate, don’t do ANYTHING in a rush. Anyway, I could go on and on.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Also, to whomever said it, thanks for the nice Hoffman shout out. He is one of the godfathers of tattooing.

This man knows! Excellent advice, couldn't have put it better myself

Personally speaking, I have 6 tattoos of various styles and sizes. I'm booked in with Bugz (genius, absolute genius) for a half body piece later in the year

I'd echo what others have said about where to get them, mine can all be covered with long sleeves and collared shirts. Just!

I've never understood the animosity towards tattooed people from those without. Yes it's permanent, but if you're going to permanently mark your body, you'd imagine that the majority of people doing so would give it serious thought

And hey, if I worried about what is going to happen or what I'm going to look like at 70, I'd never get anything done!

Research research research. Cannot be stressed enough

Jul 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #72 of 117

Quote:
Well for someone who likes to collect tattoos, the analogy stands. Sorry you can't see past yourself dude.

WOW! For an open minded, free thinking, "I own my body by God" individual, these are harsh words towards one man's opinion. IMO.
bigsmile_face.gif

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting a tattoo for years now. Growing up listening to heavy metal, playing in metalbands for years, touring through Europe and generally living in a scene where tattoos are as common as sand in the sahara I've always felt I should take the plunge as well. Seeing everyone around me getting more and more inked never actually got me INTO the tattoo parlour though. In a scene where tattoos are almost compulsory I've always questioned my own reason for getting a tattoo. Is it because I've grown so accustomed to seeing them every day that I feel I should have one too and am incomplete without or do I truly feel it would add something to my personality and life, regardless of the unoriginality of having a tattoo these days? 

If I ever should decide on a tattoo, I'd want it to be something unrelated to trend, icon or common metaphor. Preferably something a friend, or even I designed that holds meaning to my self and my own only. 

Biomechanical designs can be great to look at and be technically and artistically very proficient but like tribals/Samoan/Japanese/Americana/whatever they are a trend and in my opinion unsuited for a life-long memory or a part of my own body. :)

I agree. I'm not a musician but I go to many metal and rock shows and everyone seems to have tatts. I decided that I would be free and nonconformist by not conforming to the tribal ink addiction/persuasion/seduction.

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #73 of 117

Quote:

I agree. I'm not a musician but I go to many metal and rock shows and everyone seems to have tatts. I decided that I would be free and nonconformist by not conforming to the tribal ink addiction/persuasion/seduction.

..wouldn't it be more 'nonconformist' and 'free' if you didnt go to the shows at all?

Jul 21, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #75 of 117
How on earth are you a non-conformist when you refuse to go see and hear the music you love being performed live? Sounds more like a masochist to me. In my book being free means being able to enjoy the things you love without hinder. Are you suggesting that people only visit metal shows to be part of the group? Does this count for people that visit the opera as well?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back