Opinions on high end Aliexpress IEM's?
Sep 29, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #46 of 57
I do notice one interesting fact about the phones on Aliexpress. It is the Japanese that are embracing these phones in droves. Don't know why or what function it has to show from where these earphones are being bought but what initially attracted me to get the HK6 was that there was numerous Japanese enthusiasts that bought them. In fact when I bought the HK6 I was the very first non Japanese that bought one. There was 4 or 5 pages of Japanese that bought them before me.

My point is this. How often can you find a multi BA iem in Japan for a reasonable price. Or something like a 6 driver hybrid like the newer BGVP DMG for $140. This thing has 4 knowles and a dual graphene dynamic. Unreal for the cost. Everything in Japan that is designed in Japan is expensive. Everything. Look at the new Sony Iems for example. Then there are these Chinese vendors that are selling exotic looking customized shelled earphones that not only look and built the same way custom earphones are, but actually sound very nice being sold for a fragment of the cost of something like this with a similar spec out of Japan and they are being snapped up left and right. Ultimately I don't care if these folks are Japanese or where ever they are from. These guys have to pay with their hard earned money to get these. Who don't want a better deal on a great sounding earphone?.

Someone show me a 6BA earphone made out of Japan that cost $200. A 10BA earphone with 4 crossovers for $360.

The answer to that is. There is no such earphone. The Japanese are buying these earphones and getting their friends to get them too. I am 100% certain they are blogging about them , reviewing them and probably have a Japanese equivalent to headfi that they chat about these phones like we are now.

If anything these are gaining in popularity in not only Japan but the rest of the world too.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2018 at 1:23 AM Post #47 of 57
I do notice one interesting fact about the phones on Aliexpress. It is the Japanese that are embracing these phones in droves. Don't know why or what function it has to show from where these earphones are being bought but what initially attracted me to get the HK6 was that there was numerous Japanese enthusiasts that bought them. In fact when I bought the HK6 I was the very first non Japanese that bought one. There was 4 or 5 pages of Japanese that bought them before me.

My point is this. How often can you find a multi BA iem in Japan for a reasonable price. Or something like a 6 driver hybrid like the newer BGVP DMG for $140. This thing has 4 knowles and a dual graphene dynamic. Unreal for the cost. Everything in Japan that is designed in Japan is expensive. Everything. Look at the new Sony Iems for example. Then there are these Chinese vendors that are selling exotic looking customized shelled earphones that not only look and built the same way custom earphones are, but actually sound very nice being sold for a fragment of the cost of something like this with a similar spec out of Japan and they are being snapped up left and right. Ultimately I don't care if these folks are Japanese or where ever they are from. These guys have to pay with their hard earned money to get these. Who don't want a better deal on a great sounding earphone?.

Someone show me a 6BA earphone made out of Japan that cost $200. A 10BA earphone with 4 crossovers for $360.

The answer to that is. There is no such earphone. The Japanese are buying these earphones and getting their friends to get them too. I am 100% certain they are blogging about them , reviewing them and probably have a Japanese equivalent to headfi that they chat about these phones like we are now.

If anything these are gaining in popularity in not only Japan but the rest of the world too.

Oh? So we need Japanese translators. Interesting as I don’t remember seeing a ton of Chinese exotic IEMs in Tokyo this year. Though it’s maybe an underground phenomenon; where enthusiasts are purchasing mail-order?

Sep 29, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #49 of 57
US
1 piece
11 Sep 2018 19:23
J***.
CA
1 piece
03 Sep 2018 12:08
H***.
JP
1 piece
03 Sep 2018 01:25
K***.
JP
1 piece
02 Sep 2018 23:42
H***.
JP
1 piece
01 Sep 2018 04:27
H***.
JP
1 piece
31 Aug 2018 23:18
screw.
JP
1 piece
31 Aug 2018 21:14
Y***.
JP
1 piece
31 Aug 2018 07:05
Y***.
JP
1 piece
31 Aug 2018 07:03
V***.
RU
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 22:36
screw.
ES
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 16:36
T***.
JP
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 16:30
S***.
JP
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 08:14
D***.
US
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 06:17
M***.
JP
1 piece
30 Aug 2018 05:57
G***.
JP
1 piece
29 Aug 2018 19:43
Y***.
JP
1 piece
29 Aug 2018 11:35
G***.
JP
1 piece
29 Aug 2018 08:55
R***.
JP
1 piece
29 Aug 2018 07:11
K***.
JP
1 piece

This is an example but the JP stands for Japan. As you can see it makes up the majority of the purchases for this particular earphone from NiceHCK. The majority of buyers we are talking 70-80% are the Japanese.

Oct 4, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #50 of 57
Yes do that please it will be interesting. I've tried the Westone w60 at my local store and it was disapointing to me. It sound like a $400 earphone/headphone maybe?

It's been a while - but today I have these two babies next to each other:

W60 - fuller warmer sound, more relaxed, mids a bit more present. Definitively the more fatigue free sound.
AS10 - very similar sounding indeed. No wonder I like both. With one difference the sparkly treble. Bass is close to the W60 - maybe W60 has a bit more texture to it....

The W60 sounds a tad more coherent and I enjoy it more than the AS10 - but to be honest - the difference is shockingly small given the price difference.

Comfort - W60 hands down. look at the size difference - 6 drivers in W60 and 5 with AS10...crazy.

Makes me appreciate the AS10 achievement even more. A stellar performer for the price. The W60 is a IEM that needs to be listened to and adjusted to for some time to really appreciate them, on first listen they might sound a bit dull, but once your brain gets used to them - they really shine.

Cheers

. W60AS10_01.jpg

W60AS10_02.jpg

Oct 5, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #51 of 57
It's been a while - but today I have these two babies next to each other:

W60 - fuller warmer sound, more relaxed, mids a bit more present. Definitively the more fatigue free sound.
AS10 - very similar sounding indeed. No wonder I like both. With one difference the sparkly treble. Bass is close to the W60 - maybe W60 has a bit more texture to it....

The W60 sounds a tad more coherent and I enjoy it more than the AS10 - but to be honest - the difference is shockingly small given the price difference.

Comfort - W60 hands down. look at the size difference - 6 drivers in W60 and 5 with AS10...crazy.

Makes me appreciate the AS10 achievement even more. A stellar performer for the price. The W60 is a IEM that needs to be listened to and adjusted to for some time to really appreciate them, on first listen they might sound a bit dull, but once your brain gets used to them - they really shine.

Cheers

Thanks it might just be burn in that made them shine. And what dac did you use? I'm looking to get a use w80 and I want a portable dac that sound great on them any recommendations?

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #52 of 57
Thanks it might just be burn in that made them shine. And what dac did you use? I'm looking to get a use w80 and I want a portable dac that sound great on them any recommendations?

Oh, wow the W80 is really lovely. A step up from the W60 for sure. I reviewed it a while ago here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/we...ss-dual-mid-and-quad-high-78508.22094/reviews

I used the ES100 balanced when on BT, and recently the ifi xDSD as DAC/Amp. Sometimes also directly from my Pioneer player either in balanced mode or single ended. Sometimes I use them on my Sony DAP too. I found them to be very easy to drive and not too picky about the source.

At my desk I use the Burson Fun or the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon mostly.

Cheers

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #53 of 57
Oh, wow the W80 is really lovely. A step up from the W60 for sure. I reviewed it a while ago here:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/we...ss-dual-mid-and-quad-high-78508.22094/reviews

I used the ES100 balanced when on BT, and recently the ifi xDSD as DAC/Amp. Sometimes also directly from my Pioneer player either in balanced mode or single ended. Sometimes I use them on my Sony DAP too. I found them to be very easy to drive and not too picky about the source.

At my desk I use the Burson Fun or the Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon mostly.

Cheers
Hahaha I've seen your reviews of the iem but didn't notice you wrote the review on showcase. Honestly for me I didn't notice a difference with Westone w60 and w80 when driving them through my phone.

Oct 5, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #54 of 57
Hahaha I've seen your reviews of the iem but didn't notice you wrote the review on showcase. Honestly for me I didn't notice a difference with Westone w60 and w80 when driving them through my phone.
Oh if you have the chance again, take some really treble heavy music and compare back and forth. Also take some tracks with you with a large soundstage and go back and forth, there is quite a difference. Might be the phone as the limiting factor though too...

My saying is always: a good source will make all earphones sound their best, while a bad source will make all earphones sound worse than what they are capable of.

Am not saying your source is bad, but might not be the ideal pairing with these guys.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #55 of 57
Oh if you have the chance again, take some really treble heavy music and compare back and forth. Also take some tracks with you with a large soundstage and go back and forth, there is quite a difference. Might be the phone as the limiting factor though too...

My saying is always: a good source will make all earphones sound their best, while a bad source will make all earphones sound worse than what they are capable of.

Am not saying your source is bad, but might not be the ideal pairing with these guys.
My source is samsung galaxy note 9. I have a sennheiser hd700 amped up with my ifi nano idsd BL and sometimes i would connect my hd700 to my phone just to compare both. I personally don't hear a difference. The only difference is the ifi nano let me hear sounds much louder than my phone that to be expected since the hd 700 is 150 ohm.

I noticed you have the ifi idsd nano as well can you compare how much sound it improve and compare with ifi idsd micro and with your phone using the w80 please. And tell me which one or any other portable amp/dac you have produce the most soundstage because I want a soundstage like hd700 if not more. I'm going back to the store today to make a decision so please tell me asap. And I noticed you have Westone um pro 50 what's the sound difference between it and the w80?

Oct 5, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #56 of 57
I don't have the W80 anymore. Just had it for a few weeks for review. The W60 and UmPro50 are mine though. Bought them from my own money thanks to a great deal. The UmPro50 recently got refreshed and from what I hear, quite nicely.

UmPro50 is quite a bit rolled of treble wise. That's great for fatigue free listening for hours but probably not what you are looking for coming from the HD700. The UmPro50 is rather warm and has maybe a bit less treble than the W60 .but again the new version of the UmPro50 seems to have a bit more treble sparkle.

I liked the UmPro50 more than the W60 in the beginning thanks to the nicer bass .nowadays I am not so sure anymore.

I have to unearth my idsd nano to make the comparison. I always felt with most iems that there is little difference .but not with the bigger over ears. There I always heard a difference and a more fluid and musical experience.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back