Open vs Closed (Headphones)
Jan 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #31 of 36

Quote:
Damn, not an option then, since I have hd 595 and my next open headphone invenstment will be K701s. I need to keep searching then. Need some closed ones for noisy enviroment gaming, traveling etc.

Keep in mind you're going to spend a lot on amping the K701, maybe DAC as well 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #32 of 36

Quote:
Is there any closed headphones that have a good accustic and good soundstage, with crispy and airy vocals? I need a pair of closed headphones, but I like open best, any suggestions? :)

Try the JVC HAFXC51 IEM it is only around $25. It isolates well, yet has very open sounding highs. It needs plenty of burn in for the bass to emerge. I wonder if more expensive microdriver iems will be even better at this. Treble seems to work best if it is not reflected, and a microdriver IEM deeply inserted reduces reflections in the ear canal.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #33 of 36

Quote:

701: clean, balanced, lots of treble, clinical (accurate-sounding to the point of being boring, no feeling)
D2000: V-shaped frequency response (bump in bass, recession in mids and a bump in treble), musical (like, sounds natural and such), very deep sub-bass extension

Could you explain more in detail because I seriously don't know any terms about sound. Especially the V-Shaped frequency response, i really still don't know what that is.

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #34 of 36
You can think of a v shaped sound as if someone took an EQ and made the handles make a V shape. The highs/treble (the higher end of the spectrum, from around as high as a (musical) triangle to as low as a violin or so) are made to be louder and more forward. This will make it seem as though there is more detail. The mids are between the treble/highs and bass/lows, and would be something similar to a guitar (electric or otherwise). Mids add more body to the music. Then there is bass/lows. I'm sure you know a bit about this, since it is the most popular of the range, especially with everyday consumers. The bass is the lows, the thumping, the subwoofer, the deep part of the music. Bass adds more heft, and a lot of people like bass because it is punchy and boisterous.

A V curve (or U curve) has stronger treble and bass, and softer mids. These are usually known as "fun" coloring (coloring is how headphones modify the music, the more balanced the headphones, the less the coloring). Headphones with a big U (or V) curve are great for music that uses a lot of highs and lows, like rap, electronic music, and other such types of music. Mids are usually preferred for rock.

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #35 of 36
When I listen to rock I tend to prefer an s curve. Raise the highest frequencies for the sparkle, lower 8khz to reduce fatigue, raise the lowest frequencies for the sub bass, lower the mid bass to increase clarity in the bassline, and the mids. I play around with the middle frequencies depending on varying factors such as the source, song, and phones.

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

The measurements that Tyll did on them sure tell another story.

Quote:

It totally depends on the design. For many new listeners who have never heard open cans, they might be a revelation because the sound, does in fact seem to come from a much greater distance than most inexpensive closed models. Really good closed designs can be great though, as the designer gets to use the cups as a tuned chamber, to get a specific sound. I much prefer the sound of my D7000's to my open models because they retain much of the 'space' that an open design gives you, while, to my ears, also offering the warmth that can only come from a well-tuned closed design. I can liken it to how musicians tend to have a 'space' that they like to perform in, rather than a wide-open field where there are no reflections.

Well said, I also find the closed ones more appropriate for an intimate/personal listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back