Open or Closed cans for movies ?
Feb 3, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 24
Thanks. I agree with you about bass and soundstage, but is bass or soundstage more important for movies?

I'm trying to decide on an over ear can for movies, plugged into my A/V receiver. Budget about $75.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 24
For me its soundstage, but you should already know from your own experience with speakers and in theaters what it is for you.

Problem is that few open (or semi-open) cans I would recommend are available new within your modest budget.  The K240 studio and the HD 518 sometimes are priced within or close to the top of your budget.

Another issue is that almost all modern A/V receivers have crappy headphone out sections.  They chisel on that and use the money for other features.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 24
Thanks again. I think I'll raise my budget a little. Is there anything better than these 3 for about $90? Which would you choose?

1) AKG K240 Studio

2) Senn. HD518

3) Senn. HD558

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 24
Hello!

You should also consider:
- Takstar Hi-2050
- Pioneer Se-A1000

Both have their strengths, and both are really good for the money.

Best Luck!

Feb 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #9 of 24
Go with the HD558. You can even easily mod them to make them more similar to the more expensive HD598: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #10 of 24
When your listening to your new cinema headphones be sure to play with the settings. The Yamaha I was using had a silent cinema mode but I liked stereo better if I remember right?

Feb 11, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 24
If you're in a quiet environment open is generally more life-like sounding for movies, but sometimes a more intimate closed headphone might be preferable. In general there's a reason they make open/semi-open headphones that leak sound, if they didn't sound better (in some ways) it would be just a very bad design.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #15 of 24
I think if you like action movies, be sure to pick an open headphone with solid 20hz extension, not one that rolls off a lot in the sub bass region. That, with the bigger soundstage of open headphones, would be a good combination to me. However, given your budget, I'd probably stick to closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back