Open or Closed cans for movies ?
Feb 15, 2015 at 3:08 AM Post #16 of 24
Feb 15, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #18 of 24
I prefer open for movies, personally.

Me too. The AKG k701s are really cool for movies but need a special amp. The other factor not mentioned yet is comfort. Your going to need comfort because most movies are long!

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 24
Go with the HD558. You can even easily mod them to make them more similar to the more expensive HD598: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

!!  Whoa, I had no idea.  Thanks for sharing that.  It really shouldn't surprise anyone though.  For decades this has been how Senn separates one high end model from the next one down the chain.  HD600/580... HD565/545.  there are probably others too.  You could throw the HD650 to the top of that list from the raw speaker driver element standpoint, although its mesh baffle plate differs from the others.

Spectral decay plot is nearly identical, same goes for FR!!
Modded 558:

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 24
!!  Whoa, I had no idea.  Thanks for sharing that.  It really shouldn't surprise anyone though.  For decades this has been how Senn separates one high end model from the next one down the chain.  HD600/580... HD565/545.  there are probably others too.  You could throw the HD650 to the top of that list from the raw speaker driver element standpoint, although its mesh baffle plate differs from the others.

What, so your saying that Senn occludes the driver so they can charge less for a compromised headphone. All this because it costs less to lessen the sound quality of a good driver opposed to making a different lesser driver?:mad:

Feb 15, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 24
What, so your saying that Senn occludes the driver so they can charge less for a compromised headphone. All this because it costs less to lessen the sound quality of a good driver opposed to making a different lesser driver?
mad.gif

I don't know about that.  I DO however know the HD580/600 share the same identical driver and pads.  The HD565/545 likewise share the same driver and ear pads.  Primary difference in all these models is the perforated grill on the outside.  FWIW the 598 and 558 do use different earpads though, not sure if the difference goes beyond color cosmetics.  the CSD plots I posted would suggest the earpads are acoustically identical.

And to be fair, Senn has never been the only one to do this.  Koss has used various implementations of the KSC and portapro drivers.  Grado SR60/80/40/iGrado use the same drivers.  Of course AKG the K701 drivers are used in several different headphones.

Feb 17, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #22 of 24
  I don't know about that.  I DO however know the HD580/600 share the same identical driver and pads.  The HD565/545 likewise share the same driver and ear pads.  Primary difference in all these models is the perforated grill on the outside.  FWIW the 598 and 558 do use different earpads though, not sure if the difference goes beyond color cosmetics.  the CSD plots I posted would suggest the earpads are acoustically identical.

And to be fair, Senn has never been the only one to do this.  Koss has used various implementations of the KSC and portapro drivers.  Grado SR60/80/40/iGrado use the same drivers.  Of course AKG the K701 drivers are used in several different headphones.

Yep. The HD600 seems to be a slightly improved version of the HD580. The HD580, HD600 and HD650 seems to be in the same "line". However the HD558 is clearly the HD555's successor. Thus the HD5x8 may use the same driver ("improved", perhaps) as the HD5x5, but I don't think the HD600 line has the same driver with the HD5x8 line.

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:01 AM Post #23 of 24
Man this is a really good topic, and one that i struggle with often. My best advice is to find a pair of open cans that still have bass(X2's)....but im having trouble with suggestions at that price point.

I mainly use my Philips X2's for movies(kind of best of both worlds here)...sometimes my k7xx...but occasionally go closed with the vmoda m100...and my recently just acquired th-x00's. 

I love having the soundstage and detail of open cans...but understand needing that "thump" for explosions, but one thing I have really noticed is that movie audio really brings out the low end nicely on any headphone, maybe its just me being engaged in the moment but i enjoy my k7xx's (which are very analytical and light on the bass) very much plugged into my avr. I have never felt like I was in need of more bass. 

So I guess mostly, as stated previously, get something that is light, comfortable, and breathable first and foremost...and I would maybe tilt the scales a little more to the open side of things as being my preference as opposed to closed bass cans. I also have the senn hd595, (earlier 598) but havent used them in several years...they would have been a nice pickup on black friday for $99. Definitely not a bass headphone though. 

So long story short I say open backs for me :)

Dec 14, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #24 of 24
  Man this is a really good topic, and one that i struggle with often. My best advice is to find a pair of open cans that still have bass(X2's)....but im having trouble with suggestions at that price point.

This! Plus the comfort level. Got to stay comfy when going over the entire Star Wars saga in one sitting or binge watching a new series :wink:
Open backs have my preference for film and TV (and also for most music); just gives more of a spatial feel to the whole thing. If the recording is done right it can still sound intimate and in the middle of the action when needed, but it is also nice when stuff happening far away actually sounds far away.
That being said, a good closed back can with a decent soundstage will already do admirably and there are more good closed options at this price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back