Open Headphones Better Than Closed?
Sep 11, 2010 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Whyifide

New Head-Fier
My friend told me that open headphones are better than closed because closed headphones muddy down the highs and mids, no matter how well you produce the pair. He also claims that closed headphones color the sound whereas open headphones are better for analytical stuff. How much of this is true? The only thing I can see that's wrong with closed is the heat and comfort issue.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 12
If you take the same headphone yes the open version tend to be better as in less coloured if that was the design goal.

But do a search there is lot of topics about this.

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #3 of 12
Generally at a given price point yes since you are paying extra for the isolation.  Open headphones tend to sound more spacious, airy, and natural instead of boxed in.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 12
I have an open Sennheiser HD 238 and the closed AD5000 from Denon. The first being an entry level and the other on the high end. I prefer the Denon and I don't sense any strong coloration nor any sorth of boxy sound. Of course that the headphone is just one among several elements. Conclusion if possible go and test by yourself otherwise subjective judgments and general impressions may not lead to the best decision. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Judge a pair of headphones on your needs and its individual merits. 

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Judge a pair of headphones on your needs and its individual merits. 

True statement.  If you plan on using them while traveling, it may not be a good idea to have open phones since everyone else will get to listen to the music with you.  Determine your primary use and needs/wants and that should get you headed in the right direction.

Sep 11, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 12
it is all about the sound in the end.  get what sounds best to you..there is no better.  I have never heard an open headphone that produce the bass of my closed denon AHD5000.  in fact,if i am not wrong the beyer DT48 is one of the most neutral and flat sounding headphone in existence and they are closed.

Sep 11, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 12
It's hard to say one headphone is "better" than another because of a single design choice.  The difference between open and closed headphones is the decision to leave the backs open or closed.  One style isn't "better" than the other but there are reasons and consequences behind each choice.

When it comes to air chambers, there are three kinds, maybe four.  Closed cans seal the backs, much like acoustic-suspension loudspeakers.  This creates the most isolation.  It also allows the back waves to be used to reset the diaphragm.  This design produces the loudest response, which is why it's a favorite among cheap headphones.  Bass slam is strong because it has the backs to use as a kind of backstop.  Unfortunately, such cans also have the most resonance to deal with.  With nowhere to vent the drivers' backwaves, these phones have to utilize some damping technique or produce ringing, distortion or an overdose of bass.

Open cans go the opposite route.  With the backs removed, resonance is greatly reduced.  There's typically less bass but the quality of the presentation - from top to bottom - is clearer and tighter.  Without the secondary waves (backwaves introduced into the presentation a fraction of a second behind the front waves), you get less output but the output tends to be tighter and clearer, with better detail, soundstage and clarity.  Many audiophiles prefer open cans for this very reason.  On the other hand, open cans leak bass and don't rely on backwaves to supplement the bass.  As a result, open cans are less bassy but they can also seem bass lite.

One hybrid of the open/closed continuum is a bass reflex system.  Many drivers contain a series of holes that radiate around the driver baffle.  AKG famously used passive radiators in its K240 Sextett.  When AKG replaced the passive radiators with cloth/air-covered holes, other companies followed suit.  Now, a great many headphones that are advertised as either open or closed are actually using some form of bass reflex.  This is similar to loudspeakers with ports or passive radiators.  These holes help the driver vent some of its HF while allowing bass from the back waves to get mixed in.  Some people like it, particularly where the bass on opened cans has been understated.  Others dislike it, calling this bass "flabby" and "uncontrolled."

Another hybrid of the open/closed continuum is the semi-open system.  A number of headphones that call themselves "open" are actually semi-open.  That's because a truly open system, while it provides great clarity and detail, may struggle to provide enough bass or bass slam to satisfy consumers.   There are lots of designs that reduce the "openness" of the open back in an effort to get a workable mix of bass and HF.

Sep 11, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 12

My friend told me that open headphones are better than closed

why choosing? there's a handful of semi-closed phones that sound great...hardcore closed phones sound boxy and often carry a narrow SS(except for the Ultrasone SLogic+ and the CD900ST IME) and open phones don't isolate from the outside noise whatsoever...a semi-closed will offer the advantages of closed(isolation, good bass response) and open(very wide SS, enough air to let your ears breathe, less inner-cups resonances). Compromises do pay off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back