Open, comfortable alternative to the bassmonster ATH-M50?
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DefBringer

New Head-Fier
Well guys, after a week of ownership I think I've decided the M50 just isn't for me. I'm happy with the sound. The comfort, the sweaty ears after 15 minutes....I just can't tolerate it. And yes, I've stretched them out.

Can anyone here recommend a quality open headphone that is ultra comfortable and has an impressive deep end like the M50?

I have a DT880 and I absolutely love it but the lower end is weak. So I'm looking for an open "bass monster" alternative to the M50. Is there such a thing?

Ideally I'd like to go un-amped but if an amp is necessary, I'll have to get by with something like a FiiO E9.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2 of 13
HD650?

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 13
Or perhaps AKG's K240 studio as well as Beyerdynamic's DT 990.

Feb 23, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
 I have a DT880 and I absolutely love it but the lower end is weak. So I'm looking for an open "bass monster" alternative to the M50. Is there such a thing?

Ideally I'd like to go un-amped but if an amp is necessary, I'll have to get by with something like a FiiO E9.

I have the DT880 600ohm and it hits hard and low when called for. Listening to some Trentemøller and it's deeper than my Ultrasone HFI-780s, really textured and pleasurable, not flabby at all. As far as amping I would skip the Fiio, nothing more than a toy, and buy a tube amp for around $200 plus. I'd also recommend the Zero DAC for around $100 which has a built in DAC using op-amps.

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 13
I went from the M50 to the HD650 for similar reasons. It's not entirely a linear progression, as the HD650 signature is different (more lush and organic than the comparitively cold sounding M50), but I could not be happier with the decision.

Finding the right synergy with components in your chain is key imo. There is a discussion in the Audio-GD Pheonix thread about the myth of the HD650 only benefiting from bright components. I agree with the views there and have found first hand, even on my modest setup, how great the HD650 sounds with gear that's a tad on the warm side of neutral.

For this reason I'd suggest you look at the entry level Audio-GD gear if on a budget (NFB-12/Sparrow). Not only do you get a neutral and discrete amp section with very good power supply, but also a nice dac with great resolution and transparency.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
 As far as amping I would skip the Fiio, nothing more than a toy, and buy a tube amp for around $200 plus. I'd also recommend the Zero DAC for around $100 which has a built in DAC using op-amps.

Not sure I agree with you there, as the E9 is a very credible and affordable desktop amp.

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I have the DT880 600ohm and it hits hard and low when called for. Listening to some Trentemøller and it's deeper than my Ultrasone HFI-780s, really textured and pleasurable, not flabby at all. As far as amping I would skip the Fiio, nothing more than a toy, and buy a tube amp for around $200 plus. I'd also recommend the Zero DAC for around $100 which has a built in DAC using op-amps.

DT880/600 is one of the best can I'd ever owned, and I too have nothing but praise over the bass and trebles. But I guess the OP is looking for boomy sorta bass ("bass monster") and not the crisp clear bass that DT880 delivers. 

As for Fiio, yes it is a toy. Then again, we must all start playing from somewhere isn't it?
By the way, there are cheap tubes that can be gotten at the same price as Fiio too (LD 1 comes into mind).

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 13
The HD650 sounds like it would be good for you, but you'll need an amp. I know they aren't open, but the Denon AH-D2000s should offer a step-up in sound quality and are extremely comfortable. I don't have any issues with sweaty ears wearing them, but I can't guarantee you won't.

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #9 of 13
Hey look, it's Graphicism and his psychobabbling anti-Fiio nonsense.

Jesus Christ.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hey look, it's Graphicism and his psychobabbling anti-Fiio nonsense.

Jesus Christ.

Calm down, you should know everything I write is in my opinion, in your own words "I have clearly stated that is is all my opinion, so don't get butthurt about anything I write."

From your aggression I can see you yourself are 'butthurt', question is why do you care what other people think? Either... you are affiliated with Fiio -or- you believe it to be the end of the line when it comes to amping. Regardless of reason you are relatively new here and could learn from others rather than barking at them.

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11 of 13
Wrong on both counts.

Learning from others? Like you? Yes, let me start calling a product well received by both newbies and veterans a 'toy' in an effort to completely dissuade potential buyers looking to get into this hobby from saving some money and spending a lot more money on a product they may not even necessarily need.

You're so helpful. Right.

I'll bring up something funny. In a recent London mini-meet, I believe one of the people who attended loved the E9 paired up with the T1 so much, he chose it over the T1 over your Darkvoice. The 'toy' isn't just limited to rookies. I won't even bring up the Beta22 vs E9 in the A/B amp comparison thread. I'll leave that to the haters to read.

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 13
˄ When I was first getting into headphones I preferred the Sony SA3000s on a $30 cmoy over a solid state Meier Headfive because the cmoy was adding bass and my source was crap! You can throw all the amplification in the world at a pair of headphones but if your source sucks you're amplifying rubbish.

Theres no magic going on with the Fiio combo, they use interchangeable op-amps (rulling out small form factor and a digital display) which will sound very close to another SS amp/DAC using the same op-amps. When I recommend the Zero over the Fiio combo I do so because it's full size, has digital inputs higher than USB and is cheaper. How you think I'm lulling people into spending more by suggesting a cheaper alternative I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back