Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Dec 19, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #286 of 334
Quote:
Ok, after some more time listening to them I found that they're now more sibilant and bright. It's not fatiguing for me, but it's definately annoying at times. Though not enough to make me stop listening to the song / lower volume / take headphones off.
They sound great this way. I might try take off the center paper...

I would try placing foam used in cheaper headphone earpads in front of the driver first. I used the earpads from my KSC75s, trimmed up to meet the shape I needed. Better to start with non-permanent mods!

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #288 of 334
Quote:
Ok. Do you mean placing the foam between the earpads and driver?

Yeah. You know how there is that foam "donut" surrounding the front of the driver you can see when you take off the earpads? I put it in the middle of that donut, right in front of the driver.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #289 of 334
This is an interesting thread, being an owner of the D2000's.

Assuming that the D5000 / 7000 mod is similar, has anybody asked somebody like Martin Custom Audio, who provide wooden cup mods for the 2000 to provide wooden cup mods with the open cups and grills in place, and if so what sort of results, sound wise resulted??

I amd waiting for wooden cups for my Grado SR80i's and also owning a pair of D2000's just wondered if anybody has anything similar?

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #290 of 334

Quote:
This is an interesting thread, being an owner of the D2000's.

Assuming that the D5000 / 7000 mod is similar, has anybody asked somebody like Martin Custom Audio, who provide wooden cup mods for the 2000 to provide wooden cup mods with the open cups and grills in place, and if so what sort of results, sound wise resulted??

I amd waiting for wooden cups for my Grado SR80i's and also owning a pair of D2000's just wondered if anybody has anything similar?

Well once I put the cups back on (wood) it seemed to help with the timbre (more natural sounding) while still maintaining that very lively and seductive sound signature. I consider them full size EX1000s :) (very airy presentation, I think this is due to the treble). Since the Denon 5000s naturally have less mid bass and more sub bass than the Denon 2000s I feel there is plenty of punch and I can actually hear how deep the bass goes due to how controlled it is (compared to how flabby and uncontrolled without the mod). Out of the 3 denons the 5000 is the only one considered to not have recessed mids from stock. Seems the Denon 7000s have the most issue with the recessed mids (I think this may be due to the treble on the 7000s being more pronounced).

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #291 of 334
Well, I've put some foam from my old Muller headphones (lol). The sound is much less fatiguing and more forgiving for badly recorded music, but the sound is a bit....Muffled, compared to how it is without.
You said taking off the center paper does more or less the same thing, but better, no? I really wouldn't mind the bass getting a bit closer to how it was before the mod.

EDIT: After more listening the foam really makes the sound better. It just feels weird lol.

EDIT2: After even more listening I found out the muffled sound with the foams makes my ears hurt and gets me less excited about music. The sibilance without the foam also hurts a bit, but less than with foam. So I decided I'll use foam with badly recorded music and not use it with properly recorded music.

Dec 20, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #292 of 334
Quote:
Well, I've put some foam from my old Muller headphones (lol). The sound is much less fatiguing and more forgiving for badly recorded music, but the sound is a bit....Muffled, compared to how it is without.
You said taking off the center paper does more or less the same thing, but better, no? I really wouldn't mind the bass getting a bit closer to how it was before the mod.

EDIT: After more listening the foam really makes the sound better. It just feels weird lol.

EDIT2: After even more listening I found out the muffled sound with the foams makes my ears hurt and gets me less excited about music. The sibilance without the foam also hurts a bit, but less than with foam. So I decided I'll use foam with badly recorded music and not use it with properly recorded music.

It takes a lot of experimentation to find foam or another material that doesn't completely muffle the sound. If you're still not happy or really want a bit more bass, try removing that center paper from the back of the driver. I preferred it like that, but it is a permanent mod. I just try to stick with reversible mods first. :)

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:41 AM Post #293 of 334
Ok I removed the center paper and it sounds great! It's sounds a tad muffled, but much less than with foam. And I don't know if it's placebo, but it sounds like there's more detail! Drums also sound better and I'm not getting fatigued from bad recordings anymore.

I think I won't go any farther with modding my Denons. They sound great now and will be great til I get new ones in a couple of months.

Again, thanks for sharing your mods with us! =D

Dec 21, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #294 of 334
Removing the paper does tend to bring out the bass bloat (upper bass, lower mids), which might be contributing to the muffled sound you're hearing. Either way, glad you're liking it!

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #295 of 334
Hey Hans030390,

Many thanks for your explanations and your mod - really cool
I have to say, the mod isn't for me - I tried it by just getting the cups out, and having them "open" so to speak.

I found what you said in the OP, exactly what I heard.

-Opened the soundstage
-Mids and higs became a little sparkly and a little bright (although that might be as I didn't have ANY sort of cups on them)
-Bass is toned down, and doesn't hit as hard/isn't as present
-Less isolation

Overall, for all the trouble I would have to go through, making the holes, getting some new stock cups etc - it isn't worth it + doesn't provide me with what I'm looking for as much.
Not for everybody, as you said, but well worth trying - I know people will like this mod very much!

Here are some pictures I took + a video of my disassembly -> if you want to put that in the OP, to help people? Up to you!

Outer screws, holding cup and driver (longer & rounded)

Inner screw holding frame and driver (short & flat)

Hope this helps!

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #296 of 334
Just curious, but did you raise the earpads off the frame of the headphones using the plastic locking pegs to give some space/air underneath them? Your pictures don't show this, but that's to be expected (gotta use your head to keep those loose earpads in place!).

Either way, thanks for taking the time to try it out and providing the pictures/video! Mine are still being lent out, so I haven't listened to mine in a while. :frowning2:

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #298 of 334
No, the earpads. After you remove the cups, don't lock the earpads back in place. Don't even put those 4 locking pegs in the locking holes. Instead, those locking pegs should be placed on the metal. This gives a small amount of breathing space between the bottom of the earpads and the metal frame they normally seal with and lock into. The earpads won't stay on by themselves like this, of course, so you'll have to keep them on with your head!

This picture from my original post should show you what I mean. See how the earpads aren't locked in and have a gap underneath them? I have velcro holding them onto the headphones in that picture. You will be substituting the velcro with your head while your wear them.

I think this is a key part of the entire open-backed mod. You can read my details in my original post, if you'd like.

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #299 of 334

Quote:
No, the earpads. After you remove the cups, don't lock the earpads back in place. Don't even put those 4 locking pegs in the locking holes. Instead, those locking pegs should be placed on the metal. This gives a small amount of breathing space between the bottom of the earpads and the metal frame they normally seal with and lock into. The earpads won't stay on by themselves like this, of course, so you'll have to keep them on with your head!

This picture from my original post should show you what I mean. See how the earpads aren't locked in and have a gap underneath them? I have velcro holding them onto the headphones in that picture. You will be substituting the velcro with your head while your wear them.

I think this is a key part of the entire open-backed mod. You can read my details in my original post, if you'd like.

ah ha!
Yes understood now :)!

No i didn't try it - I guess that's even more "open" than what I tried lol :p

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #300 of 334

Quote:
ah ha!
Yes understood now :)!

No i didn't try it - I guess that's even more "open" than what I tried lol :p

lol this is what I was trying to tell you totally dubbed. Unless you do this as well you won't get the right sound.  They will sound muddy and slow due to the bass. So in essence you really didn't get the intended effect of the open back mod :wink:.

When I made this mod permanent I decided to buy Velcro and used that to fasten the pads to the driver instead of locking them in place. This allows for the same effect without having to Ma-giver the ear pads.

Hans I really wish you could hear what these denon 5000s sound like with this mod. Just amazing. And with the O2 amp it really shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back