Open Announcement on the HiFiMAN HE-400
Oct 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM Post #17 of 143
Quote:
How do we determine if ours are part of the "recall"?

If your drivers are made of opaque yellow-white plastic (rather than translucent pearl white plastic), then it is from the problematic batch of new units with treble issues.

Photo reference:

new (treble issue) drivers

old drivers (no issues)

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #18 of 143
Well done HiFiMAN.

This quick response nipped the issue in the bud.
I noticed a number of people turning away after hearing about the mixed impressions of the "r3."

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 143
Quote:
If your drivers are made of opaque yellow-white plastic (rather than translucent pearl white plastic), then it is from the problematic batch of new units with treble issues.

Photo reference:

*removed to reduce thread clutter with photo redundancy*

Thank you for the info.  So I took mine out (just received them brand new last week and hadn't had a chance to get familiar with them yet) and after removing the ear pads, mine are really in between those two colors.  They're nowhere near as white as the v2 pic and have no translucency, but mine are more of an off-white color with a slight yellow tint (sort of like you mixed the two photos you posted):

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #22 of 143
Quote:

Thank you for the info.  So I took mine out (just received them brand new last week and hadn't had a chance to get familiar with them yet) and after removing the ear pads, mine are really in between those two colors.  They're nowhere near as white as the v2 pic and have no translucency, but mine are more of an off-white color with a slight yellow tint (sort of like you mixed the two photos you posted):

That's 100% rev 3. I know because it looks exactly like mine. Pretty easy to identify. Rev 2 drivers have zero yellowish tint and are translucent enough to see through.

My drivers for comparison:

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #25 of 143
Well crap, lol, I literally just got these and have to return them.
frown.gif

I received them on October 3rd, 2012 which was Wednesday of last week.  They shipped from the dealer on September 27, 2012.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #26 of 143
Time to purchase he-400. Woohoo.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #28 of 143
Great customer service Hifiman! Best of any company I have ever dealt with.
Concerning the treble peak in rev.3, I noticed it upon my first listen, but it isn't that much IMO. Unfortunately I hearing issues with higher frequencies and it is uncomfortable after just a short amount of listening. I am sure people who are treble heads might actually enjoy rev.3 as it offers bright highs, as well as excellent, well extended lows that I have not heard in any "bright" headphones. But that is just my opinion :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 143
Thanks jerg for the driver info.  I freaked out when I saw the replacement post from HifFiMAN. Mine were bought less than a month ago and I had no idea how to ID the rev 3 from rev 2.  Turns out I have the rev 2.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #30 of 143
Quote:
Great customer service Hifiman! Best of any company I have ever dealt with.
Concerning the treble peak in rev.3, I noticed it upon my first listen, but it isn't that much IMO. Unfortunately I hearing issues with higher frequencies and it is uncomfortable after just a short amount of listening. I am sure people who are treble heads might actually enjoy rev.3 as it offers bright highs, as well as excellent, well extended lows that I have not heard in any "bright" headphones. But that is just my opinion :)

I don't think treble-heads will like this defective treble. It has a ringing peak in the treble, rather than a smooth and overall elevated treble, which is arguably bad quality. It's analogous to saying 'bass-heads will like bloated flabby bass'.

Quote:
Thanks jerg for the driver info.  I freaked out when I saw the replacement post from HifFiMAN. Mine were bought less than a month ago and I had no idea how to ID the rev 3 from rev 2.  Turns out I have the rev 2.

Yeah, I guess a better way to describe rev2 vs rev3 is, rev2 = clear white, rev3 = bone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back