Open Announcement on the HiFiMAN HE-400
Oct 6, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #31 of 143
Thank you for the positive feedback to our HE-400 announcement. I appreciate everyone's understanding and support.

To make the process as clear and easy as possible, we have put together a simple FAQ that will help answer most, if not all, of your questions.

Best Regards,
Fang

HE-400 Recall FAQ

[size=11.0pt]Q) How do I know if my HE-400s are the type that need to be replaced? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) Good version has a grayish/white plastic support while the version we want to replace, it is yellow. Remove the ear pad and open the grill. If the plastic support is yellow, it should be replaced. If it is grayish/white, you are good to go.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) If I bought my HE-400s in the past 30 days, what if they are the older version? How can I tell if they need to be replaced? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) The times mentioned in the announcement refer to HiFiMAN manufacturing. It is possible that the defective versions appeared slightly more than 30 days ago (though we don’t think so) while some HE-400’s sold in the past 30 days might be previous versions and are fine. Simple way to know for certain is to remove the ear pad and open the grill. If the plastic support is yellow, it should be replaced. If it is grayish/white, you are good to go.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) I checked and the plastic support is white. Should I send them back anyway just to be sure? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) No, it is definitely the right version.  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) I am outside the U.S. Is it practical for me to send back my HE-400s? Wouldn’t it just be easier and cheaper to send me a new set?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) When you write to us at customerservice@head-direct.com supply proof of purchase and tell us your location. The HiFiMAN representative will advise next steps. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) Will I have to pay shipping or incur any costs?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) We will pay shipping both ways. We apologize for the inconvenience and want to make this as easy for our valued customers as possible.  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) Will the replacement HE-400 you send out sound identical to the Rev 2? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]Yes.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) What do I need to provide as proof of purchase? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) Provide any of the following: a copy of the receipt from PayPal, your credit card company, from Head-Direct or your authorized HiFiMAN dealer. Email that to customerservice@head-direct.com with a note that you have one of the recent HE-400s with yellow plastic support and that you are asking for a replacement. [/size]

Q) If I have any other questions, who do I contact?
A) customerservice@head-direct.com My team is aware of the situation and they have been instructed to replace all HE-400s with the yellow plastic support.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #32 of 143
Quote:
Thank you for the positive feedback to our HE-400 announcement. I appreciate everyone's understanding and support.

To make the process as clear and easy as possible, we have put together a simple FAQ that will help answer most, if not all, of your questions.

Best Regards,
Fang

HE-400 Recall FAQ

[size=11.0pt]Q) How do I know if my HE-400s are the type that need to be replaced? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) Good version has a grayish/white plastic support while the version we want to replace, it is yellow. Remove the ear pad and open the grill. If the plastic support is yellow, it should be replaced. If it is grayish/white, you are good to go.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) If I bought my HE-400s in the past 30 days, what if they are the older version? How can I tell if they need to be replaced? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) The times mentioned in the announcement refer to HiFiMAN manufacturing. It is possible that the defective versions appeared slightly more than 30 days ago (though we don’t think so) while some HE-400’s sold in the past 30 days might be previous versions and are fine. Simple way to know for certain is to remove the ear pad and open the grill. If the plastic support is yellow, it should be replaced. If it is grayish/white, you are good to go.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) I checked and the plastic support is white. Should I send them back anyway just to be sure? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) No, it is definitely the right version.  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) I am outside the U.S. Is it practical for me to send back my HE-400s? Wouldn’t it just be easier and cheaper to send me a new set?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) When you write to us at customerservice@head-direct.com supply proof of purchase and tell us your location. The HiFiMAN representative will advise next steps. [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) Will I have to pay shipping or incur any costs?[/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) We will pay shipping both ways. We apologize for the inconvenience and want to make this as easy for our valued customers as possible.  [/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) Will the replacement HE-400 you send out sound identical to the Rev 2? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]Yes.[/size]

[size=11.0pt]Q) What do I need to provide as proof of purchase? [/size]
[size=11.0pt]A) Provide any of the following: a copy of the receipt from PayPal, your credit card company, from Head-Direct or your authorized HiFiMAN dealer. Email that to customerservice@head-direct.com with a note that you have one of the recent HE-400s with yellow plastic support and that you are asking for a replacement. [/size]

Q) If I have any other questions, who do I contact?
A) customerservice@head-direct.com My team is aware of the situation and they have been instructed to replace all HE-400s with the yellow plastic support.

Thanks for the clarification!

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #33 of 143
And what about future versions of the he400? Will all future production of the he400 be using the r2 (white) driver or will there be something different?

thanks...

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #35 of 143
I am sure our setups are different, causing the ringing peak in treble to differ. It is hardly noticeable for me. But yes, I fully agree with you on your statement that it is a bad quality to have in any audio setup.
Quote:
I don't think treble-heads will like this defective treble. It has a ringing peak in the treble, rather than a smooth and overall elevated treble, which is arguably bad quality. It's analogous to saying 'bass-heads will like bloated flabby bass'.

Oct 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #36 of 143
Sent another email with my receipt. :)

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #38 of 143
Excellent Customer service Dr Fang, I salute you.
I am a happy owner of the early adopter of HE 400.

Cheers

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #39 of 143
Quote:
And what about future versions of the he400? Will all future production of the he400 be using the r2 (white) driver or will there be something different?

thanks...

+1

Will you replace our He-400 with the old version, or with a brand new (corrected) version?

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #40 of 143
Quote:

thanks...

popcorn.gif

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #41 of 143
Very good after sales support. Last time I received a broken cable for my he500 and they send me a new one with no extra charge I mean for the shipping or anything. Very fast also.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Oct 7, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #42 of 143
@jerg
Do you think mine (my avatar pic) is the rev. 2? I'm 95% sure it is but just want to be more sure and you're the expert. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #45 of 143
Hi, it is Peter from HiFiMAN. All good follow-up questions this morning and Fang has asked me to reply.

Autoexec- that is the driver you want.

Vegards, have a look at autoexec's pic. Also Jerg has posted excellent images elsewhere in this thread. The bad support is a distinct yellow color.

Matt, plan is to stick with the so-called Rev 2 version. It was never HiFiMAN's intention to create different versions. Really the only significant change was from the first model introduced in January to the redesigned driver that appeared in March.That was done for durability and in the process the new version sounded better! Response to that version of HE-400 has been so good that it wouldn't make sense to keep changing it.

The mod with the yellow plastic support was done to strengthen support for the driver. It was not intended to change the sound but unfortunately it did.
eek.gif

Hope that answers the latest round of questions. By tomorrow, you will start getting responses from HiFiMAN customer service.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back