"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #601 of 979
Nov 15, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #602 of 979
IMG_20191115_152925.jpg
Wow, just wow. That is beautiful. The metal flake is sooo smooth and it just pops.

Nov 15, 2019 at 7:35 PM Post #603 of 979
Wow, just wow. That is beautiful. The metal flake is sooo smooth and it just pops.

Yea it's amazing and under the light to my eye has a purple tint but it's more blue in the pic.

Facfox did a great job! I would say for $104 it takes a heap of work out of the equation and the finish is as good as the original Mr.Speakers. Price may vary a bit if getting one set.

XLzp-rk9_400x400.png

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #604 of 979
Yea it's amazing and under the light to my eye has a purple tint but it's more blue in the pic.

Facfox did a great job! I would say for $104 it takes a heap of work out of the equation and the finish is as good as the original Mr.Speakers. Price may vary a bit if getting one set.

XLzp-rk9_400x400.png

Hey fire lion those look amazing! What did you use for some of the settings, such as material, filling, color selection, ect?

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:32 PM Post #605 of 979
Hey fire lion those look amazing! What did you use for some of the settings, such as material, filling, color selection, ect?

Hi

I got it from Facfox, I just asked them what metallics they have in blue and gray. Ended up going with 2 sets of blue.

They actually have 2 of the original designs printed and ready to go(cups only), gray and blue metallic so It might be worth reaching out and seeing are they still on stock.

Nov 17, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #606 of 979
Thanks! I’ll ask them. My main question I’m struggling with is which material was selected. There are several abs choices.

Nov 27, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #609 of 979
I use m3x15. if you want to close it more to reduce bass get a longer screw like m3x20 or m3x25. Alternatively if you can't find metric you can go with 6-32. You can even use a larger screw size like m3.5 or 8-32. No matter what thread you use, you will need to tap the hole with a tap for whatever screw you are using. If you don't tap, you are likely to strip the hex drive pocket on the set screw and get it stuck in there with no way to adjust it or extract it. Don't ask me why I know this.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #610 of 979
I use m3x15. if you want to close it more to reduce bass get a longer screw like m3x20 or m3x25. Alternatively if you can't find metric you can go with 6-32. You can even use a larger screw size like m3.5 or 8-32. No matter what thread you use, you will need to tap the hole with a tap for whatever screw you are using. If you don't tap, you are likely to strip the hex drive pocket on the set screw and get it stuck in there with no way to adjust it or extract it. Don't ask me why I know this.

It sounds pretty good as is so we'll see how it goes. Had a clean sig with many layers and bass was there when needed and can extend deep but not on every track. In short it's very articulate and clean with a warm tint.

Jan 4, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #611 of 979
Cups painted! Awaiting a clear finish.

F3C23D1F-9EC0-42B6-B374-E01D23E72140.jpeg

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #613 of 979
Have any of you tried to experiment with internal damping? I've been modding both mk3 and mk2 versions for years now, but even though I'm not using my pair very often nowadays, I think there is still a potential for improvement.

Ever since I saw the Stellia video on youtube showing its diffuser I can't stop wondering if we could use something similar in our T50 cups
After auditioning many closed backs, the ones from MrSpeakers were the only ones I thought that actually sounded good. Only exception was Stellia so thats why I'm mentioning it and its tech here. I found AFC to sound good, so I'm also really curious about the new AFC2, though AlphaDog still sound special to me and I will probably keep it till the end of days :D

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #614 of 979
Have any of you tried to experiment with internal damping? I've been modding both mk3 and mk2 versions for years now, but even though I'm not using my pair very often nowadays, I think there is still a potential for improvement.

Ever since I saw the Stellia video on youtube showing its diffuser I can't stop wondering if we could use something similar in our T50 cups
After auditioning many closed backs, the ones from MrSpeakers were the only ones I thought that actually sounded good. Only exception was Stellia so thats why I'm mentioning it and its tech here. I found AFC to sound good, so I'm also really curious about the new AFC2, though AlphaDog still sound special to me and I will probably keep it till the end of days :D

I made one for a friend and i accidentally cracked my own cup so waiting on the replacement. I just put in some cotton, some felt on the section around the driver under the pad. I then used cascadia pads. Sounded great but when I get my own up and ruuning I'll be adding the bass screw.

Hopefully this the right size. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072XXDX1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #615 of 979
I just got some new cups for my Open Alphas, and as I was taking apart my existing Open Alphas to transfer the driver, I accidentally pulled the ground trace on one of my drivers, and it's bricked.

I guess I have to go searching for another T50RP, but at least my previous one lasted over 5 years!

Edit:

picture if people want to see my accident:

https://imgur.com/a/SWwYcgF

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back