"Open Alpha" T50 3D printed headphone project from MrSpeakers
Oct 27, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #572 of 979
I have done two sets at lower fill. 15 and 20%. There is a video of Mr Speakers on YouTube explaining that the FDM 3d printing process creates a hollow shell. Meaning hollow inside the walls of the cups, and this helps create the isolation and sound. If you look at a 3d printed object mid way through the printing process you will see a honeycomb or cross hatch infill pattern that creates thousands of tiny individual chambers or one big chamber filled with stacked cross hatched bars. It all depends on the print settings. I've never considered 100%. I wonder what the sound, isolation, and weight differences are? I'm sure they will turn out well and look beautiful.

I haven't seen replacement rail clips, but I could model some easily enough. Do you just need replacement parts or were you wanting something custom or cosmetic?

I could do with 3-4 sets of these and need them as a bump stop for my wooden thunderpants and for each set of the open alpha.

Did they give any suggestions for the damping? I assume something like Silverstone foam on the back and some kind of poly fill.

Oct 28, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #573 of 979
The recommendations on page say: "Before assembly, line the cup with acoustic foam, such as Akasa Paxmate. Fill the cup with your choice of damping material. Alpha dogs used cotton, Alpha Prime switched to wool. Experiment and have fun.".

There are a few accompanying pictures for reference. I have found that if you go with layers of lower density to higher density dampening materials you get better sound stage and more detail. For instance wool next to driver then a doughnut of open cell memory foam, then the closed cell foam like silverstone/paxmate lining the cup. I've never had the chance to open a pair of argons, but they are rumored to be constructed in this fashion as well. You can tweak things quite a bit with the layers and their shapes. If you do doughnuts of softer stuff and line the entire cup with closed cell foam, the doughnut hole allows a little bit of softened reflections while the doughnuts have a more absorbent effect. Also the the thickness of the dampening layers plays a pretty big role. Lots of wool/cotton vs a very thin layer has a noticeable effect. I put my wool on a grain scale to get the two cups as close as possible to each other.

I know what you mean about having 3 or 4 sets. I could have several tuning to choose from that suit different moods/genres.

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #575 of 979
Does anyone here wanted a completed set of the cups, baffles and rings in blue and gray for $150 inc fees and postage? it will be a few weeks until i have them.

They are the original design.

397263C5686583ACF92B700D71AD8409.jpg

D97FB3334C2B6BB9D82EC72FC05F31E6.jpg

Oct 29, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #576 of 979
Does anyone here wanted a completed set of the cups, baffles and rings in blue and gray for $150 inc fees and postage? it will be a few weeks until i have them.

They are the original design.

397263C5686583ACF92B700D71AD8409.jpg

D97FB3334C2B6BB9D82EC72FC05F31E6.jpg

Wow These are beautiful! I 3d printed my own, I didn't get nearly as nice and smooth of a finish on mine.

I've been debating to redo mine to look nicer.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #577 of 979
Wow These are beautiful! I 3d printed my own, I didn't get nearly as nice and smooth of a finish on mine.

I've been debating to redo mine to look nicer.

These are the originals but I having a modded one made up, it's 100% fill and layer so very solid and a few coats of paint i think.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #578 of 979
These are the originals but I having a modded one made up, it's 100% fill and layer so very solid and a few coats of paint i think.

Is this the one with the hirose connectors, or the one where 2.5 or 3.5mm mono jacks can fit?

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #579 of 979
Is this the one with the hirose connectors, or the one where 2.5 or 3.5mm mono jacks can fit?

I am going with modded as i have many mono cables here, these are the original Hirose versions.

Oct 29, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #580 of 979
I am going with modded as i have many mono cables here, these are the original Hirose versions.

Ok I see. I think I am reprinting my cups for the mono 2.5mm jacks as well. What settings are you using on facfox for yours?

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #581 of 979
Ok I see. I think I am reprinting my cups for the mono 2.5mm jacks as well. What settings are you using on facfox for yours?

Yes, they did a few deals but after i specified the paint it went up a bit over standard cost.

Oct 29, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #582 of 979
Yes, they did a few deals but after i specified the paint it went up a bit over standard cost.

What about the material and infill settings? And are you talking about the polish + paint setting with the black gloss color?

Oct 29, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #583 of 979
What about the material and infill settings? And are you talking about the polish + paint setting with the black gloss color?

These are done it's 100% for both and polished and painted.

Oct 30, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #584 of 979

I might be able to get the cup only portions for a vastly reduced cost if anyone is interested, it would mean you have to make the baffle and ring.

Nov 11, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #585 of 979
For those of you using Facfox what material settings are you using? SLA like abs resin? FDM? There are several options for types of ABS FDM. Thanks in advance! And how did it work out with solid vs. hollow printing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back