Onkyo ND-S1 iPod dock
Dec 26, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #181 of 256
im gonna try it out as soon as i get a new one/get mine repaired. apparently it doesnt work that well at all ;-(

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #182 of 256
I am really enjoying the NDS-1, but recently I converted all my music to ALAC, and have found that it cuts out in the middle of songs for a few seconds. Not every song on a CD but it does it for every other song on an album. Do I now have to convert it all back to WAV? I have heard in the mac forums that this is an issue. Have any of you experienced and have a solution for it ?

I am using an Iphone 4 32GB

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #183 of 256
If this thing doesn't work with ALAC it's a fail for me, back to wanting the Wadia I go.

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #185 of 256
updating to 4.2.1 iphone firmware fixes it

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #186 of 256
The 4.2 update fixed the issues reported previously with the iPod Touch 3G.

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #188 of 256
Um why? Jailbroken? Need unlock? Apparently u can jb 4.2.1 now as well

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #190 of 256

[size=medium]
Some days ago I have received a new custom power supply that I ordered from Sean that sells on ebay ( custom.hifi.cables ). He made me a dual PSU for Onkyo dock and the DacMagic and here I my impressions of the unit: 

The Onkyo dock now has less harsh sound and sounds smoother. The difference is subtle but well worth it as I have now ditched a power strip (photo attached). Before both wallwart supplies took 4 inputs on the power strip, now a single hardwired cable going from a custom power strip is needed to power both devices. The custom PSU also has an on/off button and I can now completely turn off the dock (before it was on standby).
The DacMagic was a decent DAC with the bundled wallwart (I have to note that I hate wallwarts). I then bought the Russ Andrews power pack which was 150€ shipped (I think only the Kimber umbilical cord raised the price by 30%). That PSU made noticeable improvements but again it was a wallwart and it made noise. In the manual it stated that it vibrates in order to convert extra energy into vibrations instead of heat. For me that is unacceptable. The custom PSU Sean made for me makes zero noise and doesn't become hot at all. And it encases two PSUs! Sean's PSU kept all the virtues of the upgraded RA PSU but two things I noticed almost instantly when I plugged the new PSU in- the soundstage has become wider and most importantly the bass became tighter. Before the bass was noticeably "bloaty" compared to my other DAC, the Audio GD Reference 5.
The build quality is amazing, the cables are more practical than I ever imagined to be and the best part is as I have already noted before is that only one power cable is needed to power both devices.

He lists a PSU for DM on his site and more info on the circuit can be found there if anyone is interested. I will make some photos and post them later tonight.
[/size]

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #191 of 256
Pleased your PSU quest is over.
Happy listening!

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #192 of 256
Jan 23, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #193 of 256
Nice photos, actually it looks very nice, minimalistic.

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #194 of 256
Get a jitter reclocker like the Monarchy DIP or the pace car. It does wonders for the onkyo dock. Hoping to get one soon, perhaps DIP. they can be found for 150 dollars second hand and reclock the signal to 24/96. Much larger difference than the PSU imo

Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM Post #195 of 256
I don't see the point in spending money on something to reduce jitter considering the Onkyo dock is claimed to be only 10ps and people on DIY forum who measured  the SPDIF signal found it to be remarkably clean. Sounds like another case of jitter paranoia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back