ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 19, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #15,526 of 16,326
Does anybody recognize this or has tips?
I have a SanDisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC Class 10 in Slot 1 in my DP-X1. There is around 90GB of music on it.
If I take it out and use a cardreader with my PC, it is fast as it should be: all files show up almost instantly in Windows Explorer.
But when the card is in the DAP, it is soooo slow. When I connect the DAP with the cable to my PC, it takes ages before even the titels to show up in Windows Explorer. Also in the DAP itself it is slow: the scan of the native Onkyo player takes ages but also my preferred player JetAudio is very slow with scanning. Playing itself is no problem though.

DAP is just like a small computer especially when you even turn on WiFi and/or download and play your musics for awhile it takes lot of junks into your system.
I do not have problems with loading all kinds of musics into my DP-X1 or after listening my musics hours long since I downloaded the free clean and boost software from google play. It works well in my DP-X1...

Mar 19, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #15,527 of 16,326
Does anybody recognize this or has tips?
I have a SanDisk Ultra 128GB Micro SDXC Class 10 in Slot 1 in my DP-X1. There is around 90GB of music on it.
If I take it out and use a cardreader with my PC, it is fast as it should be: all files show up almost instantly in Windows Explorer.
But when the card is in the DAP, it is soooo slow. When I connect the DAP with the cable to my PC, it takes ages before even the titels to show up in Windows Explorer. Also in the DAP itself it is slow: the scan of the native Onkyo player takes ages but also my preferred player JetAudio is very slow with scanning. Playing itself is no problem though.

hi, unfortunately this is problem with quite a few DAP (including AK320, Opus#2...).

what i do for DP-X1 is to turn it off, remove microSD and use card reader for use with PC. and before you turn on the DP-X1, insert the microSD back and you won’t have to rescan again! i hope this removes some inconvenience for you... :)

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #15,528 of 16,326
I'm no audiophile and, to be honest, a lot of the stuff people post about their listening experience goes right over my head! Everyone hears differently, fact.
I have almost always been happy with the sound from my X1/ie800 but can't resist tinkering. I always ended up with my X1 running with EQ off and everything else (sound processing wise) as stock. I have tried Viper4android many times but the user interface was just tooooo confusing.
The latest version of the app is so much better!
More importantly, what a difference it has made. I am totally blown away by the improvement in clarity, especially considering that I thought that I was happy with the quality of playback. Using the built-in profile for the ie800 and a couple of other tweaks, I am now realising how dull/fluffy/muffled (or whatever you want to describe it as) the sound was previously.
I now see that there is another app by Sonarworks called True-fi. This is (as I understand it) for headphones not iem's.
Is anyone using this app? What does it do? Is it just a bunch of headphone profiles all packaged up nicely or does it do something that Viper4android doesn't ? If it is a completely different approach, is there any benefit to running both concurrently?

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #15,529 of 16,326
hi, unfortunately this is problem with quite a few DAP (including AK320, Opus#2...).

what i do for DP-X1 is to turn it off, remove microSD and use card reader for use with PC. and before you turn on the DP-X1, insert the microSD back and you won’t have to rescan again! i hope this removes some inconvenience for you... :)

You also can do by this way without turn off your DAP: go to Setting -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card - which one you want to remove and wait until has message in notification bar, now you can remove your sd card and put to PC for copy music. When you finish just put it back.

Mar 24, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #15,530 of 16,326
M_h79dVEB0wTkubbHwZivxchQndLuISqrknhURFDry-RZ5gSOUkBLcN2syb68o_hvQiAvj9ElT_FXbRvOa5RGvddcN5OyiP73RlaCKZOKUxhz3nKPiBuSNHO1O_YzSryWA4mCNiWRo68gBBQCMZavj1IpGyjJtQz_Irt-y-znKmpprslRW6i7vEkewPJGSFLcLVwV4dEp4mHhjQlhO-Xpe8y1Gcu1FpHgNJVNVTHp5V67Ds8_QzGCm94SGNs_9QZq61pxeG0HA-3FX110NbaVfyTkYzBjVDyO9y5MP1CzExknZ5ZvPOOel_cGPomDM6zzoJiGDYHv30nLBKfE471d6TnuyySEXLiTFWCYy-8SA_Ul96GIoMgZB8TRMimLv9nm7hwYswwZVX-j8KL6NJDjo65rbTFq0hk-w0e5SuGOAvfUjBel4LMhYfpRRH9t-FKDTt_AnMpQbAfwJq1mcWnGPKy3zKg9W6xwrBBjabu2nHYxKI67pauPzn5QplPyOfELP3dVa7Xh5tM9TWznyROkSxBIGAERvvbBVaJ_97eH94k4WKLf4tUZX_HO3OffJvM68w7Q5wwJyDwFiwhmJI2zAYc8pIqsv1-zikMy8EslWCZzukhY7iSRb_4tp9gGLbg2hGe1K34qa6cod_s51eDJEuUDQEB17AMgw=w2230-h1256-no

a rainy day...

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #15,531 of 16,326
You also can do by this way without turn off your DAP: go to Setting -> Storage -> Unmount SD Card - which one you want to remove and wait until has message in notification bar, now you can remove your sd card and put to PC for copy music. When you finish just put it back.
if i remember correctly, you will need to do a full rescan if you unmount it like this (which takes so long!). if you turn it off you can just select “scan for new songs” option.

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #15,533 of 16,326
I'm new to the DAP world and the DP-X1A specifically, and have a few questions:

1. Can I use a third-party audio player (specifically JetAudio because it has a built-in DSP)? I also use Tidal and have heard that Tidal is supported.
2. Does the built-in audio player from Onkyo have DSP settings?
3. Does any one line out from the DAP to their home rig (desktop amp + desktop DAC)? How is that experience?

Mar 25, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #15,534 of 16,326

1. Can I use a third-party audio player (specifically JetAudio because it has a built-in DSP)? I also use Tidal and have heard that Tidal is supported.
3. Does any one line out from the DAP to their home rig (desktop amp + desktop DAC)? How is that experience?
1)Yes
2)Yes
3) I have only hooked up a Mojo,Hugo1/2 and Ifi DSD Micro and Nano and have all worked great!

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #15,535 of 16,326

1.) I've been using USB Audio Player Pro*, and it supports Tidal (I don't use Tidal), and it has a built-in EQ, as well as an available add-on Parametric EQ.
2.) If you look back at Posts #1 & #2 of this thread, you can see DSP / EQ functions mentioned.
3.) My desktop DAC / Amp is currently an iFi Micro iDSD, and I have tried connecting my DP-X1B, via USB and Line Out - and it does work well.

*Note: eXtream Software Development has just released UAPP V4.0 - which has an improved (Material) UI, as well as adding specific settings for HiRes Audio Players, and it now has support for Google Music (you have to have a paid Google account). So, now UAPP has support for streaming from your Network, UPnP/DLNA servers, Shoutcast Radio, Google Music, Qobuz, Tidal, and Other Radio Stations (you have to add the individual stream URLs).

Mar 26, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #15,536 of 16,326
USB Audio Player Pro, now supports HighRes* on Onkyo DP-X1 too (direct mode) using the Sabre DACs, 4.1.4 version

* I had, around 2hours, an email exchange with their support today; Davy was very good on adding it after my request, since their new direct audio driver mode can use DACs without the stock android driver; after some audio dumps now the player supports the Sabre DACs directly.
Please use "when possible" setting under "Audio HiRes/Bit perfect" settings or you will receive a "bit perfect not supported" when playing DSD files.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #15,537 of 16,326
USB Audio Player Pro, now supports HighRes* on Onkyo DP-X1 too (direct mode) using the Sabre DACs, 4.1.4 version

* I had, around 2hours, an email exchange with their support today; Davy was very good on adding it after my request, since their new direct audio driver mode can use DACs without the stock android driver; after some audio dumps now the player supports the Sabre DACs directly.
Please use "when possible" setting under "Audio HiRes/Bit perfect" settings or you will receive a "bit perfect not supported" when playing DSD files.

Thanks for the head's up about the UAPP update!

I just updated, but I'm not actually seeing anything different (than previously) being displayed, while HiRes tacks are playing, when:
Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags = Direct
Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver audio format = Auto
Settings > HiRes audio > Bit perfect = When possible
Settings > Android audio > Android sample rate = Variable rate

So far, I've only got three HiRes albums (Krushevo by Stefanovski & Tadic, 24-Bit / 96-KHz; Out of Time and Country by Descamps, Deslignes, Gomar, & Rosenberg, 24-Bit / 176.4-KHz; Ultimate Headphone Demonstration by Chesky, 24-Bit / 192-KHz).
When they're playing in UAPP, the display shows Android: 96000, the correct sample rate for each File (Krushevo = 96000; Out of Time and Country = 176400; Ultimate Headphone Demonstration = 192000), and 24bit.
If I set Android sample rate = 44100, it displays Android: 44100; and if Android sample rate = Device native sample rate, it displays Android: 48000, with the file sample rate & bit depth being correct.

Mar 27, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #15,538 of 16,326
No differences on UI from the previous 4.x.x version, that strings ( direct - sample rate ) are not related to the direct driver now used, so you don't have any visual information about that.

Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags = all unticked
you need to leave unticked all the options or maybe try to set "Offload" but unticked is better for compatibility

when the direct drivers is really working, those settings will not change the sample rate; so you will never seen Android: "sample rate" on screen

I had the same doubt and asked Davy about it (no visual confirmation and that Direct string near sample rate - apart not seeing Android: "sample rate"), so you must trust it's really running on the direct drive and using the DACs bypassing the android driver or you can do some tests.
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver
(Check the bottom section)

I did the dumpsys media.audio_flinger test and the DIRECT tag is missing but Davy confirmed that the output is working on "offload" mode, so is using the direct mode. ADD: using the Onkyo player, gave the same dump results.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #15,539 of 16,326
No differences on UI from the previous 4.x.x version, that strings ( direct - sample rate ) are not related to the direct driver now used, so you don't have any visual information about that.

Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags = all unticked
you need to leave unticked all the options or maybe try to set "Offload" but unticked is better for compatibility

when the direct drivers is really working, those settings will not change the sample rate; so you will never seen Android: "sample rate" on screen

I had the same doubt and asked Davy about it (no visual confirmation and that Direct string near sample rate - apart not seeing Android: "sample rate"), so you must trust it's really running on the direct drive and using the DACs bypassing the android driver or you can do some tests.
http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/hires-audio-driver
(Check the bottom section)

I did the dumpsys media.audio_flinger test and the DIRECT tag is missing but Davy confirmed that the output is working on "offload" mode, so is using the direct mode. ADD: using the Onkyo player, gave the same dump results.

On my DP-X1B, when trying to play any tracks in UAPP, I see the Error Message - "Failed to find or setup HiRes DAC!" when:

Settings > Internal audio driver = HiRes Direct driver
Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver flags = Offload or (None Selected)
Settings > HiRes audio > HiRes driver audio format = Auto
Settings > HiRes audio > Bit perfect = When possible

With some experimenting, I've determined that, due to my DP-X1B being rooted and running Viper4Android, there is a conflict with the two audio drivers - because when I Exit V4A, I don't see the UAPP Error Message any longer, but I also don't hear any audio.
But, when I uninstall the V4A driver, then UAPP plays.
I guess this bit of information should be relayed to the eXtream Software Development team.
So I have a dilemma, since I rooted the DP-X1B, so that I can run Viper4Android - and I really do like the audio processing that it provides... :thinking:

Mar 27, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #15,540 of 16,326
With some experimenting, I've determined that, due to my DP-X1B being rooted and running Viper4Android, there is a conflict with the two audio drivers - because when I Exit V4A, I don't see the UAPP Error Message any longer, but I also don't hear any audio.
But, when I uninstall the V4A driver, then UAPP plays.
I guess this bit of information should be relayed to the eXtream Software Development team.
So I have a dilemma, since I rooted the DP-X1B, so that I can run Viper4Android - and I really do like the audio processing that it provides... :thinking:

that's interesting; i sent an email to Davy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back