ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 5, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #15,496 of 16,326
hi guys,
i'm looking for the case for dp-x1a, looked through this thread and search internet, there are not many options for our device. still looking.
fun fact, it's size really close to the size of 2.5 portable hard drive. so things like this should fit nicely:
https://www.amazon.com/Lacdo-Shockproof-Carrying-2-5-Inch-Expansion/dp/B075XH4DF6/
and they're well protected as well.

Dignis makes some nice cases. I bought one for my DP-X1 almost 2 years ago and it still looks great. There are 2 different ones on this page http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/category/dap/85/ These are for the DP-X1 and I'm not sure of the DP-X1A is the same size or not.

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #15,497 of 16,326
I wouldn't put to much thought into his remarks, I have had mine almost 2 years and it has had no issues. JMO, not discounting there have been issues, but I have been free of them and I have a DP-X1 original.
Just a question, can you find any other DAP where there are so many complains about the failure of a specific part? No one argues that each and every one fails, in mine for example the 3.5 is getting more loose every time I plug in a headphones, 2.5 is still holding well. I may have few more months or a couple of years, that's not a point. But I have iBasso DX80 for 3 years and had a Fiio player for a number of years, never had similar problems. IBasso battery issue was fixed by IBasso support without any issues. Try to get support form Onkyo outside of Japan. That in you view is business as usual and people should buy with confidence... well as long as it is not my money, go ahead.

Mar 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #15,498 of 16,326
Just a question, can you find any other DAP where there are so many complains about the failure of a specific part? No one argues that each and every one fails, in mine for example the 3.5 is getting more loose every time I plug in a headphones, 2.5 is still holding well. I may have few more months or a couple of years, that's not a point. But I have iBasso DX80 for 3 years and had a Fiio player for a number of years, never had similar problems. IBasso battery issue was fixed by IBasso support without any issues. Try to get support form Onkyo outside of Japan. That in you view is business as usual and people should buy with confidence... well as long as it is not my money, go ahead.
Just to set the story straight, I have a DX90 that the HP connector is intermittent, it's quite annoying.

Mar 6, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #15,499 of 16,326
Hey guys couple of questions. I just bought a set of Focal Elear (80ohm) connecting to my DPX1A is decent in unbalanced mode, but when I plug them into my receiver (Onkyo TX-NR929) They sound so much fuller, a ton more low end! I assume it's because the DAP can't efficiently drive them. should I try a balanced cable? I use the balanced out with a set of modded M50x's and to be honest they don't sound much different I assume it's because they are easy to drive.

2nd question. I have a Schiit Jotunheim, can I run an OTG cable (USB) form the DPX1A and utilize the balanced XLR output of the Jotunheim, or would I have to use the 2.5mm balanced output to RCA into the Jotunheim, I wanted to bybass the Onkyo DAC because the Schiit has it's own.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Mar 6, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #15,500 of 16,326
This may be one of my final posts to this thread....

I "reluctantly" sold my Fiio X5-III and ordered a DP-X1A. What a total disappointment. I received it last Friday and immediately found out that it did not support WMA files as I was told by two Onkyo support personal that it would. While the description on their website does not list WMA, it does says that it "plays all popular compressed audio formats."

While I use only FLAC files when doing my serious listening on my system, WMA VBR sounds perfectly fine for IEM's. No real "audiophile" experience capable with IEM's - good listening but not as good as a good system. The Fiio handeled WMA VBR perfectly.

And then there is the obvious - no protective case of any type and the user interface is not even close. I will miss the ability to create and save custom EQ settings - but I'll get over it.

As I suspected the ESS DAC's where just too "hot" - too digital sounding. The Fiio (in my opinion) was much more musical and easy to listen too. Using both my 1More Triple Driver and my Fiio X9Pro Balanced yielded the same digital sound - bass was not nearly as warm and full and highs were just too hot. I thought I had a bad player so I finally found another local user and tried his player with the same music and same IEM's - same results. He also agreed with my assessment and is now looking into an X5 for himself.

Also, the DP-X1A could not reach the same the volume level as the Fiio.

A couple of other items: Fiio has the Music Mode which eliminates having all the normal Android associated bloatware running. It also has Viper built in to system - no need to root the unit to install Viper of rid your player of other running bloatware in the background. And the Fiio is considerably smaller in size. The only real gripe I have about the Fiio is that the output jacks were on the bottom - I still hate that - but it is what it is.

So...a bit of a costly experience - X1A is on its way back for a refund and a new X5 is on its way to me. I give up 32Gb of storage, but the listening experience is just not up to par with the Fiio which costs considerably less. I wish it had worked out. I'll still continue to monitor the group and thanks to all for the information.and those that helped answer my questions.

By the way... I should be receiving a brand new leather fold over case for my now non-existent X1A. It will be brand new, unused and available for $50 + shipping of your choice. If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks to all.... and enjoy the music!

Mar 6, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #15,501 of 16,326
Mar 6, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #15,502 of 16,326
It's a moot point now, but since the DP-X1A is an Android device, either VLC for Android [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc ], or CloudPlayer [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.cloudPlayer ] will apparently play WMA files for you.

Besides the location of the output jacks, what led you to switch from the X5-III, in the first place?
It certainly has more output power, especially when driving a 16Ω load.

Based on the spec's. 32Gb more internal memory and the ability to set up custom EQ's for various devices were some of the items. All the hype on ESS dacs - another factor. Possibility of streaming MQA (now a non issue). All in all, I thought it would be a better sounding player - not even close. And again thank you for all of hour help.

Mar 6, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #15,503 of 16,326
It's a moot point now, but since the DP-X1A is an Android device, either VLC for Android [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.videolan.vlc ], or CloudPlayer [ https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.doubleTwist.cloudPlayer ] will apparently play WMA files for you.

Besides the location of the output jacks, what led you to switch from the X5-III, in the first place?
It certainly has more output power, especially when driving a 16Ω load.

And one more thing... the user interface of the Fiio seems much easier to navigate and just looks cleaner.

Mar 8, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #15,506 of 16,326
Can anyone who has or had a sony zx2 and a dpx1 chime in? How do these two compare sound signature wise? Also how is the dpx1 with tidal (speed wise)? Im having issues with zx2 and tidal lately being laggy in offline mode.

Mar 8, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #15,507 of 16,326
I’ve had both of the above mentioned units— sold the Sony to switch to the Onkyo day 1 of US release so I could buy an extended warranty to hedge against the jacks.

The Sony is weak and cold relative to the Onkyo even in SE mode. EQ options are much more robust on the X1 as well. If you have the cans/ears for the balanced out, it drastically exaggerates the gap between the two players.

The interface is also significantly snappier once all fluffery is disabled.

Cheers

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #15,509 of 16,326
I have the X7ii and DP-X1 and the DP-X1 is by far better UI then FiiO could ever imagine to have. And as for sound I think they are both great, I would not rate one over the other using Balanced.
Quite agree, I have the DX200,FiiOX7MkII, and DP-X1, the Onkyo has the most fluid UI of them all, including my AK units. (imho) The perks with the Fiio and Ibasso is you have available AMPs to change out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back