ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 15, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #14,821 of 16,326
Yes, balanced will make a huge difference…For me, I/phones wanted a little more even with balanced, so I stacked my DP-X1 with a PHA-3 and holy **** what a difference…and that was with the SE connection, so I’m just currently waiting for some balanced cables, so it’s only going to get better, wow!! I honestly really like the DP-X1, so will be keeping it as my transporter at home and using it alone when I travel…My main go to headphones are the LCD-X’s…

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #14,822 of 16,326
Just got my DP-X1, and it sounds great out of the box. Light and transparent, but without any weak bass. Can be analytical sometimes, but not overly cold nor bright. It sounds realistic, and right. Smooth lows, and mids, and maybe some peaks in the high region. Not sure, but it certainly has high clarity. Reminds me of Aune M1s which uses a similar DAC, only the DP-X1 sounds better overall. Really like the design, it looks sweet. Maybe a few sharp edges, but solvable with a case.

Have you tried adjusting - Settings > Sound & notification > Digital filter setting ?
It does affect the sound of the high frequencies.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #14,823 of 16,326
Thanks for the reply. Thought as much. So i dont see much about balanced headphones around. Any suggestions for a web store link with balanced headphones as a filter so I can see what is around. I did have B&O H6 and Grado SR80s which I also loved but sold for variety of reason.
I'm not sure what your budget is, but I am running Noble Savannah's in Balanced mode and JH Audio Rosie's in rotation. Both of these manufacturers have excellent products but a little costly.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #14,824 of 16,326
Had the opportunity to treat myself at Changi airport and picked up a DP-X1a. Love the design and starting to listen. I have been using a Fiio X7 with Bose QC35 and DT770 Pros. Bose for travelling only. Missing a dock option to PC that I had with Fiio. Are there any options for this or even guides to connecting to an amp for sound?

I have the gain on high but finding a little quiet am I missing something? Way quieter than the Fiio. Is that expected? Its not a massive issue and I probably should run music quieter but I need over 155 on sound level with the DT770s.

Sound quality isnt massively different. I feel that the vocals are a little sharper and the instruments are a bit warmer and more spatial than the X7. Im no expert though. Id say i just simply prefer the ONkyo but I might be validating my purchase:) I prefer design and OS speed a lot more for sure.

im interested in balanced headphones. Is it worth trying to find someone to convert the DT770s or just go a new set?

Thanks

The DT series is not a good match to dpx1a. I tried DT880/250 DT770Pro before.

A good HP fit is the Amiron Home , it can be driven quite well on the 3.5 single-ended.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #14,825 of 16,326
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this thread and I've gotten an Onkyo DP-X1A black yesterday.

Prior to getting this DAP, I was using a DX90 and then Aune m1s with a iBasso IT03 and a VE Espresso 2.5mm MMCX cable.

I've been having the dilemma of moving from my m1s as it was a cheap and good player to go for. Couple of weeks back, I was poisoned when my friend of mine let me try his Pioneer XDP-300R and I paired it with my IT03. I was stunned by how musical my IT03 is. At the instance I was poisoned.

I tried the XDP-300R a couple of times and I was pretty firmed on buying it until I tried the DP-X1A pairing with Andromeda. That is my biggest regret in my life. After this, I gotta save for the Andromeda to finalise my current setup.

Comparing m1s and the DP-X1A on balanced setup, the X1A feels more clinical in every aspect. On my IT03, I began to feel the quality of the bass as well as the sub-bass. Soundstage not only widens by very sparkly mids. However, the highs are over the roofs and you start to hear some hissings as well.

Next stop, time to try both my VE SPC monk and Espresso monks on 2.5mm!

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #14,826 of 16,326
Have you tried adjusting - Settings > Sound & notification > Digital filter setting ?
It does affect the sound of the high frequencies.
I use a portable amplifier, and the peaks in the high region become smoother. Plus resolution, airiness, soundstage, transparency, and separation increase. The filter does nothing significant.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #14,828 of 16,326
I don't like an overly thick warm sound lately. I do for some reason love the Audeze house sound, but not Shure lately. Bass is too warm and loud on my SE846 mids are too warm and veiled as well and I would love more treble presence and extension. Would the DPX1A be better for my sound preferences than the OPUS 1 Metal I have my sights on? Can the DPX1A drive the Mr. Speakers Aeon decently out of single ended?

Thanks

Riley

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:04 AM Post #14,830 of 16,326
Last song before recharge. Pretty happy with the sound so far :)
P_20170816_134924.jpg

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #14,831 of 16,326
Shop has said 'the termination on the MSR7 is the same as the M50X so if you can get a balanced cable for that it would be the same.
But it will never be a true balance because both cups need to be terminated with separate cable inputs. ' So any point in buying a nice balanced cable?

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #14,832 of 16,326
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #14,833 of 16,326
Having just done something crazy and sold my DP-X1 does anyone think that I will want to cry if I get a fiio x5iii or X7 MkII
Im imagining the MKII X7 would sound as good but not sure ? I also Like that the X7 could use my headphone controls.

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #14,834 of 16,326
Having just done something crazy and sold my DP-X1 does anyone think that I will want to cry if I get a fiio x5iii or X7 MkII
Im imagining the MKII X7 would sound as good but not sure ? I also Like that the X7 could use my headphone controls.
IMO the DP-X1 sounds clearer than X5III, also more transparent. It also boots faster by many seconds. IDK about their latest update/firmware, but during my time using the X5III, it boots super-slow. It's also less spacious in sound, and can be dark/congested sometimes. Some basshead may like the X5III more, but personally I like the DP-X1 better. IDK about X7II, but X7 sounded a bit boring and flat when I tried it. I like the design though, looks nice. Both FiiO DAPs definitely have better 3.5-mm port than DP-X1. :D

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #14,835 of 16,326
To me the X5iii and DP-X1 are no contest. The DP-X1 is by far superior in all aspects. I bought the X5iii a few months ago to give Fiio another try and I really wanted to like it but it would piss me off so bad that i put it back in the box and did not use it for about a month then sold it. I will probably never buy a fiio again. I think they are a great company a build is great but there IT should all be replaced with people who know how to program.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back