ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 7, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #14,792 of 16,326
I have a question gang...All my ripped cd/flac files are obviously 44khz, but the onkyo is showing them as as 48khz when playing...Are these files being up-sampled to 48khz and thus suffering a possible decrease in sound quality..?

I wouldn't worry about it, The difference would be lil to none.

Aug 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #14,793 of 16,326
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #14,794 of 16,326
Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #14,795 of 16,326
Since the developer states this player bypasses the "Android audio limits", do you know if this app access both DACs in the DP-X1?
Also I noticed the DP-X1 is not on the list of supported devices.

Onkyo Customer Service has stated that the Onkyo Music app is written to use the Dual DAC / Dual Amp H/W of the DP-X1, and that other, 3rd Party apps are not.

I've compared the Onkyo app and UAPP, playing various Hi-Res files (24-Bit, 96-KHz - 192-KHz), and I can't hear any difference with my LZ A4 earphones, when connected to the Balanced output - https://www.head-fi.org/posts/13195157/

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #14,797 of 16,326
I also am unclear on the nuances of the UAPP app. I just installed the trial version. Myself, I don't use an external DAC. So, with the UAPP when not using a DAC you have to enable the option to "Play through android - Plays through Android when no USB audio interface is found". To me this appears that it might mean that in this mode its using the standard Android drivers??

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #14,798 of 16,326
I bought this app as per your recommendation. Are there any settings changes or tweaks I should do for the DP-X1/A?

These are the "performance" related settings warrant checking / changing -
For playing music using the DP-X1's internal DACs & Amps, go to settings and Enable "Play through Android" - otherwise UAPP will only try to send music to an external DAC.
For playing Hi-Res files on your DP-X1, go to settings, and change the "Android sample rate" to Variable rate.
If you're planning to connect the USB output to an external DAC, go to settings, and change "Bit perfect (USB audio)" to either On or When possible.

There are also a lot of "convenience" settings, and you'll just have to see which ones you like.

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #14,799 of 16,326
I also am unclear on the nuances of the UAPP app. I just installed the trial version. Myself, I don't use an external DAC. So, with the UAPP when not using a DAC you have to enable the option to "Play through android - Plays through Android when no USB audio interface is found". To me this appears that it might mean that in this mode its using the standard Android drivers??

UAPP has its own driver, and you can play higher bit-rate files than the standard Android drivers, by changing the "Android sample rate" to Variable rate.

Aug 8, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #14,800 of 16,326
UAPP has its own driver, and you can play higher bit-rate files than the standard Android drivers, by changing the "Android sample rate" to Variable rate.
Ok, that's good.
Any tips on how to get the player to see the 2nd SD card? All it recognizes is the internal memory and SD1.

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #14,801 of 16,326
Ok, that's good.
Any tips on how to get the player to see the 2nd SD card? All it recognizes is the internal memory and SD1.

Well, navigating in UAPP isn't as intuitive as some other apps, but when you get to Folders, you should be able to browse to the root level, and then to Storage - where you should see:
sdcard0 = Internal Memory
sdcard1 = First Card
sdcard2 = Second Card

NOTE: My DP-X1 is rooted, so I may be able to browse more locations in UAPP, than you can on an un-rooted device.

EDIT: After rooting, I was able to install Xposed Framework. One of the Xposed modules that I've downloaded, allows me to configure the Status Bar Clock how I want it - in this case, with Seconds being displayed... :slight_smile:

DSC-170808-213200.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #14,802 of 16,326
I guess it's because mine isn't rooted. I just see SD0 and SD1.
Looks like this app isn't going to work out for me. Glad I tried the trial version first.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #14,803 of 16,326

So about the UAPP app using it's own drivers. I contacted support and Davy from extremesd.com confirms that when the app is sending the audio out the headphone jack it is in fact using the Android's system drivers - not the UAPP's drivers.
Since I don't use an external DAC and in addition the app can't see my 2nd SD card I'll think I'll have to pass on this one.

Aug 9, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #14,804 of 16,326
So about the UAPP app using it's own drivers. I contacted support and Davy from extremesd.com confirms that when the app is sending the audio out the headphone jack it is in fact using the Android's system drivers - not the UAPP's drivers.
Since I don't use an external DAC and in addition the app can't see my 2nd SD card I'll think I'll have to pass on this one.

Ah, so the UAPP developers have only created their own USB driver, rather than a replacement for the Android Audio driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back