ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 13, 2017 at 12:16 PM Post #14,806 of 16,326
Just bought a 2.5mm cable for my IEM. I remember someone told me even when using the 2.5mm jack, set the audio output to ACG is better than set it to balanced. Can someone educate me about what is the difference between
"2.5mm + balanced mode" vs "2.5mm + ACG mode" ?

Aug 13, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #14,807 of 16,326
Just bought a 2.5mm cable for my IEM. I remember someone told me even when using the 2.5mm jack, set the audio output to ACG is better than set it to balanced. Can someone educate me about what is the difference between

Well, all I can say is what the manual states: "...uses technology to even more forcefully fix grounding standards, so you can enjoy a sound quality with improved clarity and stability than the balanced mode."
Okay. Myself, I can't determine any sound quality improvement with ACG on. That's with a pair of Shure SE846's IEMs and HiFiMan HE-400s headphones (both using balanced cables). Maybe it just me?

One thing that is different when ACG is on, and that is the overall sound output level increase that you normally hear with balanced vs. unbalanced (SE) is kept down to the SE level.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #14,808 of 16,326
what is the difference between
150 mW vs 75 mW. So you should hear the difference on power hungry IEMs

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #14,809 of 16,326
Some report from 2 days listening in the HK AV show. My dp-x1 sounds good for the following IEMs (order in best to more-than-better)

1. iSine20
2. Xelento remote
3. White Andromeda
4. Ath-ckr100 with factory upgrade cable
5. Sony EX1000

(all on 3.5 single-ended playing Tidal offline pieces)

Attachments

• IMAG3050.jpg
    IMAG3050.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #14,810 of 16,326
Some report from 2 days listening in the HK AV show. My dp-x1 sounds good for the following IEMs (order in best to more-than-better)

1. iSine20
2. Xelento remote
3. White Andromeda
4. Ath-ckr100 with factory upgrade cable
5. Sony EX1000

(all on 3.5 single-ended playing Tidal offline pieces)
IMAG3050.jpg

Aug 14, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #14,811 of 16,326
A Japan brand demo' ed a new six-dynamic-driver headphones using dp-x1 2.5 Line out as source. It sounded very good (play a piece Hotel California).

IMAG2986.jpg

Aug 15, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #14,812 of 16,326
Had the opportunity to treat myself at Changi airport and picked up a DP-X1a. Love the design and starting to listen. I have been using a Fiio X7 with Bose QC35 and DT770 Pros. Bose for travelling only. Missing a dock option to PC that I had with Fiio. Are there any options for this or even guides to connecting to an amp for sound?

I have the gain on high but finding a little quiet am I missing something? Way quieter than the Fiio. Is that expected? Its not a massive issue and I probably should run music quieter but I need over 155 on sound level with the DT770s.

Sound quality isnt massively different. I feel that the vocals are a little sharper and the instruments are a bit warmer and more spatial than the X7. Im no expert though. Id say i just simply prefer the ONkyo but I might be validating my purchase:) I prefer design and OS speed a lot more for sure.

im interested in balanced headphones. Is it worth trying to find someone to convert the DT770s or just go a new set?

Thanks

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #14,813 of 16,326
Had the opportunity to treat myself at Changi airport and picked up a DP-X1a. Love the design and starting to listen. I have been using a Fiio X7 with Bose QC35 and DT770 Pros. Bose for travelling only. Missing a dock option to PC that I had with Fiio. Are there any options for this or even guides to connecting to an amp for sound?

I have the gain on high but finding a little quiet am I missing something? Way quieter than the Fiio. Is that expected? Its not a massive issue and I probably should run music quieter but I need over 155 on sound level with the DT770s.

Sound quality isnt massively different. I feel that the vocals are a little sharper and the instruments are a bit warmer and more spatial than the X7. Im no expert though. Id say i just simply prefer the ONkyo but I might be validating my purchase:) I prefer design and OS speed a lot more for sure.

im interested in balanced headphones. Is it worth trying to find someone to convert the or just go a new set?

Thanks

Balance output mode would definitely output more power than the 3.5mm. Converting to balance is not simply changing the plug from 3.5 to 2.5, you have to ensure the stock cable has 4 conductors. IMO, TREAT yourself once more and find a new pair of headphones with a detachable cable. So you can get aftermarket cable any day you like :)

Aug 15, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #14,814 of 16,326
Thanks for the reply. Thought as much. So i dont see much about balanced headphones around. Any suggestions for a web store link with balanced headphones as a filter so I can see what is around. I did have B&O H6 and Grado SR80s which I also loved but sold for variety of reason.

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #14,815 of 16,326
Thanks for the reply. Thought as much. So i dont see much about balanced headphones around. Any suggestions for a web store link with balanced headphones as a filter so I can see what is around. I did have B&O H6 and Grado SR80s which I also loved but sold for variety of reason.

Normally, they will produce an un-balanced version of headphones with a 3.5mm or 6.35mm plug. There are some headphones that have a detachable cable. In that case, you can go buy a balanced cable to replace the stock cable so you can run balanced. Since there are not many devices out there that run balanced, the manufacturer usually won't produce headphone with balanced cable. Try to look for headphones or IEM with a detachable cable. And order another custom balance cable.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #14,817 of 16,326
Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #14,819 of 16,326
Thanks Ill look into those. Quite cheap. Im happy to spend twice this amount even. The AKGs are non removable cable i see. Thanks for link on cable. That looks the business.

Please try and audition the headphones before pulling the trigger on your purchase. There are lots of choices out there such as the ever so popular M50X to the HE400i or even up to the Focal Elear etc... That allows you to change a custom cable. I tried them with the DP-X1 and DP-S1, the Onyko have enough power to power them up to loud volume.

Besides from more power on the balanced output. Due to the Duo dac and Duo amp design of the DP-X1A, running balanced would utilize both dac and amp chip instead of using one on unbalance. Changing to balanced would definitely make the most out of the player.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #14,820 of 16,326
Just got my DP-X1, and it sounds great out of the box. Light and transparent, but without any weak bass. Can be analytical sometimes, but not overly cold nor bright. It sounds realistic, and right. Smooth lows, and mids, and maybe some peaks in the high region. Not sure, but it certainly has high clarity. Reminds me of Aune M1s which uses a similar DAC, only the DP-X1 sounds better overall. Really like the design, it looks sweet. Maybe a few sharp edges, but solvable with a case.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back