ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 8, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #14,521 of 16,326
Ok... so, I have been looking into the DP-S1, due to the Balanced output capability (that the X5iii lacks)...and stumbled across this in a video...

So, with the DP-X1, I can choose to use the normal 2.5TRRS as a Balanced Line-Out then, or 'am I reading this wrong? If that is the case, I think I'd rather have the DP-X1 than the DP-S1 (DP-X1A is too expensive for some reason).
Im fairly certain that you can. I believe they noted this on Facebook awhile back. I think youll enjoy the X1 over the S1 and especially over the X5iii for all your needs. Ive been quite happy with mine for a long time.

Jun 9, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #14,522 of 16,326
Not sure if you know or not, if you are using Europe/HK model, you will need to set Variable Output settings for it to remove the volume limiter that the EU requires.
Very often it is this settings that make lack of vol, as many users is using the Japan version that do not have this limiter.

I thought was fixed in the FW update. I see no setting labeled "variable output"

Jun 10, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #14,523 of 16,326
Hi folks, some help and advice needed here. I recently expanded my micro sd card to a Strontium 128gb Nitro 466x and I've been experiencing playback issues. The player would read and play the files but with annoying pauses and intermittent sound in the middle of the tracks. Is this due to a reading error or the micro sd card being too big?

I loaded about 100Gb of tracks inside, and the sd card's format is in exFAT.

Jun 11, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #14,525 of 16,326
Hi folks, some help and advice needed here. I recently expanded my micro sd card to a Strontium 128gb Nitro 466x and I've been experiencing playback issues. The player would read and play the files but with annoying pauses and intermittent sound in the middle of the tracks. Is this due to a reading error or the micro sd card being too big?

I loaded about 100Gb of tracks inside, and the sd card's format is in exFAT.

Have you let the DAP format the card? Manual recommends doing so. My 200gb cards from sandisk work.

Jun 11, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #14,527 of 16,326
I thought was fixed in the FW update. I see no setting labeled "variable output"

If you are not using Japanese version, very likely you need to adjust that settings. It is under Android Settings > Sound
I am not sure about the US version. If you are not 100% sure yours is Jap one, it will probably need to take a look and have that adjusted

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #14,529 of 16,326
I just pulled the trigger on the DP-X1A. Having researched all the DAPs in the 500-1,000 range this seemed to be the one that suits my needs. Dual Sabres, balanced output, plenty of storage etc.

This will be my first dedicated hi-res player, so I'm excited. I'll be pairing it with my Campfire Audio Jupiters.

Jun 12, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #14,530 of 16,326
I just pulled the trigger on the DP-X1A. Having researched all the DAPs in the 500-1,000 range this seemed to be the one that suits my needs. Dual Sabres, balanced output, plenty of storage etc.

This will be my first dedicated hi-res player, so I'm excited. I'll be pairing it with my Campfire Audio Jupiters.

You should not have any volume issues with those. Those are very nice. I wish I didn't mind IEM's so much.

Are you planning to root the player? If so I highly recommend xVortex's custom minimal firmware. I probably get 2 more hours of battery life without all the Android extras running. And of course the ability to run Poweramp through the dac/amps.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #14,531 of 16,326
If you are not using Japanese version, very likely you need to adjust that settings. It is under Android Settings > Sound
I am not sure about the US version. If you are not 100% sure yours is Jap one, it will probably need to take a look and have that adjusted

I think that is the Variable Volume Limiter Setting. There is also a Variable Line Out setting, but that I don't think is at play here.

Jun 12, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #14,532 of 16,326
You should not have any volume issues with those. Those are very nice. I wish I didn't mind IEM's so much.

Are you planning to root the player? If so I highly recommend xVortex's custom minimal firmware. I probably get 2 more hours of battery life without all the Android extras running. And of course the ability to run Poweramp through the dac/amps.

Interesting. Rooting it is a possibility I hadn't even considered. Coming from the Mac/iPhone world it didn't even cross my mind. But the firmware mod you mentioned sounds very interesting indeed. I'll look into it.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #14,533 of 16,326
Interesting. Rooting it is a possibility I hadn't even considered. Coming from the Mac/iPhone world it didn't even cross my mind. But the firmware mod you mentioned sounds very interesting indeed. I'll look into it.

Two of the things many people are not aware of is that if you're not using the balanced output, you're not using both DACs and both amps. Also, the hardware is only accessible through the native music player, third-party apps do not use the saber DAC , rather the standard android API for snapdragon processors to do the digital to analog conversion, rather the standard android API for snapdragon processors to do the digital to analog conversion. I.e. you're just using a phone to play your music.

Poweramp can be tweaked to use the hardware decoding but you have to be rooted. None of the streaming services do.

So you do have slightly more flexibility going to require some technical know-how . Otherwise just like a regular non-android DAP, you're tied in to the native player, which in this case isn't that great. You can however use both the Pioneer and the Onkyo players because they're from the same manufacture.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #14,534 of 16,326
Two of the things many people are not aware of is that if you're not using the balanced output, you're not using both DACs and both amps. Also, the hardware is only accessible through the native music player, third-party apps do not use the saber DAC , rather the standard android API for snapdragon processors to do the digital to analog conversion, rather the standard android API for snapdragon processors to do the digital to analog conversion. I.e. you're just using a phone to play your music.

Right. I gathered that from my research. I'm intending to use the balanced output with these Campfires, so that shouldn't be a major issue. Being limited to the Onkyo Music app is annoying though.

Poweramp can be tweaked to use the hardware decoding but you have to be rooted. None of the streaming services do.

That's a weird limitation. Seems like a strange oversight.

So you do have slightly more flexibility going to require some technical know-how . Otherwise just like a regular non-android DAP, you're tied in to the native player, which in this case isn't that great. You can however use both the Pioneer and the Onkyo players because they're from the same manufacture.

Right. Ultimately I'm most likely to be loading my files onto MicroSD cards rather than streaming, so the main limitation would be the music player.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #14,535 of 16,326
i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶v̶o̶l̶u̶m̶e̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶e̶l̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶i̶d̶e̶n̶t̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶c̶r̶o̶l̶l̶e̶d̶?̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶k̶s̶

Fiddle around the manual, I found they considerately added a volume lock function in the setting. Just search and enable it. It locks the Volume wheel when the screen is off :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back