ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 1, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #14,508 of 16,326
Edit: I finally go this, all the way to Poweramp Alpha ( still trying to verify dac usage) . And being a dummy I am happy to help anyone if they are stuck. All the info is here but it is buried in 2 threads of over 1000 pages and the search function doesn't seem adequate.

PM me if you need help from scratch.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where is the world can I find the fastboot drvier for this or the Pioneer xdp-100r. I have looked everywhere. Tried the google driver and universal drives but they do not work. So I am yet unable to run adb nor fastboot.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 6:25 AM Post #14,509 of 16,326
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #14,511 of 16,326
● 2017/5/18
update schedule system
· DP-X1A
target application · software version after recommendation
app
update
update content
· UI and function renewal
· Android such as operating system , music streaming , radio etc. we recommend Display application
· Directly listen to e-onkyo music Ranking display
· Recommended application added (LINE MUSIC, Petit Lili Maker, Onkyo Dap Controller, Pioneer Duo Remote App)
· Automatic region setting
· Partially distributed on Google Play Display ads such as application recommendations

From http://www.jp.onkyo.com/support/audiovisual/dap_soft/dpx1a.htm (translated by Google Translate)

Jun 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #14,513 of 16,326
Hi........How do you uninstall apps (bloatware) there was a list of apps to uninstall on this forum but can't find them anymore !! Is there an app to uninstall all apps ??

And how do you format 200 gb sdxz in your DAP

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #14,514 of 16,326
Crazy idea. Can I use the balanced output and combine the signals into one higher wattage unbalanced output? I am having volume issues with my less sensitive headphones and would like to leverage the power of the dual amps in this baby.

Is it even possible to combine the grounds of a balanced signal for more power? My understanding is that balanced outputs are out of phase with each other so if I combine the signals, will I get no sound at all, hence, no power?

I originally bought the this model because it had twice the wattage of the Pioneer XDP-100r, not realizing that it only uses both amps and dacs balanced mode.

Or am I going to finds it louder anyway when my balanced headphone cables arrive?

thanks.

Jun 7, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #14,516 of 16,326
You should find it louder when your balanced cables arrived.

I wish I found this to be the case. What am doing wrong here guys? I have tried the XDP100r and then the Onkyo thinking it would be louder but I am finding then both anemic, even with the relatively easy to drive Oppop PM-3, I have to have the volume at max. This player is rated at 150 watts? I was really hoping not to have to carry around a stack anymore. I'm not even thinking about getting the HiFi Mans out.

For years I have been using a 5th gen ipod with a 1TB SSB and a tiny homemade Muses 02 amp, and it is amazing. But getting very tough to find batteries for the Ipod. 12 years later and still nothing better in that size. I really want a touch screen interface for my player. But it looks like all these guys are only made for IEMs.

Im gonna have to suck it up and get the AK aren't I? Or is there a way to get real volume out of this thing?

thanks

Jun 7, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #14,517 of 16,326
There are 2 areas where you can adjust the gain, when you adjust it is there 4 choices for the gain? Also, are you putting it in Balanced mode when connecting the PM3? I have the PM3s and there is no way in hell I could turn it all the way up.

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #14,518 of 16,326
Ok... so, I have been looking into the DP-S1, due to the Balanced output capability (that the X5iii lacks)...and stumbled across this in a video...
upload_2017-6-7_22-1-16.png
So, with the DP-X1, I can choose to use the normal 2.5TRRS as a Balanced Line-Out then, or 'am I reading this wrong? If that is the case, I think I'd rather have the DP-X1 than the DP-S1 (DP-X1A is too expensive for some reason).

Jun 7, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #14,519 of 16,326
There are 2 areas where you can adjust the gain, when you adjust it is there 4 choices for the gain? Also, are you putting it in Balanced mode when connecting the PM3? I have the PM3s and there is no way in hell I could turn it all the way up.

I have a high, normal, and low1 low2 gains. Where is the other place to adjust the gain? I am running the minimal firmware created and generously shared by XVortex btw.

I have more volume now which is a relief because I really didn't want to have to return this. I WAS doing something wrong , and I did actually find out what it was .When I first went in balanced mode , the player must've automatically activated the volume limiter. It was all the way up in regular mode but when I switched jacks it automatically went down and I didn't check. So that's why I wasn't getting the volume now it is sufficiently loud then on the openers I cannot crank it. I still need to get a balanced cable for my high fi mans, and that's not going to come cheap. But those aren't as much for mobile listening I can park them in the tube amp. It's like wearing a tank on your head. The reason I wanted a DAP was for more mobile listening, and that's why I bought the PM3s.

On the pioneer, Poweramp is much louder than the native player, but that is the reverse of the case on the Onkyo.

I must say my little iPod still holds its own, That Wolfson DAC still sound amazing, and with a 1 TB SSD drive, it can hold my entire FLAC collection twice over, I never have to go to the computer and find an album. But when I go out, carrying the stack is a bit cumbersome , and it's really hard to make a good playlist on Rockbox which has always suffered from poor playlist management, and has made no improvements over the last seven years and is not likely to . It's one of those things were sound quality doesn't matter if it's not usable. I have the collection but not the ability to access it with ease . I found myself using Plex on android phone a lot more often than my higher-quality rig. Which is how I got here .

Does anybody but me prefer the buttons on the pioneer? The larger more accessible power button, and the nub on the play button really improved usability . It made enough difference to me that I was considering going back to the Pioneer, until I discovered the fully unleashed balance mode. There's no going back now. Still I find it strange that on both players 80% of the volume steps are inaudible. Even with my most sensitive IEM, I couldn't hear anything in the lower 80. Maybe they need to apply a logarithm to the volume scale.

Thanks everyone for the help

EC

Jun 8, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #14,520 of 16,326
I have a high, normal, and low1 low2 gains. Where is the other place to adjust the gain? I am running the minimal firmware created and generously shared by XVortex btw.

I have more volume now which is a relief because I really didn't want to have to return this. I WAS doing something wrong , and I did actually find out what it was .When I first went in balanced mode , the player must've automatically activated the volume limiter. It was all the way up in regular mode but when I switched jacks it automatically went down and I didn't check. So that's why I wasn't getting the volume now it is sufficiently loud then on the openers I cannot crank it. I still need to get a balanced cable for my high fi mans, and that's not going to come cheap. But those aren't as much for mobile listening I can park them in the tube amp. It's like wearing a tank on your head. The reason I wanted a DAP was for more mobile listening, and that's why I bought the PM3s.

On the pioneer, Poweramp is much louder than the native player, but that is the reverse of the case on the Onkyo.

EC

Not sure if you know or not, if you are using Europe/HK model, you will need to set Variable Output settings for it to remove the volume limiter that the EU requires.
Very often it is this settings that make lack of vol, as many users is using the Japan version that do not have this limiter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back