ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
May 26, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #14,494 of 16,326
Due to their similar DAC, I'd like to know please, has anyone done any brief comparison between DP-X1 with Aune M1s? Curious to know their difference in sound :) Thanks

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #14,495 of 16,326
So I tried the Pioneer player on my OnKyo DP-X1A that was recommended, to possibly overcome a major shortcoming I was experiencing on the included player that it wasn't remembering where I left off on my playlist when powering back up.

I liked the home screen of the Pioneer player better because it had a graphical frequency display, HOWEVER:
- there was no way to view the current play cue nor any indication on the playing screen of how far the current track is along the playlist
- seemingly no ability to interact with / change the EQ settings other than a simple "on/off" of whichever EQ preset is currently up
- no auto-resume, so each boot up required manually finding where I left off by memory

Going back to the installed Onkyo player, I was still encountering the same issue of it remembering where I left off in my cue after each reset, so I figured a workaround which required creating a playlist within the app of the songs that were selected after ticking the "play all" option with multiple folders... Bingo now the Onkyo player is looking good, HOWEVER:
- No auto resume within the track!!!

Finally being able to reliably resume the correct track number after reboot, I find myself having to relisten to the entire track, which to me is a hassle because most of my files are large "blocks" of programming such as 20-minute recordings of specialty radio shows that were ripped live from my PC. Auto-resume of track location would also be crucial for the likes of podcasts since these files are rather large chunks too.

So I presume my best option would be to install a 3rd party player such as PowerAmp which I know from experience does all the above. However would anyone know if a 3rd party app would also take full advantage of the dual DAC chips of this DAP, or if it's likely to use only one?

Also if anyone knows a way to overcome the lack of auto-resume for playlists and location within the track for the Pioneer player, or the lack of auto resume within the track for the Onkyo player that would also be helpful... THANKS!

after reading on line for 4 hours..since I am thinking of an onkyop dp-x1 purchase. believe the dual amp dual dac is only useful when the 2 output lines are used with balanced cans or ear plugs, otherwise only 1 amp / 1 dac is used if there is 1 wire out being used not the 2 wires out with "balanced output capable ears or cans"-- and most of us use only 1 wire out{ the 3.5 wire out} . so might the $200 cheaper pioneer player with 1amp/1dac internals be a better buy if mostly we use unbalanced cans or ear iems?

May 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #14,496 of 16,326
I apologize. I did see this. I guess I just got confused by Onkyo's naming convention. I could have sworn that Onkyo released a DP-X1 revision using the letter "A" which solidified the 3.5mm output. Maybe I made this up in my head? LOL
yes, by improved jack holes they meant "more solidly anchored 3.5 and 2.5 output connections"--god knows why onkyo did such a poor job designing and implementing the connections on a $800 player. I have watched onkyo equipment for 30 years and their internals have mostly been very good but their equipment always has a few really stupid or short cut design and poor implementation mistakes- the dp-x1 and 1a contines that onkyo pattern- a real pity although I may give the dp-x1 a shot for a refurbished by onkyo plus 1 yr warannty for $400 today may 25, 2017

May 27, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #14,498 of 16,326
I have the FiiO X5, which I use with my Andromedas, but there is some hissing. The sound also seems a bit warmer than my Dragonfly Red. I'm wondering what the sound signature is like and whether there's any hissing on both the balanced and single ending outputs for the Onkyo DP-X1A
I see the dragon fly red on amazon for $197 so is disappointing your compare it to the now $599 dp-x1 as listed on B&H may 25,2017, today and the $400 Fiio x5 but your infor on the Fiio x5 is much appreciated since Im trying to compare Fiio x5 to dp-x1 and buy one, not sure which- which do you recommend after using both?

May 27, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #14,499 of 16,326
Hello !

A quite stupid but curious question...
I read somewhere SONY helped making corrections on a new Android in order to use their Bluetooth LDAC. Sorry, I do not remember where ! :wink:
Since the Onkyo dp-x1 uses one Android, do you think there are chances we could see this DAP sending LDAC one day ?

Does the Bluetooth LDAC need a special hardware or can it simply be coded onto an Android ?
Is Onkyo releasing system updates regularly or they already have given up ?
only 3 updates since the dp-1x has been out and one of those updates came just recently when the dp-x1a came out- so it sounds like onkyo is done with updates for the x1 and x1a since they share the same software, same dac, same amp but with the x1a different capacitors and the x1a better anchored connectors

May 27, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #14,500 of 16,326
A couple of month ago, I tried to hear differences between the Onkyo Music app and UAPP, while playing 24-Bit / 192-KHz files - and reported the results - https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/o...d-256-android-5.780642/page-875#post-13195157
on my sennheiser HD 650 headphones- can i simply unplug my headphone wires, buy new wires and have the hd650's be balanced- cant find if they were balanced originally or not, but they must be 7-9 yerars old, not used in 6 years- Id like to buy the onkyo dp-x1 but seems less useful if it drives only unbalanced headphones. I see the dp-x1for $500 refurbished by onkyo with 1 year warrant but to also get new balanced headphones might be quite a few more dollars. How can I get balanced headphone playback for a reasonable max $ additional dollars after the $500 to spend on the dp-x1 player. Im getting back to stereo after a 6 year diversion spent gamingand not kept up with newer equipement.

May 27, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #14,501 of 16,326
on my sennheiser HD 650 headphones- can i simply unplug my headphone wires, buy new wires and have the hd650's be balanced- cant find if they were balanced originally or not, but they must be 7-9 yerars old, not used in 6 years- Id like to buy the onkyo dp-x1 but seems less useful if it drives only unbalanced headphones. I see the dp-x1for $500 refurbished by onkyo with 1 year warrant but to also get new balanced headphones might be quite a few more dollars. How can I get balanced headphone playback for a reasonable max $ additional dollars after the $500 to spend on the dp-x1 player. Im getting back to stereo after a 6 year diversion spent gamingand not kept up with newer equipement.
Yes you can buy a balanced cable for your 650s and use it on the DP-X1. There are some nice balanced cables on Amazon.

May 27, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #14,502 of 16,326

After buying my DP-X1, I did some research, and ordered an Impact Audio Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) cable for my earphones/earbuds that use MMCX connectors. It's a really well made cable, using quality parts.
Just checked, and Lindsay also makes Sennheiser replacement cables, for ~$81 (get the smaller E-2.5GC TRRS connector, to put less stress on the DP-X1) - https://www.etsy.com/listing/244164727/custom-infinity-series-sennheiser

May 27, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #14,503 of 16,326
After buying my DP-X1, I did some research, and ordered an Impact Audio Balanced (2.5mm TRRS) cable for my earphones/earbuds that use MMCX connectors. It's a really well made cable, using quality parts.
Just checked, and Lindsay also makes Sennheiser replacement cables, for ~$81 (get the smaller E-2.5GC TRRS connector, to put less stress on the DP-X1) - https://www.etsy.com/listing/244164727/custom-infinity-series-sennheiser
thank much appreciated- been time consuming for me to get back in and get up to speed

May 28, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #14,504 of 16,326
How does the DP-X1A drive with the Noble K10? Most importantly does it hiss on the balance?

May 28, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #14,505 of 16,326
Well I pulled the plug last week and went with a refurbished DP X1 from http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onkdpx1/onkyo-dp-x1-digital-audio-player/1.html for 399. Should receive it weds. I also got the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKM235F/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 cable from amazon for balanced headphones for 45. I have a beyerdynamic t5p so I went with the beyer balanced headphone cable for 145 with the 45 adapter to get the 4pin xlr to 2.5mm balanced connector. Should be able to preview this by weds. Can't wait. Hoping the refurb is better than new (hoping they fixed the headphone jacks since they did a refurb). We'll see how that works out and I'll let you know. I was mainly interested in getting tidal without a pc so that was my main goal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back