ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #14,312 of 16,326
Hi guys I've a question..

I'm from Singapore and DP-X1A costs $999 SGD here for a new one. But I've got an AK-JR(SJ).

I currently have 2 amazing IEMs (for their price range)

1) Meelectronics Pinnacle P1
2) Fidue A83

While both of these currently sound absolutely amazing on my JR, I'm thinking if I should spend the money to upgrade to the DP-X1A for better UI experience, Wi-Fi, tidal support and presumably better sound quality.

I really love the wide soundstage experience of my current set-up and I'm unsure if DP-X1 will be a good upgrade from the JR. I really like A&K products however the UI on the JR is killing me slowly from the inside, and their upper tier products are extremely pricey.

I would like to hear your opinions thanks!!

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #14,313 of 16,326

I'm from Singapore and DP-X1A costs $999 SGD here for a new one. But I've got an AK-JR(SJ).

2) Fidue A83

While both of these currently sound absolutely amazing on my JR, I'm thinking if I should spend the money to upgrade to the DP-X1A for better UI experience, Wi-Fi, tidal support and presumably better sound quality.

I really love the wide soundstage experience of my current set-up and I'm unsure if DP-X1 will be a good upgrade from the JR. I really like A&K products however the UI on the JR is killing me slowly from the inside, and their upper tier products are extremely pricey.

Listen to tidal is already worth the upgrade.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #14,316 of 16,326

2) Fidue A83

My last DAP was actually an AK Jr. and I upgraded to a DP-X1. Sadly, I never got to compare both side by side, and have yet to even use the same IEMs or cans to compare, so it's tough for me to sufficiently make comparisons based on sound quality. Regardless, I loved the sound of the AK Jr. and have been very happy with the sound of the DP-X1 as well.

If you really do hate the UI of the AK, then absolutely go for the upgrade. The DP-X1 zips around and is much more flexible than the relatively bland, slow UI of the Jr.

The only advantage the Jr. has on the Onkyo is size. The Jr. was much easier to travel with. Other than that, the better battery life, ability to use Android apps, balanced output etc. all put the Onkyo well above the Jr.

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #14,317 of 16,326

2) Fidue A83

I have had an AKJr and now have the DP-X1. I can tell you its a step up for sure over the AKJR on my JHAudio 13s and on Layla as well. 

In fact I was pretty disappointed with the AKJr, though it was a while ago so I couldn't tell you the details, but sonically its an upgrade for sure.

i have also owned AK100II and tried AK300s. Im not impressed with Astell and Kern for IEMs as their output impedance is too high and I find I can never get the Bass AND high end where I want it.

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #14,318 of 16,326
I'm considering getting a new DAP. I like the DP-X1. I've also seen the DP-X1A selling for about $160 more. From what I've read is the newer version has resolved the headphone jack issue and is supposedly has a quieter floor.
So, my question is, is the X1A worth the extra money? The is issue with the headphone jack really that bad on the X1?

I'm also looking at the Pioneer XDP-100R/300R - which seems to be the same player under the skin?

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #14,319 of 16,326
Can someone please extract the APKs for the latest v1.6 Pioneer and Onkyo APKs? I just spent the past 2 hours looking for the APKs but was not able to download them. I have a rooted device so I cannot update the apps automatically unfortunately. 
To extract the APKs is a very simple process. Just download App Backup (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.usage.appbackup) and have it backup the Music player APKs. No rooted device needed! (hopefully ;/) 
Thanks to whoever is able to do this! Happy Easter!

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #14,320 of 16,326
  I'm considering getting a new DAP. I like the DP-X1. I've also seen the DP-X1A selling for about $160 more. From what I've read is the newer version has resolved the headphone jack issue and is supposedly has a quieter floor.
So, my question is, is the X1A worth the extra money? The is issue with the headphone jack really that bad on the X1?

I'm also looking at the Pioneer XDP-100R/300R - which seems to be the same player under the skin?

I don't have any issues with headphone jack on my dp-x1. From what I read in this forum, only the initial batches had the issue. The later batches didn't. Unless there's an improvement in sound quality, it is safe to ignore dp-x1a.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #14,321 of 16,326

I don't have any issues with headphone jack on my dp-x1. From what I read in this forum, only the initial batches had the issue. The later batches didn't. Unless there's an improvement in sound quality, it is safe to ignore dp-x1a.

Thanks. That's good to hear. I ordered the X1.

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #14,323 of 16,326

According to some reports here in this thread - there are some improvements in sound quality, due to better quality passive components being used in the DP-X1A (the processor and dual-DAC / dual-amp hardware is the same).  The most obvious upgrades are - the 64GB (vs 32GB) of internal memory, and a much better battery life.  At least one person reported being able to use an earphone cable (3.5mm TRRS) with a Mic, and make Skype calls [ http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13605#post_13238906 ].

Apr 18, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #14,324 of 16,326

What IEMs are you planning to use with it? Campfire Audio Jupiter in balanced mode was stunning. 

Shure SE846.
I am considering getting a set of balanced cables for them. 
However, Onkyo states in the specs not to go below an impedance of  32 ohms for balanced earphones. The SE846's are supposed to be 9 ohms. But, I've read posts where people are using their SE846's on the DP-X1 in balanced mode. Kind of confusing.

Apr 18, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #14,325 of 16,326
  Shure SE846.
I am considering getting a set of balanced cables for them. 
However, Onkyo states in the specs not to go below an impedance of  32 ohms for balanced earphones. The SE846's are supposed to be 9 ohms. But, I've read posts where people are using their SE846's on the DP-X1 in balanced mode. Kind of confusing.

Yes, it's confusing. But the SQ is great with the SE846 in Balanced. Definitely better than Single Ended. I suggest to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back