ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 29, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #14,207 of 16,326

The bulk of the jack issues were apparently only present in the first batch of DP-X1s. The second batch had some reported issues with the 3.5mm jack, but not as prevalent. The new model, the DP-X1A, has addressed all issues, apparently.

I have a DP-X1 from the second+ batch and I've had zero issues thus far. If you are looking at buying one, get the serial and contact Onkyo to see which batch it's from. If you are buying one in person, you can inspect the jacks for any play prior to purchasing (or you can return in if possible).

I can't comment on the comparison between the DP-X1 and the Fiio, as I have never used the Fiio, but I will say the DP-X1 is phenomenal.

If I order a DP-X1, and the headphone jacks don't "wiggle", I can assume I have one from the 2nd batch, or just lucky?  I guess that is the benefit of going through Amazon... if I'm not pleased, I'll send it back.

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #14,209 of 16,326
Try setting the gain in the preferences of the DPX1 to mid or even low1/low2. Solved it for me when using the balanced out.
Hello. Thanks. Yes, it solves the hiss problems, but then I cant listen to my headphones loud enough... :) On the other side, with the stock playes, even on high gain background is dead silent! Tidal software issue? Or it doesnt use the DAC's???

Mar 29, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #14,210 of 16,326
If you can hear the V4A audio driver processing the audio, when activating the "Master Power" switch in V4A, you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Since V4A is inserting itself between the Onkyo Music Player and the audio hardware, it's very unlikely that it's using the "proprietary" Dual DAC configuration. If a 3rd party audio processing app was developed to use the Dual DACs, I would expect them to be advertising that feature front-and-center in their promotional info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the heads up, I've definitely noticed V4A audio processing so I won't do anything further with regards to BusyBox and disabling SELinux.

As for the Onkyo Music Player, is this is still using the Sabre DAC while V4A is using the Qualcomm CPU for DSP processing? Thanks

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:26 PM Post #14,211 of 16,326

Thank you for the heads up, I've definitely noticed V4A audio processing so I won't do anything further with regards to BusyBox and disabling SELinux.

As for the Onkyo Music Player, is this is still using the Sabre DAC while V4A is using the Qualcomm CPU for DSP processing? Thanks

(Emphasis added)

Now that is the specific technical question that many people have guessed about, but no one from Onkyo Engineering has definitively answered (at least not here on these forums).

Different personnel, from various Onkyo Customer Service organizations, have answered people's email & Facebook inquiries - saying that only the Onkyo Music Player app has been written to use the Dual DAC / Dual Amp architecture of the DP-X1.

Apparently, the Music Player is proprietary (not Open Source), since we haven't seen any 3rd Party Audio Processing apps developed, which claim the same ability to use the DP-X1 hardware.

Mar 29, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #14,212 of 16,326
  If I order a DP-X1, and the headphone jacks don't "wiggle", I can assume I have one from the 2nd batch, or just lucky?  I guess that is the benefit of going through Amazon... if I'm not pleased, I'll send it back.

I really can't say for sure if that means you have just a good unit or a newer unit, but maybe someone can chime in and say.

And that return policy is a good insurance just in case.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #14,213 of 16,326
A big part of that is about non-SQ features. Plenue M2 and Opus are pretty much DAP only, while the Onkyo has full Android functionality. DX80 just never grabbed me. SQ didn't seem like a significant upgrade from my Plenue D. There are also a lot of useability issues to consider.

I'm very happy with the Plenue D for its size, battery life and surprisingly good SQ. Definitely the right answer for on-the-go listening while active. So I'm looking for a very HiFi option to sit between OTG and desktop listening. None of the candidates have separated themselves from the pack.

Plenue M2 slightly ahead on SQ points -- great precision and detail, but still musical. Lack of balanced output, streaming and playlist support are probably deal breakers though. Opus is as musical, but slightly less detailed. Good playlist support, but no streaming. Onkyo is very detailed with best sound stage, but slightly less musical. Useability is very good, but I worry about the jack problem. Probably ahead on points, but not enough to close the deal.

I was thinking about trying the Fiio X5iii, but from reviews, I don't think the SQ will be competitive, and (like any new product) there are useability issues. At this point I'm seriously wondering if my budget can stretch to the DX200.

Does DP-X1 has line out as Fiio X5 3 to connect an AMP like Fiio A5?

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #14,214 of 16,326

Does DP-X1 has line out as Fiio X5 3 to connect an AMP like Fiio A5?

Yes, the single-ended (3.5mm TRS) output can be switched between Line Out, and "Amp" out to drive headphones.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #14,215 of 16,326
Hello. Thanks. Yes, it solves the hiss problems, but then I cant listen to my headphones loud enough... :) On the other side, with the stock playes, even on high gain background is dead silent! Tidal software issue? Or it doesnt use the DAC's???

The stock player produces slightly better sound for me (high resolution flac files e.g. ripped with Exact Audio Copy from CD) compared to my Tidal HiFi Abo - therefore I believe that "only" the stock player utilizes the potential of the DACs. Do any tech experts have an opinion or an answer to this?

Regarding the music being to silent - I experienced that with the DPX1, but changed for the DPX1A (ordered from Amazon Japan / I can order from the US, UK, Germany, France... everywhere - but for Japan I needed a separate account). The DPX1A easily drives the Beyerdynamic T1.2 (600 ohms).

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #14,216 of 16,326
The stock player produces slightly better sound for me (high resolution flac files e.g. ripped with Exact Audio Copy from CD) compared to my Tidal HiFi Abo - therefore I believe that "only" the stock player utilizes the potential of the DACs. Do any tech experts have an opinion or an answer to this?

Regarding the music being to silent - I experienced that with the DPX1, but changed for the DPX1A (ordered from Amazon Japan / I can order from the US, UK, Germany, France... everywhere - but for Japan I needed a separate account). The DPX1A easily drives the Beyerdynamic T1.2 (600 ohms).

Now I really want to ensure if I purchase, that if I purchase... I get the DP-X1A.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #14,218 of 16,326
Hey Guys.

If Onkyo DP-X1 didn't exist, What would be your next go to DAP?

Just curious
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back