ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 28, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #14,191 of 16,326
  Now that the US has their units... how are the headphone jacks? Still loose? I'm deciding between this and the X5iii... Looking through the specs of each to help me decide. Anyone try both?

The bulk of the jack issues were apparently only present in the first batch of DP-X1s. The second batch had some reported issues with the 3.5mm jack, but not as prevalent. The new model, the DP-X1A, has addressed all issues, apparently.

I have a DP-X1 from the second+ batch and I've had zero issues thus far. If you are looking at buying one, get the serial and contact Onkyo to see which batch it's from. If you are buying one in person, you can inspect the jacks for any play prior to purchasing (or you can return in if possible).

I can't comment on the comparison between the DP-X1 and the Fiio, as I have never used the Fiio, but I will say the DP-X1 is phenomenal.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #14,192 of 16,326
JRiver Media Center 22 has the ability to sync music to multiple portable devices. I need to spend a bit of time, and set it up for my DP-X1 and Shanling M1 DAPs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #14,193 of 16,326
it looks like my dp-x1 is dead.. i cant turn it on and if i plug it into a power source, the battle icon flashes a few time then goes off. the process just keep repeating... does anyone have a solution for this? how do i hard reset this brick?

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #14,194 of 16,326
  it looks like my dp-x1 is dead.. i cant turn it on and if i plug it into a power source, the battle icon flashes a few time then goes off. the process just keep repeating... does anyone have a solution for this? how do i hard reset this brick?

Wait, you're saying that it doesn't charge? Can you try a different charger?

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #14,197 of 16,326
  In case this wasn't posted here yet, or it is buried in this thread...

I asked Onkyo Europe on FB about Onkyo DP-X1A - it is Asia-only unfortunately.
I am waiting for answer about some possible world-wide successor.

I heard the same line from the Onkyo USA people.  I talked to Onkyo Japan a while back as did a few others and they confirmed the DPX1A for at least US release if not worldwide.  I think Onkyo has communication issues with their global partners.  It has been brought up here before.  I can be quoted from this thread saying that Onkyo USA has diarrhea of the mouth so I don't inquire with them anymore.  I only email Onkyo Japan.  Onkyo USA just doesn't get properly informed on products and I fear the same with their European partner or distributor.  I know many US dealers are considering not selling Onkyo due to the difficult nature of getting product and information and support.  Drew from Moon Audio being one of many.  I spoke with him at length about it a couple of months back.  It is a matter of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.  It is sad, but hey they still make a much better dap than Fiio has managed to deliver recently.  That is a true trainwreck over on the X5 3 and X7 threads product wise and Fiio seems to be treating customers as beta testers and patronizing them with useless firmware updates and your typical lip service support that goes nowhere.

Good Luck

Riley

Mar 29, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #14,198 of 16,326

I heard the same line from the Onkyo USA people.  I talked to Onkyo Japan a while back as did a few others and they confirmed the DPX1A for at least US release if not worldwide.  I think Onkyo has communication issues with their global partners.  It has been brought up here before.  I can be quoted from this thread saying that Onkyo USA has diarrhea of the mouth so I don't inquire with them anymore.  I only email Onkyo Japan.  Onkyo USA just doesn't get properly informed on products and I fear the same with their European partner or distributor.  I know many US dealers are considering not selling Onkyo due to the difficult nature of getting product and information and support.  Drew from Moon Audio being one of many.  I spoke with him at length about it a couple of months back.  It is a matter of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.  It is sad, but hey they still make a much better dap than Fiio has managed to deliver recently.  That is a true trainwreck over on the X5 3 and X7 threads product wise and Fiio seems to be treating customers as beta testers and patronizing them with useless firmware updates and your typical lip service support that goes nowhere.

Good Luck

Riley

Well, from your message, Japan HQ told you that "no US release" - did they say same for Europe ? (I will ask them if not)
As for DAP itself - I can still buy Onkyo DP-X1, it will not hurt, but from those few messages I read here, seems that X1A has some nice improvements worth of investing over X1.

As for that matter - do you, or anybody else know some good reseller in Europe, that ships within Europe ?
For a love of god I am not able to find some reseller other than some not very known in my country.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #14,199 of 16,326

Well, from your message, Japan HQ told you that "no US release" - did they say same for Europe ? (I will ask them if not)
As for DAP itself - I can still buy Onkyo DP-X1, it will not hurt, but from those few messages I read here, seems that X1A has some nice improvements worth of investing over X1.

As for that matter - do you, or anybody else know some good reseller in Europe, that ships within Europe ?
For a love of god I am not able to find some reseller other than some not very known in my country.

Onkyo USA told me no US release for the DPX1A so I said I went over their head to Onkyo Japan and inquired.  They said yes it will be released in the US.  Please don't put words in my mouth.  Others have posted the same thing.

Cheers

Riley

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #14,200 of 16,326
profile_mask2.png

Dear Riley,

We do not have a release at this time.

Denise Torgersen
Product Support Rep
Onkyo USA Corp.
Pioneer Electronics

ONKYOUSA, Onkyo Admin <onkyoadmin@us.onkyo.com>

6:27 AM (10 minutes ago)
to me
cleardot.gif

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #14,202 of 16,326

I didn't want to offend you...

Thanks for answer.

All is well and no worries.  I went ahead and emailed Onkyo USA because I could not for the life of me figure out how to email Onkyo Japan.  At least I have some time to start saving first.  I figured I would just see what thir tone was today.  they kind of are not super up on all things Onkyo for whatever reason.

best of luck

Riley

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #14,203 of 16,326
I've recently updated my Pioneer XDP-100R stock ROM to XVortex's custom ROM (DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite firmware) along side the custom Viper4Android 2.5.0.5 app. The end result is phenomenal, the OS is a lot snappier and Viper's DSP is amazing when used with the stock music app.
Currently, my Viper4Android settings are Viper DDC with Sennheiser HD650 as my headphone, AnalogX is also enabled.
My question is with regards to the Sabre DAC, am I still utilizing this DAC even though I have Viper DSP enabled when using to the stock music app?
Also, is it necessary to install BusyBox and update the drivers while disabling SELinux in Viper developer option?
Thank you for your help.

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #14,204 of 16,326
I've recently updated my Pioneer XDP-100R stock ROM to XVortex's custom ROM (DP-X1_0.1.37.8_VTX_Lite firmware) along side the custom Viper4Android 2.5.0.5 app. The end result is phenomenal, the OS is a lot snappier and Viper's DSP is amazing when used with the stock music app.
Currently, my Viper4Android settings are Viper DDC with Sennheiser HD650 as my headphone, AnalogX is also enabled.
My question is with regards to the Sabre DAC, am I still utilizing this DAC even though I have Viper DSP enabled when using to the stock music app?
Also, is it necessary to install BusyBox and update the drivers while disabling SELinux in Viper developer option?
Thank you for your help.

If you can hear the V4A audio driver processing the audio, when activating the "Master Power" switch in V4A, you shouldn't need to do anything else.

Since V4A is inserting itself between the Onkyo Music Player and the audio hardware, it's very unlikely that it's using the "proprietary" Dual DAC configuration. If a 3rd party audio processing app was developed to use the Dual DACs, I would expect them to be advertising that feature front-and-center in their promotional info.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back