ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 8, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #13,981 of 16,326
I know there is a lot of posts and noreally I like reading through the thread... but my dx 90 is giving me troubles lately and I just received the audiofly af 1120 which is the newer 6ba driver iem from them. It is 10ohms I am looking for a player that I can upgrade tof. Would the onkyo dxp1 be a worthwhile investment basickly I'm at a lost I can grab one used for 400 in good condition. I am between this player and the mojo via my Samsung s7 edge. Or maybe even the pioneer xdp100r. I'm at work and I am trying to order one tomorrow. So after work I'll delve past the first part of the thread I read already with hopes with some comparisons. Help is appreciated

I think Mojo has warmer sound should improve your af1120. I has no complaints to mojo SQ just if you can bear it's quite difficult to use it in mobile.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:23 AM Post #13,982 of 16,326
I felt that the DP-X1 was more neutral/detailed/analytical than warm/dark OR bright. Didn't add much color to IEMs. So my Frogbeats came through bright, airy and detailed, while my Aurisonics sound was characteristically warm and musical -- maybe just a touch thick.

Also, I think the SQ of the Pioneer will be very similar. Biggest difference will be lack of balanced output.

From what I've picked up from your comments, it seems like you are hoping to 'fix' the basic signature of the Audiofly with your source. I don't think you can do that without EQ, although I'll defer to other posters with more experience with a wider range of sources.

I actually love the way my audiofly sounds via my NFB 28 from audio gd it is detail, resolving, and clean. I just was worried the pioneer or dpx1 would be thinner and brighter and that is what my IEM would take from it since it is pretty neutral. But if it is neutral, detailed, analytical that is not bad thing at all. Out of the daps you are using and auditioning which do you prefer so far? 

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #13,983 of 16,326
...Out of the daps you are using and auditioning which do you prefer so far? 

A big part of that is about non-SQ features. Plenue M2 and Opus are pretty much DAP only, while the Onkyo has full Android functionality. DX80 just never grabbed me. SQ didn't seem like a significant upgrade from my Plenue D. There are also a lot of useability issues to consider.

I'm very happy with the Plenue D for its size, battery life and surprisingly good SQ. Definitely the right answer for on-the-go listening while active. So I'm looking for a very HiFi option to sit between OTG and desktop listening. None of the candidates have separated themselves from the pack.

Plenue M2 slightly ahead on SQ points -- great precision and detail, but still musical. Lack of balanced output, streaming and playlist support are probably deal breakers though. Opus is as musical, but slightly less detailed. Good playlist support, but no streaming. Onkyo is very detailed with best sound stage, but slightly less musical. Useability is very good, but I worry about the jack problem. Probably ahead on points, but not enough to close the deal.

I was thinking about trying the Fiio X5iii, but from reviews, I don't think the SQ will be competitive, and (like any new product) there are useability issues. At this point I'm seriously wondering if my budget can stretch to the DX200.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #13,985 of 16,326
Hello. Have received today a used X1. Does the SQ will really much better from the balanced out? Just want to decide should I reterminate my headphones or put streight it back on sale?

Just wanting to hear your 2 cents how do you like the sound so far from the singled ended? what IEMs or headphones are you pairing with them ? Thanks for the input

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #13,986 of 16,326
....Does the SQ will really much better from the balanced out? ....

I wouldn't say '...really much better...'

Of course that depends on what you're driving.  For me, with low-impedance IEMs, the added power is a non-factor.  Might be different if you're driving hungry cans.

As far as the improvements I heard (about the same on all three IEMs I tested), it was incremental.  Somewhat bigger, more resolved sound-stage.  Slightly bigger/tighter lows.  Not much else.  BTW, 'Somewhat' is a little more than 'Slightly'.  
redface.gif

I guess from your post that you're disappointed in the SQ/signature -- sorry.

Mar 9, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #13,988 of 16,326
  For my shure se846 the difference is ''really much better''. Which earphones / headphones you have? Its a different universe balanced. Substantially clearer, powerful, musical, detailed.

@GeorgeM:

Interesting.  I guess this is a case of 'different cans, different ears'.  I agree with your assessment, except that I wouldn't have used the word 'Substantially' -- 'Somewhat' or 'Slightly' more accurately describe what I heard.  Although, I was more focused on Onkyo vs Opus in my listening tests, rather than SE vs balanced.  Also, really hard to do a good A/B, given resetting the DAP, swapping cables, volume matching.

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #13,992 of 16,326
  Would you mind to elaborate on this, please. Usually it is not required two have two DACs and/or AMPs to do balanced. All you need is four wires going from amp to 4 poles plug, I think

You are correct - any single ended signal can be converted to balanced, by feeding the signal to the inverting input of one opamp, and also the non-inverting input of a second opamp, obviously taking into account setting the gain the same for each one.  This results in one opamp outputting a positive going voltage, that's matched by a negative going voltage from the other opamp (relative to GND). 

Recently, I posted some questions about the Dual DAC / Dual Amps on the Onkyo USA Facebook page, and they were answered - but I don't know if it was by someone in Engineering, or Customer Service -  http://www.head-fi.org/t/780642/onkyo-dp-x1-dual-sabre-dacs-balanced-sabre-btl-amp-mqa-dsd-256-android-5/13245#post_13212630

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #13,993 of 16,326
I'm hoping for some advice for those who own this unit. I have a new DP-X1A, and it has no problems driving several of my unbalanced IEMs. I have Sennheiser HD650's however which the dap seems unable to power properly, even on the highest gain settings. I'm not only maxing out the volume, but they sound weak and thin compared to driving them with my Pro-ject Headbox SEII which I normally use for non-portable listening. My question is, should I invest in a pair of balanced trrs 2.5mm cables for them? I hear that the balanced architecture allows for "dual amplifier" usage which might solve the problem. I'm looking at either silver dragon, surfcables, or Canare's as they all offer this cable conversion for the HD650's. Does this actually work or do you need to buy headphones that are made with balanced cables? I don't quite understand the technical details, but I thought I read that you can't convert unbalanced headphones to balanced, but maybe that was referring to the terminations rather than the whole cables being replaced. Any advice is appreciated. Also, love this player - it sounds amazing and functions extremely well.

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #13,994 of 16,326
I have the 650's (and 800's)which I use with the Geek Out V2 in balanced configuration and they work very well. You don't need headphones made with balanced cables. Almost any set of headphones which have separate wires for each transducer can be converted to balanced with minimal effort. The Sennheiser's are very simple to convert with their detachable cables. The added drive in the balanced configuration might be enough to meke them enjoyable to you with the DP-X1A. The Geek Out puts out a lot more current than the DP-X1A but I believe the DP-X1A could handle the Sennheisser's running balanced.

Mar 10, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #13,995 of 16,326
Can anybody help with Pioneer in Onkyo thread? 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/821830/pioneer-xdp-300r-twin-dac-es9018k2m-balanced-out-android-mqa-2x-microsd-wifi-aptx/735#post_13323265

Users who are viewing this thread

Back