ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 20, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #13,862 of 16,326

we need someone else to try with root to be sure it's working on highres support, since only xVortex wrote he did it; maybe something changed since the last onkyo update.

Ok I succeeded the solution was to give permissions to the dummy file "If it still doesn't work, you have to set the permissions of the audio_hifi.conf dummy to 0664 (rw–r–r)."

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8810-poweramp-alpha-build-703704/&page=8#comment-35715
So for now Poweramp alpha version is working.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #13,864 of 16,326

Ok I succeeded the solution was to give permissions to the dummy file "If it still doesn't work, you have to set the permissions of the audio_hifi.conf dummy to 0664 (rw–r–r)."

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8810-poweramp-alpha-build-703704/&page=8#comment-35715
So for now Poweramp alpha version is working.

Good to hear it, i still have hope that Max will  add the support in the official poweramp release; i don't want to root my DP-X1

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #13,866 of 16,326
  Good to hear it, i still have hope that Max will  add the support in the official poweramp release; i don't want to root my DP-X1

Doesn't re-routing the audio server require a root level application?

I know when I was trying some command line changes for Viper4Android, they were affecting files on the System partition, which required root access to make read/write - before the changes could be made.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #13,867 of 16,326
  Doesn't re-routing the audio server require a root level application?

I know when I was trying some command line changes for Viper4Android, they were affecting files on the System partition, which required root access to make read/write - before the changes could be made.

As far as i know, nope; since an application just need to read on proprietary file system, not modifying.

poweramp programmer need to call the correct libraries to have high-res support using ESS, it's why he asks about audio_policy.conf file, he can find reference on libraries call on specific DAC hardware and it's why more and more users are complaining that high-res hardware support is not working under android 7.0 but was working under android 6.0

Google changed the file of audio configuration to .xml format:
https://source.android.com/devices/audio/implement-policy.html

i still suspect one thing on third parties audio players (but i don't have proof of that, just guessing):

i'm not sure they use ESS9018K2M as DACs but rather the Snapdragon integrated DAC, that's also capable of high-res playback, poweramp gives that string on description (maybe is just a description, not the real support)

ESS6901K are always used as headphones amps, that's quite easy to find, balanced AGC works even playing Youtube videos or any other audio player.

So until, we don't have a specific support (i tried to write to Foobar mobile but they deleted my post, too many links
rolleyes.gif
 ) to compress-offload-playback , i doubt ESS9018K2M are used or at least they are used only as low latency device 48000Hz/16bit

low_latency {
         sampling_rates 44100|48000
         channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
         formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT

devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
         flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_FAST
      }

compress_offload {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|16000|22050|32000|44100|48000|96000|192000

channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_2POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_QUAD|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_PENTA|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_5POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_6POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_7POINT1
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_OFFLOAD
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #13,870 of 16,326
  As far as i know, nope; since an application just need to read on proprietary file system, not modifying.

poweramp programmer need to call the correct libraries to have high-res support using ESS, it's why he asks about audio_policy.conf file, he can find reference on libraries call on specific DAC hardware and it's why more and more users are complaining that high-res hardware support is not working under android 7.0 but was working under android 6.0

Google changed the file of audio configuration to .xml format:
https://source.android.com/devices/audio/implement-policy.html

i still suspect one thing on third parties audio players (but i don't have proof of that, just guessing):

i'm not sure they use ESS9018K2M as DACs but rather the Snapdragon integrated DAC, that's also capable of high-res playback, poweramp gives that string on description (maybe is just a description, not the real support)

ESS6901K are always used as headphones amps, that's quite easy to find, balanced AGC works even playing Youtube videos or any other audio player.

So until, we don't have a specific support (i tried to write to Foobar mobile but they deleted my post, too many links
rolleyes.gif
 ) to compress-offload-playback , i doubt ESS9018K2M are used or at least they are used only as low latency device 48000Hz/16bit

low_latency {
         sampling_rates 44100|48000
         channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
         formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT

devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
         flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_FAST
      }

compress_offload {
        sampling_rates 8000|11025|16000|22050|32000|44100|48000|96000|192000

channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_MONO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_2POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_QUAD|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_PENTA|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_5POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_6POINT1|AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_7POINT1
        formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_OFFLOAD
        devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
        flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING

Regarding foobar it is working but of course they use the regular DAC

http://forum.foobar2000.com/forum/showthread.php?596-flac-sacd-24-bit

I got a question If I use the modified Build prop do you think the Onkyo player is still recognizing the player as onkyo and subsequently use the Sabre DAC?

also when using Poweramp with the mod I think the volume went way down and both amp as balanced are practically a requirement also regarding viper4 android first of all it wont wok with anything above 44/ 48 KHZ

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=70342538&postcount=24463

plus I noticed viper4 android is adding some kind of scratchy background noise floor not very nice to ear.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #13,871 of 16,326
yes, i know Foobar works but i sent an email and tried to post on their forum to ask if there will be any specific support for the DP-X family's hardware.

Onkyo stock player will always use the correct hardware, since it has the correct libraries calls; the ro.product.manufacturer mod is just to fool poweramp device check and enable highres "hardware" support on unlisted/unsupported manufacterer. 

viper4 android is just a software ehancement, like Dolby or BBE on Cowon device, so no hardware support for the DP-X1

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #13,872 of 16,326
  yes, i know Foobar works but i sent an email and tried to post on their forum to ask if there will be any specific support for the DP-X family's hardware.

Onkyo stock player will always use the correct hardware, since it has the correct libraries calls; the ro.product.manufacturer mod is just to fool poweramp device check and enable highres "hardware" support on unlisted/unsupported manufacterer. 

viper4 android is just a software ehancement, like Dolby or BBE on Cowon device, so no hardware support for the DP-X1

Viper4Android is just a software signal processor, but it works at system level to "EQ" most/all apps, hence the need to be in Permissive mode for the MediaServer to work that way.

These are the commands that I was talking about, that required root access (they supposedly change the supolicy of SuperSU):

su
mount -o rw,remount /system
cd /system/su.d
echo '#! /system/bin/sh' > 50viper.sh
echo '/system/xbin/supolicy --live "allow mediaserver mediaserver_tmpfs:file { read write execute };"' >> 50viper.sh
chown root.root 50viper.sh
chmod 755 50viper.sh
cd /
mount -o ro,remount /system
exit 

Take Care,
David Baldock

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #13,875 of 16,326
  Is there a silicon case for ONKYO DP-X1  ?  

Does a Google search for - "silicone" "DP-X1" - return any results for cases other than real or synthetic leather?

And the answer is, No.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back