ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 8, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #13,696 of 16,326

Thanks... but to my disappointment, the unit is now completely not responding. I came back to it this morning after leaving it to charge.

Blank screen. That's all I get.

Tried pressing and holding down the power button for 20 to 30secs. Nothing.

Tried pressing and holding down (power + forward) button 20-30secs. Nothing.

Can't even get the screen to flicker. Pffftttt...

Oh well, here's the update so far. I'm trying to be objective and forgive me if I'm not.

Contacted local distributor (Singapore), hoping to find out whether there are any local service center that I can send this in. They guy said they are the point of contact.

The guy over the phone was trying to help but I can't help having the feeling that it's a little wishy-washy here. This DP-X1A was bought from Japan (online) so it's a little unclear whether they are able to help me out. Costs of repair was mentioned along with long servicing timeline (up to 2 months). Honestly, I wouldn't mind (or perhaps, I don't really have much choice) if it could fix the unit which I believe I'm running out of luck. Just feeling a little down on luck as the unit was bought recently in Dec 16.

Suggestion was made also to refer back to Japan site which the DP-X1A was bought. Tried that (it's all in Japanese language) and no way I'm able to navigate through without extensive crash course in kan'ji.

Still, have filed a report on Onkyo (Asia) website and lets see how this goes and whether I'll receive response. Let's hope this is not gonna be another long bumpy road.

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #13,697 of 16,326
  I think this pop-up might be self=explanatory. Try going to settings ->apps.  Click on Music app, somewhere on the next screen there should be "clear defaults"

Does not help.
It is possible to disable Music but I don't know what would happen...it offers to replace it with the factory version, What's that?

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #13,698 of 16,326

Oh well, here's the update so far. I'm trying to be objective and forgive me if I'm not.

Contacted local distributor (Singapore), hoping to find out whether there are any local service center that I can send this in. They guy said they are the point of contact.

The guy over the phone was trying to help but I can't help having the feeling that it's a little wishy-washy here. This DP-X1A was bought from Japan (online) so it's a little unclear whether they are able to help me out. Costs of repair was mentioned along with long servicing timeline (up to 2 months). Honestly, I wouldn't mind (or perhaps, I don't really have much choice) if it could fix the unit which I believe I'm running out of luck. Just feeling a little down on luck as the unit was bought recently in Dec 16.

Suggestion was made also to refer back to Japan site which the DP-X1A was bought. Tried that (it's all in Japanese language) and no way I'm able to navigate through without extensive crash course in kan'ji.

Still, have filed a report on Onkyo (Asia) website and lets see how this goes and whether I'll receive response. Let's hope this is not gonna be another long bumpy road.

Just read the second part of my last post after "update" you should be able to flash the firmware from the original recovery.
In case search https://www.google.com/search?q=cannot+go+into+recovery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8 

Like he said download one of the firmware on the links, rename it to update.zip, put it in /sdcard and select "Update from sdcard" from the recovery. ( forward button first and power together release both as soon you get the penguin after you get the recovery menu and update)

here the link

Hello,
Try this:
-Grab the firmware here (link from this post)
https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/df30d6331a9d059b201363a70c664bed92470bf2.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip
-Rename it into update.zip, copy to /sdcard
-from the recovery, select Update from SDCard

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #13,699 of 16,326
  Just read the second part of my last post after "update" you should be able to flash the firmware from the original recovery.

Like he said download one of the firmware on the links, rename it to update.zip, put it in /sdcard and select "Update from sdcard" from the recovery. ( forward button first and power together release both as soon you get the penguin after you get the recovery menu and update)

here the link

Hello,
Try this:
-Grab the firmware here (link from this post)
https://android.googleapis.com/packages/ota/onkyo_raizin32_raizin32/df30d6331a9d059b201363a70c664bed92470bf2.signed-Onkyo_32G-ota_update.zip
-Rename it into update.zip, copy to /sdcard
-from the recovery, select Update from SDCard

The issue here is... it's a complete blank screen at this stage. I am not getting anything on-screen at this point. Complete blank and black screen. No activity at all. If it was yesterday, I might still see a penguin. Today the unit just refuse to show any signs of life (even though I left it to charge overnight). Blank screen is all I get. No penguin. No charging indicator. No activity whatsoever.

Even when I pug it in to a power source it is not showing any battery charging activity going on. I've tried different charging cables.

As I mentioned earlier... not even a flicker. Complete darkness. Blank and black.

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:05 AM Post #13,700 of 16,326
The issue here is... it's a complete blank screen at this stage. I am not getting anything on-screen at this point. Complete blank and black screen. No activity at all. If it was yesterday, I might still see a penguin. Today the unit just refuse to show any signs of life (even though I left it to charge overnight). Blank screen is all I get. No penguin. No charging indicator. No activity whatsoever.

Even when I pug it in to a power source it is not showing any battery charging activity going on. I've tried different charging cables.

As I mentioned earlier... not even a flicker. Complete darkness. Blank and black.

Try all the buttons together or at least pw fw re a and maybe play or combination of it at the bottom there is a pinhole I am not sure but it can be a reset switch

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #13,701 of 16,326
Try all the buttons together or at least pw fw re a and maybe play or combination of it at the bottom there is a pinhole I am not sure but it can be a reset switch

Well, now that's just desperate and random. The hard reset is (Power + Forward) buttons and before my unit die on me, it responded to a hard reset. Anyway, I tried a different combination of buttons and they are not working

BTW, in case anyone starts poking around the pinhole (at the bottom). According to the manual, the pinhole is for mic (see Item 4). I just realized this after flipping through the manual. Though to be honest, I don't recall reading anywhere DP-X1A has a recording function...

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #13,702 of 16,326
  Does not help.
It is possible to disable Music but I don't know what would happen...it offers to replace it with the factory version, What's that?

Are you sure you selected "clear defaults" on that screen? The image you posted, the question "Do you want to replace..." comes up if you clik "uninstall", you need to click "clear defaults" , its is on the bottom of the App info screen, just before the permissions..

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #13,703 of 16,326

Well, now that's just desperate and random. The hard reset is (Power + Forward) buttons and before my unit die on me, it responded to a hard reset. Anyway, I tried a different combination of buttons and they are not working

BTW, in case anyone starts poking around the pinhole (at the bottom). According to the manual, the pinhole is for mic (see Item 4). I just realized this after flipping through the manual. Though to be honest, I don't recall reading anywhere DP-X1A has a recording function...

Someone with a DP-X1A recently posted in this thread, that Skype worked for VOIP conversations, using a 3.5mm TRRS cable with a Mic.

This is a notable upgrade from the original DP-X1.

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #13,704 of 16,326
Just got my DP-X1A (from Japan with a Square Trade warranty for about what I expect the US price will be).  I've been using a DP-X1 for about a year that I'm going to pass down to my son.  But having both at once means I've been able to go back and forth quickly between the two with the same IEMs never leaving my ears.  I can say definitively that the X1A is a step up sonically.  The most obvious differences to my ears are: (1) more dynamic--hard drum hits jump out more and (2) fuller bass.  The first seems likely to translate to any set of iems or cans.  The latter might be unique to my IEMS (Campfire Jupiter and Dorado), but I doubt it.  It is enough of a difference to make everyone go out and replace their DP-X1?  No, it's not night and day, more like dawn and mid-morning.  But if you don't have a X1 and wonder if you should wait for the X1A to come to the US?  Wait.  You'll be pleased you did.

Can't say anything about battery life yet, but I will when I know.

And just to lay to rest any concerns, the balanced jack is very tight and I can't move either jack around.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #13,705 of 16,326
Just got my DP-X1A (from Japan with a Square Trade warranty for about what I expect the US price will be).  I've been using a DP-X1 for about a year that I'm going to pass down to my son.  But having both at once means I've been able to go back and forth quickly between the two with the same IEMs never leaving my ears.  I can say definitively that the X1A is a step up sonically.  The most obvious differences to my ears are: (1) more dynamic--hard drum hits jump out more and (2) fuller bass.  The first seems likely to translate to any set of iems or cans.  The latter might be unique to my IEMS (Campfire Jupiter and Dorado), but I doubt it.  It is enough of a difference to make everyone go out and replace their DP-X1?  No, it's not night and day, more like dawn and mid-morning.  But if you don't have a X1 and wonder if you should wait for the X1A to come to the US?  Wait.  You'll be pleased you did.

And just to lay to rest any concerns, the balanced jack is very tight and I can't move either jack around.

Thanks for your review!

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #13,706 of 16,326

Thank you very much.  I have been wanting a DPX1A for some time.  This makes me feel that I am making the right decision waiting for the A.  Great write up and comparison.    This is exactly what a lot of us were wondering about here.

Cheers

Riley

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #13,707 of 16,326

​i downloaded a voice recording app, it worked perfectly!

Feb 9, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #13,708 of 16,326
I finally got a balanced cable (Fiio Rc-SE1B) very nice for the price but so far it is working beautiful only on non OEM music player I get much higher volume so l can tell both amp are working also no background noise but what should I trigger to have it working on Onkyo for player? Output audio route say Balanced!

Feb 9, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #13,709 of 16,326

Thanks... but to my disappointment, the unit is now completely not responding. I came back to it this morning after leaving it to charge.

Blank screen. That's all I get.

Tried pressing and holding down the power button for 20 to 30secs. Nothing.

Tried pressing and holding down (power + forward) button 20-30secs. Nothing.

Can't even get the screen to flicker. Pffftttt...

What happened before your unit android failed to load ? was it due to battery going flat ? or you tried to root ?

Feb 9, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #13,710 of 16,326

When i want to go balanced i have to use 2.5 surfcable balanced for He400i and Edition X
but even this the Onkyo volume is way far from the DFR output...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this already... Seeing that you are from Italy, your unit probably has the volume cap that artificially lowers max output like all Euro units. To get around this, Onkyo has a variable line-out mode in settings that will restore the max output of other regions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back