ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 23, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #13,171 of 16,326
Good luck - let us know your experience. I'm sort of regretting spending £200 on balanced cables for my 400s's and AKG 702's:thinking:

Thanks. Just ordered a Balanced cable from this site:

http://tritonaudiocables.com/Removable-Headphone-Cables_c_8.html

$69 shipped (I am in US). Cheapest one I have seen.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #13,172 of 16,326
I've never had any battery issues on my DP-X1 either.

I'll note that this Riley person posts incessantly about the minutiae, which has been discussed ad-nauseam. I suggests he just bite the bullet....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Riley is just nervous about buying the wrong DAP. There is a lot of questions but hopefully he'll make his mind up.

Riley, ive seen you post in many threads and I truly think this is the best one for you. The others are buggy DX200 and X5iii. I was thinking of selling my DP-X1 and getting the X5iii but it seems like Fiio has got a bit of work to do yet. The Onkyo might not be the best sounding DAP (still sounds awesome) but definitely checks ALL of the boxes.

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #13,173 of 16,326
Riley is just nervous about buying the wrong DAP. There is a lot of questions but hopefully he'll make his mind up.

Riley, ive seen you post in many threads and I truly think this is the best one for you. The others are buggy DX200 and X5iii. I was thinking of selling my DP-X1 and getting the X5iii but it seems like Fiio has got a bit of work to do yet. The Onkyo might not be the best sounding DAP (still sounds awesome) but definitely checks ALL of the boxes.

Okay.  I will calm down about it and get a DPX1 when funds are available.  Thank you howdy for being so nice and understanding.  Thank you for sticking up for me too.  I greatly appreciate your help.   You are right that I am nervous about buying a dap especially spending that much cash.  It is a pretty big purchase for me.

Thanks buddy

Riley

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #13,174 of 16,326
Sorry to break the news the Jack issue on the DP-x1 a has not been fixed this my second unit in a week getting the same defect out of the box both Jack Are moving on the circuit board not sure. if I should go with a third one of forget the whole thing.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #13,175 of 16,326

Okay.  I will calm down about it and get a DPX1 when funds are available.  Thank you howdy for being so nice and understanding.  Thank you for sticking up for me too.  I greatly appreciate your help.   You are right that I am nervous about buying a dap especially spending that much cash.  It is a pretty big purchase for me.

Thanks buddy

Riley

don't worry.. i was nervous too before ended up buying X1A. i can only say, the previous poster is right.It might not be the all, be all and end-all in terms of sounds profile, but onkyo do tick all requirements that i need. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #13,176 of 16,326

don't worry.. i was nervous too before ended up buying X1A. i can only say, the previous poster is right.It might not be the all, be all and end-all in terms of sounds profile, but onkyo do tick all requirements that i need. 

Okay.  Thank you very much for the reassurance.  Sorry if I have annoyed anyone.  I didn't mean to annoy I was only looking for answers to my questions.

Thank you for putting up with me

Riley

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:11 AM Post #13,178 of 16,326
I've had my DP-1X for about a week and a half, bought at a brick and mortar shop in Toronto. I don't see any issues with build quality, no loose jacks. I've added a 200GB SanDisk ultra and not had any problems with recognizing the card or with transferring files on to the card via drag and drop with the DAP connected to my Desktop PC.

I've not had any complaints with Android performance on the DAP although I don't try to do anything exotic with the software either. I guess I'd say that the software handles the basics very well for me and beyond the basics I couldn't say.

I haven't pushed the battery so I can't give a number as to how many hours I'm getting but so far the battery performance seems reasonable.

I bought my DP-X1 at the same time as my easily driven Beyerdynamic T5p.2 Headphones (single ended and with aftermarket ear pads) specifically to be used together away from home. I imagine that a way more expensive set of Utopias or MDR-Z1Rs  paired to a high end DAC/AMP will have a better sound quality but I can also say for certain that the sound quality of the Onkyo/Beyer setup is Much better than an iPod and some Beats, so maybe not elite sound quality but definitely way better than what most people are using.

My only minor disappointment with the DP-X1 is that the wifi antenna seems to be a bit weak. I will get weaker wifi reception in parts of my basement where my 5 year old cell phone and 3 year old Nexus 7 Tablet have no trouble maintaining a solid connection, to the point that the wifi does drop out some times. Sitting on the first floor of the house (my router is in the living room) or at a Starbucks there is no issue with wifi reception.

I'm streaming Google Play music as I believe they have a larger catalog currently than Tidal and I believe they sound better than Spotify. Google Music/DP-X1/T5p.2 suits my needs pretty much perfectly and sounds pretty damn good to me, especially considering the portability.

Other than occasionally loosing the WiFi signal in my basement I'm overall very happy with the DP-X1. It's at least as nice a device if not more so than I would have expected for what I paid.

I had considered waiting on the DP-X1A but my phones are driven easily enough and there is already more than enough storage available that I wasn't sure that waiting for the new iteration was going to make much difference for me.

Cheers,
-Bill

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #13,179 of 16,326
I've had my DP-1X for about a week and a half, bought at a brick and mortar shop in Toronto. I don't see any issues with build quality, no loose jacks. I've added a 200GB SanDisk ultra and not had any problems with recognizing the card or with transferring files on to the card via drag and drop with the DAP connected to my Desktop PC.

I've not had any complaints with Android performance on the DAP although I don't try to do anything exotic with the software either. I guess I'd say that the software handles the basics very well for me and beyond the basics I couldn't say.

I haven't pushed the battery so I can't give a number as to how many hours I'm getting but so far the battery performance seems reasonable.

I bought my DP-X1 at the same time as my easily driven Beyerdynamic T5p.2 Headphones (single ended and with aftermarket ear pads) specifically to be used together away from home. I imagine that a way more expensive set of Utopias or MDR-Z1Rs  paired to a high end DAC/AMP will have a better sound quality but I can also say for certain that the sound quality of the Onkyo/Beyer setup is Much better than an iPod and some Beats, so maybe not elite sound quality but definitely way better than what most people are using.

My only minor disappointment with the DP-X1 is that the wifi antenna seems to be a bit weak. I will get weaker wifi reception in parts of my basement where my 5 year old cell phone and 3 year old Nexus 7 Tablet have no trouble maintaining a solid connection, to the point that the wifi does drop out some times. Sitting on the first floor of the house (my router is in the living room) or at a Starbucks there is no issue with wifi reception.

I'm streaming Google Play music as I believe they have a larger catalog currently than Tidal and I believe they sound better than Spotify. Google Music/DP-X1/T5p.2 suits my needs pretty much perfectly and sounds pretty damn good to me, especially considering the portability.

Other than occasionally loosing the WiFi signal in my basement I'm overall very happy with the DP-X1. It's at least as nice a device if not more so than I would have expected for what I paid.

I had considered waiting on the DP-X1A but my phones are driven easily enough and there is already more than enough storage available that I wasn't sure that waiting for the new iteration was going to make much difference for me.

Cheers,
-Bill

If you want good quality music, then you would want Tidal Hifi tier. Get the free one-month trial and see. It is expensive but well worth it, especially if using Roon.

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #13,180 of 16,326
If you want good quality music, then you would want Tidal Hifi tier. Get the free one-month trial and see. It is expensive but well worth it, especially if using Roon.

For the music that I really want, I just track down and buy Flacs either from the artist's own sites (like Dave Mathews Band and Bonobo) or general sites like 7Digital or HDTracks. If I don't mind buying the whole album I have been to Tidal. The trade off between Google Play's 320k mp3s vs Tidal's Flacs is worth it to me as the Tidal Flac subscription would cost an extra $10 a month for a smaller library. (For instance I don't think Tidal has Any Dave Mathews Band and much less Rolling Stones among others). The sound quality between Flac vs. 320 to my ear isn't worth the extra cash and more importantly, smaller library. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #13,181 of 16,326

Cheers,
-Bill

Try a lower number wifi channel it may help. Mine is on channel 10.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #13,183 of 16,326

For the music that I really want, I just track down and buy Flacs either from the artist's own sites (like Dave Mathews Band and Bonobo) or general sites like 7Digital or HDTracks. If I don't mind buying the whole album I have been to Tidal. The trade off between Google Play's 320k mp3s vs Tidal's Flacs is worth it to me as the Tidal Flac subscription would cost an extra $10 a month for a smaller library. (For instance I don't think Tidal has Any Dave Mathews Band and much less Rolling Stones among others). The sound quality between Flac vs. 320 to my ear isn't worth the extra cash and more importantly, smaller library. 

It seems like you have it all figured out. The vast majority of people agree with your statement that there is no benefit on sound quality between FLAC on Tidal HiFi Tier and the 320 you get with Google Play Music, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. The subscription numbers speak for themselves. To me, the $10 extra per month is worth it. To majority of people (including you) is not. That's what makes a market.

The good thing with Tidal is the free trial. I am still on trial for the HiFi tier, a three month trial that I got through a partner offer. I love it! Especially with its integration with Roon. Plenty of time to figure out if it is worth it or not. I still have Google Play, but most likely I will cancel it, and keep Tidal HiFi.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #13,184 of 16,326

It seems like you have it all figured out. The vast majority of people agree with your statement that there is no benefit on sound quality between FLAC on Tidal HiFi Tier and the 320 you get with Google Play Music, Apple Music, Spotify, etc. The subscription numbers speak for themselves. To me, the $10 extra per month is worth it. To majority of people (including you) is not. That's what makes a market.

The good thing with Tidal is the free trial. I am still on trial for the HiFi tier, a three month trial that I got through a partner offer. I love it! Especially with its integration with Roon. Plenty of time to figure out if it is worth it or not. I still have Google Play, but most likely I will cancel it, and keep Tidal HiFi.

Ha, I'm actually on the Google Play free trial for another 7 weeks which maybe I ought to have mentioned. I confess to not be familiar with Roon so maybe you give me to much credit in suggesting I have things sorted ( 
smile.gif
 ). I'll it out and I do have the Tidal free trial in mind. To me it's really about Library Size as opposed to Flac or 320. I have my fingers slightly crossed (apologies to HD Tracks and 7Digital etc.) that the success of Tidal will encourage Google Play to move their larger library to Flac. Thanks for the feedback.

*I'm pretty sure that I've been blessed with the gift of slightly below average hearing, which may help to explain my ambivalence between 320 and Flac, at least saving me that $10 a month.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #13,185 of 16,326

Ha, I'm actually on the Google Play free trial for another 7 weeks which maybe I ought to have mentioned. I confess to not be familiar with Roon so maybe you give me to much credit in suggesting I have things sorted ( 
smile.gif
 ). I'll it out and I do have the Tidal free trial in mind. To me it's really about Library Size as opposed to Flac or 320. I have my fingers slightly crossed (apologies to HD Tracks and 7Digital etc.) that the success of Tidal will encourage Google Play to move their larger library to Flac. Thanks for the feedback.

*I'm pretty sure that I've been blessed with the gift of slightly below average hearing, which may help to explain my ambivalence between 320 and Flac, at least saving me that $10 a month.

Me too. I got six months of Google Play with my purchase of Google Home during the Holidays. I used to have Apple Music (MOG first, then Beats Music), which I canceled. I have had Rdio before too. Look up Roon. Tidal + Roon is a "match made in heaven"!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back