ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 20, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #13,097 of 16,326
Opus #1 edge out the Onkyo anytime. In fact, it sounds a bit like AK240.
Compared to high end DAPs, Onkyo sounds too artificial and digital.

The Opus #1, while undoubtedly possessing outstanding SQ, is not necessarily the better of the DP-X1 in UI and certain features that many people value (examples: using my playlists, searches).

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #13,098 of 16,326

I can't even go to home screen an settings menu if I can't remember my password.
so the last chance is download the latest fw, can you give me that link? and what's the next moves?
thanks

Enter recovery by holding forward and power buttons when the unit is powered off.

You'll see a linux penguin logo when you have held it for about 3-4 seconds. Let go of both buttons and let recovery menu boot.

From the menu, use the forward/previous buttons to go up/down. Play button to select the option highlighted.

You'll want to use the wipe data/factory reset option.

thanks, already solved :D

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #13,103 of 16,326
The moment has finally come - and I was able to listen to Campfire Andromeda and Focal Utopia for hours on DP-X1A, DP-X1A + mojo, NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z.

Good news: Andromedas don't hiss on DP-X1A (JP version), not even on HIGH gain. Nice.
Bad news: Both headphones amplified DP-X1A's imperfections, mojo and both Sony's sound more natural than Onkyo. The DP-X1A has maybe a tad better resolution than mojo (fact that had me keeping them both for a while), but both walkmans trump them on all fronts. Hmm - on cheaper cans I was much more satisfied with the DP-X1A. :)
Result: Returning my DP-X1A and selling my mojo. :) Selling all my lesser cans and iems also. Saving up for Utopia+NW-WM1A combo (or NW-WM1Z?:)).

Once you hear something this good - everything else or less just feels like a waste of time (and your ears).
That is - until something even better comes out. :wink:

Jan 21, 2017 at 1:53 AM Post #13,104 of 16,326
The moment has finally come - and I was able to listen to Campfire Andromeda and Focal Utopia for hours on DP-X1A, DP-X1A + mojo, NW-WM1A and NW-WM1Z.

Good news: Andromedas don't hiss on DP-X1A (JP version), not even on HIGH gain. Nice.
Bad news: Both headphones amplified DP-X1A's imperfections, mojo and both Sony's sound more natural than Onkyo. The DP-X1A has maybe a tad better resolution than mojo (fact that had me keeping them both for a while), but both walkmans trump them on all fronts. Hmm - on cheaper cans I was much more satisfied with the DP-X1A. :)
Result: Returning my DP-X1A and selling my mojo. :) Selling all my lesser cans and iems also. Saving up for Utopia+NW-WM1A combo (or NW-WM1Z?:)).

Once you hear something this good - everything else or less just feels like a waste of time (and your ears).
That is - until something even better comes out. :wink:

Thanks for review! Just one factor, tidal has endless source I won't go back to CD ripping.

Jan 21, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #13,105 of 16,326
Thanks for review! Just one factor, tidal has endless source I won't go back to CD ripping.

Thanks @addyg - you're right about Tidal. It won't work on the Walkmans. Neither will Youtube.

However once you know in detail the artificial flavor that the DP-X1A adds to any music - you start to hear it all the time. I was warned. A guy who has lent me the NW-WM1Z + Utopia mentioned that DP-X1A sounds pretty hollow, the sound of some instruments doesn't have body and substance, some frequencies of vocals are completely vacuumed out, and good rustles and sizzles in the recording get either filtered / suppressed or distorted (which is a problem for meditation music). The Andros showed all this pretty clearly - and Utopias just confirmed it. Later I could clearly hear all the flaws even on my cheaper cans. :)

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #13,107 of 16,326
Thanks @addyg
- you're right about Tidal. It won't work on the Walkmans. Neither will Youtube.

However once you know in detail the artificial flavor that and the DP-X1A adds to any music - you start to hear it all the time. I was warned. A guy who has lent me the NW-WM1Z + Utopia mentioned that DP-X1A sounds pretty hollow, the sound of some instruments doesn't have body and substance, some frequencies of vocals are completely vacuumed out, and good rustles and sizzles in the recording get either filtered / suppressed or distorted (which is a problem for meditation music). The Andros showed all this pretty clearly - and Utopias just confirmed it. Later I could clearly hear all the flaws even on my cheaper cans. :)

Yeah, many using iems of less revealing nature does not hear the artificial sounding and hollow of the Onkyo dap. I can say Onkyo not in the same league as Sony WM1A, Opus #1 and AK240.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #13,108 of 16,326
I am thinking if Sony can offer an Android player and better SQ than dp-x1a then it will matter.

Now Sony has a non-wifi player and you have much less music source unless you keep ripping the CD.

Usefulness is a matter to most Android player buyers.

Jan 21, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #13,109 of 16,326
I stated very early that if SQ is the only thing that matters and you have two times (actually 2.5 times) the fund. Go for Sony wm1a.

Headfi is an endless game. E.g. if use your dap + desktop tube amplifier to drive a good headphone you can achieve another level of SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back