ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jan 11, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #12,946 of 16,326
Strange, haven't seen any reports here of the new dap Onkyo was showing at ces. I didn't get hands on and no pictures. But here's what I know.

It was a prototype
Dual ess dac
Single and balanced
No full android like DP-X1, but will support limited apps like Tidal
Should be much much cheaper than dp-x1

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #12,947 of 16,326
I was thinking of getting one of these and two 200 GB cards.  I know these are probably answered in this thread somewhere but it's 900 pages!

I'm just mostly wondering how this is for usability.  Can you shuffle all music from TIDAL offline and my own iTunes files over both cards and internal memory etc..  I mostly will build a playlist up in TIDAL then transfer to my iPhone to play back.  I would do mostly the same with the DP-X1 but would also want to include many albums from my iTunes collection.  Is it easy to just drag files right from iTunes to the DP X1?  I was going to order one from B&H so I can return it if it's a problem to use.  I am pretty sure I will be happy with the sound just the overall functionality of it is what I am mostly wondering about.  If it worked as good as an iPod as far as function goes I would be happy.  

Thanks, Ryan 

I used tidal all the time on dpx1 and my htc m9. Don't see any problem. For file transfer you don't even need a computer. The google drive can do it. Or more simple pull out the SD card.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #12,948 of 16,326
Strange, haven't seen any reports here of the new dap Onkyo was showing at ces. I didn't get hands on and no pictures. But here's what I know.

It was a prototype
Dual ess dac
Single and balanced

I don't think it will be much cheaper but just a smaller form factor for people to choose.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #12,949 of 16,326
I don't think it will be much cheaper but just a smaller form factor for people to choose.

Not sure where you got your info from, but the Onkyo rep told me it would be much cheaper.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #12,950 of 16,326
@MontMozart
I will try this on the DPX1 next weekend. If I get this thing playing hires audio at least for 8 hours I'm happy...

@DBaldock9
​The setting under "sound & notification --> output select" is OFF.
I don't use DSP functions on hires files (flac, tidal hi-fi downloaded etc), but I use EQ functions on some selected albums. However I would expect an audio player not to drain the battery so fast due to EQ functions? Using the EQ on the iBasso I've never noticed any impact on the battery.

Jan 11, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #12,951 of 16,326

It was a prototype
Dual ess dac
Single and balanced

​seems legit, considering the dp-x1a is selling for about 500 new,

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #12,952 of 16,326
Been using X1A for almost 3 weeks continously now. I'm very amazed by its sound! Like i say, i'm not audiophile, and i own V20. At first, after getting X1A,  i was thinking if this could be a mistake and redundant purchase, but now after hearing X1A for that long, and coming back to V20, i could say, yes, i can hear the differences. I'm keeping my X1A.

Battery-wise, yes, its battery kinda sad when wifi is turned on..but by turning off wifi & blue-tooth when not needed, i can make it last on standby for more than 3 days.

Jan 11, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #12,953 of 16,326
had my Dpx1 since November... paired it with se846..... i just cant get enough of it....Sounds great..... nothing really to compare it to but my old gen 1 ipod touch and it definitely sounds way better..... ipod seems to sound harsh the DPX1 you never get tired of listening to even for long periods of time....   still waiting on my balaced cables from plussound..... expecting to hear improvements there as well ..... fingers crossed...

Jan 12, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #12,954 of 16,326
  Been using X1A for almost 3 weeks continously now. I'm very amazed by its sound! Like i say, i'm not audiophile, and i own V20. At first, after getting X1A,  i was thinking if this could be a mistake and redundant purchase, but now after hearing X1A for that long, and coming back to V20, i could say, yes, i can hear the differences. I'm keeping my X1A.

Battery-wise, yes, its battery kinda sad when wifi is turned on..but by turning off wifi & blue-tooth when not needed, i can make it last on standby for more than 3 days.

There must be a reason why dp-x1 (now dp-x1a is on top#1 of selling in Japan's biggest earphone chain store).

Jan 12, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #12,957 of 16,326
The new Pioneer dual DAC have better SQ compared to the Onkyo?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back