ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Dec 25, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #12,693 of 16,328

i'm also using win10 64bit , in my case, when the DP-X1 is in the fastboot mode (penguin screen) my pc only detects it as "Android" in the device manager with yellow exclamation beside it. maybe you could try with different PC and see if it could detect the DP-X1 in the fastboot mode, good luck

Same here, want to try it over xmas. W10 64bit and same behaviour, but on w7 64bit (older pc) too

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #12,695 of 16,328

I listened for some time to my new Onkyo DP-X1A, Chord Mojo (transport from iPhone 6s and DP-X1A) and colleague's Sony NW-WM1A. I must say that in terms of pure sound quality - the Sony NW-WM1A wins hands down. Don't get me wrong, I love my new DP-X1A, but even in comparison to the Mojo its music is very polite, with somewhat distilled punch/drive/emotion, as my colleague said "without balls". In terms of punch/drive/emotion the DP-X1A is the worst of the bunch, with the Mojo being much better and the NW-WM1A even slightly surpassing the Mojo (kudos Sony!).

I'm glad I got the Mojo - since the Sony can't play YouTube music videos - the Onkyo can and paired with the Mojo it's very close in sound quality to the Sony. 2 devices though. :frowning2:

thanks, man ... with what headphones you made the comparison ?

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #12,696 of 16,328

thanks a lot ... great to know that 
beerchug.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #12,697 of 16,328
@lazner ... you may leave your DPX-1A on playback for sometime may its sound become better ... as many reported that the WM-1A sounds even better after the stated burning in period and some reported that it continue to change even in 400h of burniing in ... as my RSA predator which i own and still love so much needed a huge time of burning in and takes more than 600 h to sound its best !!!  even my walkman changed in about 200h or so to sound more musical and warmer than its out of the box ( was dry and lack the sense of lifeness .. kinda reminds me of the sound sig of an ipod ! ) ... so you can try you wont loose any thing 
smile_phones.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #12,701 of 16,328
Usually for a Sabre chip(s) you should find the IEM/phones which match with its signature. I personally find the ES3 as a very good match.
On the other hand the ER4SR get brighter with the Pioneer - and they will get a new cable and Burr-Brown DAC/AMP soon.
From my experience it's much easier to find a proper match for both AKM and Burr-Brown than for the ESS based source.   

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #12,702 of 16,328

Same here, want to try it over xmas. W10 64bit and same behaviour, but on w7 64bit (older pc) too

Find an older PC with Win7-32 and tried generic drivers too, changed cables, but that did not help.

So I choosed another route and installed Kingroot.

Then I used flashify for installingTtwrp und after that installed the custom Rom via Twrp, success.

Because I do not really like Kingroot I deinstalled it and lose root, but kept Twrp.

After rebooting into Twrp and reinstalling the prerooted ROM I now have SuperSu installed and verified it with installing Busybox pro.

Now I can play arround a little bit more over xmas
smile.gif

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #12,704 of 16,328
  thanks, man ... with what headphones you made the comparison ?

I was listening through these cans: B&W P7, AKG K7xx, Grado GH1, Beyerdynamic T1.2 and Sony MDR-Z1R and these IEMs: JVC HA-FX1100, Onkyo E700M, Sony MDR-EX750AP and Shure SE535. The overall "polite" musical expression of my Onkyo DP-X1A compared to the Mojo and Sony NW-WM1A was absolutely clear with all these.

As one would expect the Sony played really well with MDR-Z1R and T1.2. The Onkyo really shines for some reason with the "wooden" models HA-FX1100 and GH1.

I want to hear Campfire Andromeda and see how they pair with my pocket clinician DP-X1A. :) Anyone knows if Andromeda + DP-X1/A is a good match?

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #12,705 of 16,328
  @lazner ... you may leave your DPX-1A on playback for sometime may its sound become better ... as many reported that the WM-1A sounds even better after the stated burning in period and some reported that it continue to change even in 400h of burniing in ... as my RSA predator which i own and still love so much needed a huge time of burning in and takes more than 600 h to sound its best !!!  even my walkman changed in about 200h or so to sound more musical and warmer than its out of the box ( was dry and lack the sense of lifeness .. kinda reminds me of the sound sig of an ipod ! ) ... so you can try you wont loose any thing 
smile_phones.gif

sure - will give it a try... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back