ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Sep 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #11,401 of 16,326
Not necessarily. I bought from Amazon (US) from an authorized us dealer just two weeks ago. I got an European version (had volume limiter and said on box Europe) with both jacks VERY wobbly. I even contacted seller before ordering asking if it was a new batch/version. They said they just got them at the end of August so it should be. Needless to say I returned it for a full refund and ended up getting the AR-M20.

This is why I paid more and bought right from Onkyo on Amazon, shipping was still fairly quick.

Sep 18, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #11,402 of 16,326
I don't believe in balanced providing better sound quality. It's all about the implementation.

The problem with the Onkyo, however, is that single ended output is just so bad. I don't know if it's the way the DAC is implemented on single ended (some say only a single dac is engaged which doesn't make sense to me because it's really just more work for Onkyo), the sound is deliberately crippled single ended with some software design, or the single ended amp section just sucks period. The difference is stunningly big.

I personally found the active ground control mode to be better than the balanced mode too.

With most other daps, I found the single ended and balanced outputs to be pretty similar, balanced edges out a tad at most, but with the Onkyo it's a totally different story.

I have no balanced cable and am restricted to SE until I get one. I don't think it sounds bad at all.

Sep 18, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #11,403 of 16,326
I find it ridiculous borderline outrageous that they charge that much for a revision DP-X1. When Fiio upgrades their existing line-up it's done at the same price, shops add like 10-25$€.
32gb to 64gb is peanuts in Q3 2016 come on!
Headphone output jacks are now more rugged on the DP-X1a woopty doo. The rest of us DP-X1 users...? Sell in fear of an impending deteriorating Jack that would ruin the resell value?

Any updates from pricejapan regarding faulty DP-X1? If Kaneda-san or his colleague would honor local warranty, I'd hope to get mine fixed or offered a trade in upgrade (I'd be ok paying the difference I guess). I'd resell the DP-X1a soon after though. I'm not happy how Onkyo feigned owning up to this responsibly IMHO.

Sorry if I come across bitter. DP-X1 is otherwise a great DAP.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #11,405 of 16,326
  How good are my chances to get a U.S version that has no problems if I buy from Onkyo on Amazon exactly? 

You could always buy from moon audio and ask them to inspect the item, no one knows your chances you were asking about, but at least you would have full warranty through Onkyo usa.

Sep 18, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #11,406 of 16,326
  You could always buy from moon audio and ask them to inspect the item, no one knows your chances you were asking about, but at least you would have full warranty through Onkyo usa.

I emailed and called Moon Audio.  They said they can't tell me as their stock changes too often.  They were pretty rude.  The said they will not accept a return or exchange if the unit has problems and their is nothing they can do about that.  They said I would have to deal with Onkyo directly.  I am not confident buying from them and I don't have a credit card to order anyway.  Buy from Onkyo on Amazon is my best bet?

Sep 18, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #11,408 of 16,326

I emailed and called Moon Audio.  They said they can't tell me as their stock changes too often.  They were pretty rude.  The said they will not accept a return or exchange if the unit has problems and their is nothing they can do about that.  They said I would have to deal with Onkyo directly.  I am not confident buying from them and I don't have a credit card to order anyway.  Buy from Onkyo on Amazon is my best bet?

That really suprises me as they told me quite a different story. They are only about two hours from where i am at in Nc and told me they would cover it if there was a problem, but all theirs are the new run and they have not seen any problems. With your choices onkyo on amazon would be a good choice or any amazon with prime as they have a good return polocy and everything should be covered under onkyo usa warranty as purchased in the us.

Sep 18, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #11,409 of 16,326
thank you everyone who chimed in regarding the issue i was having playing Spotify while pairing my Onkyo with my WA8. your suggestions worked. thank you once again :)

Sep 19, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #11,410 of 16,326
I finally got that glass screen protector -  perfect fit http://i.imgur.com/vS35ouM.jpg

for those interested http://www.ebay.com/itm/191937104935  - i personally hate plastic ones... they never attach and always have bubbles., this one is crazy, you just drop it and gently press in the middle and it just attaches itself.. looks cool too.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #11,413 of 16,326
If you are worried about whether you are getting the version with fixed jack or old version on Amazon, just use Amazon's built-in buyer-seller messaging system and make sure the seller tells you explicitly that it is the version with fixed jack. If anything goes wrong, return the item to Amazon with free return shipping because the item was not as described by seller, and if Amazon ever tries to take action against your account for excessive returns or suspected fraud, refer them to your buyer-seller message. The message will also make it more likely that Amazon and your credit card company will allow for refund past their usual date for possible refund, which you might need if you find out you got the older version but keep it and it starts falling apart later.

When buying at another website, use e-mail as proof in case you need to do a Paypal/credit card chargeback.

Wherever you buy from, such an expensive item should always be paid with credit card, and if available, paypal. Paypal protection is poop, but can be used in conjunction with credit card for two different kinds of protection. But please don't get any ideas about scamming from what I'm saying. Retailers and credit card companies do keep track of excessive returns/suspected fraud and can eventually blacklist you (I can't imagine life without Amazon :p), and scamming contributes to jacked up prices to make up for losses.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #11,414 of 16,326

I found them to be rude also.  I would avoid dealing with them again.  They don't offer any good deals and rude service and no support for what they sell why shop there.  I'd get it at B&H photo/video. I've bought lots of stuff from these guys and they are great and if there is a deal possible you will usually get it from them.  Some items like this must have a MAP price so no deal.  

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #11,415 of 16,326
  I found them to be rude also.  I would avoid dealing with them again.  They don't offer any good deals and rude service and no support for what they sell why shop there.  I'd get it at B&H photo/video. I've bought lots of stuff from these guys and they are great and if there is a deal possible you will usually get it from them.  Some items like this must have a MAP price so no deal.  

I would consider B&H, but I do not have a credit card or debit card so I must pay with gift cards.  It seems like Onkyo on Amazon is my best bet.  Moon Audio's service is terrible.  I will not be spending my hard earned limited funds there even if I have to pay a little more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back