ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 30, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #11,056 of 16,328
  Because it voids the warranty. The issues I am seeing on here are really pushing me towards the pioneer. Between the battery issues and the jacks, it has me really worried.

I doubt they would even notice the fix if it was sent in for warranty work. The only warranty work I have heard of being done is for the battery, they wouldn't look at the jack; or there is warranty work for the jack, but if the fix was done the jack wouldn't fail so no warranty work needed anyway. I think warranty is a little bit of a red herring, not likely to be a factor. Yes, it may be a factor, highly unlikely, but the jack issue has proven to be a modest concern. Anyway, personal choice, but my point was simply that if somebody really wanted to try this device, to let the jack issue be a barrier is a choice, but not an absolute.

Aug 30, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #11,057 of 16,328
I can't understand why you would pay so much for a DAP that you don't think has top SQ as a stand alone. Carting a stack around is ridiculous IMHO.

It's like everything in life, we are not all the same. We all have different tastes, needs and requirements

The Mojo appeared on the scene before the DX-P1 so there is a chance many may have already owned their Mojo before purchasing the DP-X1
Those same people may have wanted to move away from a stack, but after a while felt that the sound especially SE did not match their expectations or experience from the Mojo
Others may have wanted the dual micro SD card slot, or the MQA playback available via the DX-P1, some didn't fancy getting the AK380 to stack with their Mojo

OR even wanting a DAP that when required could be used by itself or with a DAC as and when required

Some may just prefer the sound stage of the Mojo and would pair it with any DAP they owned.

You on the other hand may not
wink_face.gif

Aug 30, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #11,058 of 16,328
  I doubt they would even notice the fix if it was sent in for warranty work. The only warranty work I have heard of being done is for the battery, they wouldn't look at the jack; or there is warranty work for the jack, but if the fix was done the jack wouldn't fail so no warranty work needed anyway. I think warranty is a little bit of a red herring, not likely to be a factor. Yes, it may be a factor, highly unlikely, but the jack issue has proven to be a modest concern. Anyway, personal choice, but my point was simply that if somebody really wanted to try this device, to let the jack issue be a barrier is a choice, but not an absolute.

Its understandable. I am really on the fence about this device vs the Pioneer. The two things are the battery and the jacks holding me up, well plus the cost from US vs Japan.  I currently am running an ipod classic stacked with an amp and find it a bit bland anymore. I want to get away from a stack and enjoy the music more. I will be running iem's mostly. A few pairs of customs, and a few pairs of universals that i do reviews on such as the q's and nebula 2 I am working on right now. Balanced might be an option in the future if I would benefit from it, but I am not sure, and I am not sure how the pioneer sounds different from the Onkyo. Whether one sounds warmer over the other and such. Just wish I was able to audition them. but no chance of that. I have thought about purchasing both and selling one, but that is expensive and would loose money.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #11,060 of 16,328
Its understandable. I am really on the fence about this device vs the Pioneer. The two things are the battery and the jacks holding me up, well plus the cost from US vs Japan.  I currently am running an ipod classic stacked with an amp and find it a bit bland anymore. I want to get away from a stack and enjoy the music more. I will be running iem's mostly. A few pairs of customs, and a few pairs of universals that i do reviews on such as the q's and nebula 2 I am working on right now. Balanced might be an option in the future if I would benefit from it, but I am not sure, and I am not sure how the pioneer sounds different from the Onkyo. Whether one sounds warmer over the other and such. Just wish I was able to audition them. but no chance of that. I have thought about purchasing both and selling one, but that is expensive and would loose money.

If you buy mail order you would be able to return it under distance selling rights.
I have seen places offer a months return on the Pioneer. I don't know how legit that is.
You may be able to find a friendly dealer who has a loner. Worth asking around.
Regarding this "fix" the problem that I saw at CanJam was with the internals of the jack socket. Glue is not going to fix that.
As to "not noticing". Glueing the sockets may inhibit opening it up. I am sure that Pioneer engineers know their product
They wil notice. Whether they are bothered is another question.
Personally I would not drop £500+ on a player with known issues. I am also not interested in an expensive transport.
As said everyone is different.

Aug 31, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #11,061 of 16,328
If you buy mail order you would be able to return it under distance selling rights.
I have seen places offer a months return on the Pioneer. I don't know how legit that is.
You may be able to find a friendly dealer who has a loner. Worth asking around.
Regarding this "fix" the problem that I saw at CanJam was with the internals of the jack socket. Glue is not going to fix that.
As to "not noticing". Glueing the sockets may inhibit opening it up. I am sure that Pioneer engineers know their product
They wil notice. Whether they are bothered is another question.
Personally I would not drop £500+ on a player with known issues. I am also not interested in an expensive transport.
As said everyone is different.

I also am not interested in an expensive transport. I could just keep my ipod and run a different amp or use my galaxy s7 with a 200gb card and a mojo if i were wanting a stack. Just want a single dap. You are leaning towards the pioneer as well correct?

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #11,065 of 16,328
I also am not interested in an expensive transport. I could just keep my ipod and run a different amp or use my galaxy s7 with a 200gb card and a mojo if i were wanting a stack. Just want a single dap. You are leaning towards the pioneer as well correct?

Yes. But I really want to hear it first. It has to beat the iPhone which so far no DAP I have heard has done. For me.

Aug 31, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #11,066 of 16,328
  And it's dangerous for the amp!!!! you can burn the balanced jack and your Dp-X1
basshead.gif

ooohhhhh k :) 
can anyone reccomend a good splitter ? to use on the SE output only, so we both can listen ? or is this too not reccomended ?
I know iv'e done it in the past with other players and the sound quality gets worse due to I guess impedance issues with the headphones sharing.

Aug 31, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #11,067 of 16,328
  ooohhhhh k :) 
can anyone reccomend a good splitter ? to use on the SE output only, so we both can listen ? or is this too not reccomended ?
I know iv'e done it in the past with other players and the sound quality gets worse due to I guess impedance issues with the headphones sharing.

Not recommended. Splitter creates a parallel resistive path so the combined impedance of your 2 IEMs will be roughly half of the lower rated IEM. If your IEMs are identically spec'd then it will exactly 1/2 of the rated impedance of the single IEM. For example, 2 x 16 ohm IEMs in parallel create a single 8 ohm load. You would be approaching the sub optimal load per Onkyo's spec and usually that leads to bloated lows and overall muddy sound. There is a slight chance that the effect is actually good for your particular IEM but I wouldn't count on it. Electrically speaking, there is no harm in trying.

Aug 31, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #11,068 of 16,328
Like krismusic said, my own issue with the 3.5mm Jack is not related to a wobbly jack that can fall off. Mine just doesn't grip the TRS plug firmly.
Pricejapan being non responsive means I just have my 2.5mm to go by

Aug 31, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #11,069 of 16,328
Like krismusic said, my own issue with the 3.5mm Jack is not related to a wobbly jack that can fall off. Mine just doesn't grip the TRS plug firmly.
Pricejapan being non responsive means I just have my 2.5mm to go by

Not all plugs are the same. I had a 6.5mm adapter made for me and it doesn't fit snugly with every headphone, some fit so poorly the headphone cuts out. Today I tried my 800S and it didn't fit well, but my ONKYO A800 and MT220 fit perfectly as did my TH600. That tells you there can be some differences in the plugs so perhaps that explains at least some "bad" fits with the DP-X1.

Aug 31, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #11,070 of 16,328
Not all plugs are the same. I had a 6.5mm adapter made for me and it doesn't fit snugly with every headphone, some fit so poorly the headphone cuts out. Today I tried my 800S and it didn't fit well, but my ONKYO A800 and MT220 fit perfectly as did my TH600. That tells you there can be some differences in the plugs so perhaps that explains at least some "bad" fits with the DP-X1.
you're definitely right to also of course consider the plug factor too.
Tried 5 different 3.5mm Trs plugs, incl neutrik, oyaide, the stock noble one from savant, fiio ex-1, stock Empire ears one. They all ended up sliding out 1mm which cuts music by a mere 45° rotation of the barrel or even from the movement of the cable itself.
I don't even understand how this could've gone past QC/QA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back