ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 27, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #11,026 of 16,326
New unit received and the battery life is at least double the old unit! Very happy.

Seriously? Well that is awesome news, a little surprising given that you were getting ten hours of battery SE. So I assume you mean you are getting double the battery time balanced with the 400i?

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #11,028 of 16,326
Ive heard that this player has better battery life than the Pioneer brother is thus true ? I cant seem to find out.

I would think only as compared against running the DP-X1 in balanced mode as that will of course use two DAC chips and two amps. Otherwise I thought they used the same battery, but it has been a while since I looked. I guess if Pioneer did a better job with optimization or something it might also make a difference, but how much I'm not sure. If you are never going balanced the Pioneer I hear is supposed to be a great option. Hopefully others who know more will chime in. I sent you links to some OneDrive shares.

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #11,029 of 16,326
Hopefully by the first I have decided between this or this or the Pioneer. I was going to pick up the pioneer, then the seller bumped up the price from 495 to almost 579, so I passed.  If I had the balanced out I am sure I would spend the extra money on the cable for my westone es60, but not sure I would be able to tell a difference lol. Its constant back and forth on which player to get. I guess I will wait till after the first and see when I have the extra cash in hand and see what prices are on the bay. I just ordered my first 200gb micro sd card. Should be here Monday.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #11,030 of 16,326
  Seriously? Well that is awesome news, a little surprising given that you were getting ten hours of battery SE. So I assume you mean you are getting double the battery time balanced with the 400i?

Yes, that is correct. I haven't even disabled any apps either, just keeping the new device in airplane mode.

I was experiencing other weird battery issues (ie rapid draining, fully draining while turned off) in addition to only getting 3 hours on avg. in balanced mode with the 400i cans, so I'm not too surprised I'm seeing better battery times with the new device.

Aug 28, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #11,031 of 16,326

Plex can be set to do anything you want - including, most importantly, leave the source media the %^&* alone. Yes - Plex can serve up as-high a rez as you care to serve up. So can any other decently-build DLNA server. All you have to do it make sure to turn transcoding OFF, so that exactly what is in the source file is exactly what gets shipped to the player. Done. Easy.

That's not completely true.

For example, Plex does not recognize some Hi-Res formats, like DSD .dsf or  SACD .iso files. Those files simply won't appear in your Plex library, so even if your player like the DP-X1 does play .dsf you won't be able to see those files when using Plex. 

I've posted in the Plex forums requesting Hi-Res support, but making Plex Hi-Res compatible hasn't been a dev priority to date.

So bottom line: Plex is not a solution to my wanting to wirelessly transfer files from my Mac to the DP-X1. Does anyone else have a Droid NAS alternative pic that works with a Mac?

Aug 28, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #11,032 of 16,326

Yes, that is correct. I haven't even disabled any apps either, just keeping the new device in airplane mode.

I was experiencing other weird battery issues (ie rapid draining, fully draining while turned off) in addition to only getting 3 hours on avg. in balanced mode with the 400i cans, so I'm not too surprised I'm seeing better battery times with the new device.

I guess when looking at the totality of the issues you are talking about it should have been clear that it was indeed the battery (or some circuit paths) at fault. Glad it has been rectified. So, if you use the 400i SE for instance as opposed to balanced, how much difference in battery life do you find there is?

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #11,033 of 16,326
  I guess when looking at the totality of the issues you are talking about it should have been clear that it was indeed the battery (or some circuit paths) at fault. Glad it has been rectified. So, if you use the 400i SE for instance as opposed to balanced, how much difference in battery life do you find there is?

Haven't tested SE vs balanced on the 400i with the new device, and doing some extended traveling so won't be able to for about another month when I'll again have access to my to the 400i OEM cable. But I'm curious and will report back early Oct.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #11,035 of 16,326
Someone here will know :)
Just wondering about the balanced out .
Is there some kind of converter that lets you use balanced out on normal headphones and would there be any benifits. I know i heard of people using some kind of custom cable here.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #11,037 of 16,326
Someone here will know :)
Just wondering about the balanced out .
Is there some kind of converter that lets you use balanced out on normal headphones and would there be any benifits. I know i heard of people using some kind of custom cable here.

If you have removable cables, you can get 4 wire balanced terminated cables. You cannot and should not attempt to connect 3 wire (shared ground) single-ended headphone cables to the balanced output. Doing so could damage your DP-X1, and it would do nothing for you.

If you can remove your headphone cables and get a set of balanced cables for them, balanced output offers more power to better drive demanding headphones to higher volumes. It also offers common mode rejection, which should help with the perceived soundstage. Onkyo also offers an Active Control Ground mode which some people say provides more headroom and a better sense of spaciousness. I prefer standard balanced with my CIEMs, though. But it is there as an option.

If you don't have removable cables, you aren't going to benefit from balanced. The single ended output is also quite great.

Aug 29, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #11,038 of 16,326
I got the DP-X1 yesterday. I was listening this morning on balanaced mode, high gain, and it went down from 100% to 82% in an hour. Is this normal on Balanced mode?

High gain on balanced, especially at a higher volume level, will cause a lot of battery drain. That is about typical for my unit with those parameters. Using standard balanced on low gain and volume in the 8ps and 90s with my CIEMs, I get about 10% drain per hour.

Aug 29, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #11,039 of 16,326
Hi all, I have had my DP-X1 for a week, and was wondering if there is consensus over the correct settings. For example I have the following set
Digital filter settings: Sharp / Slow / Short,  -  I use Sharp most of the time
Lock Range Adjust: Wide / Normal / Narrow.  - I have not changed this setting
Upsampling I have set to ON.
Upsampling upper limit: I have set to 192khz as I do not us USB out.
USB Host Audio Driver is valid - unticked
DoP Pause Operaton - Stop output
Output DSD 3/6 Mhz via Dop - unticked
Real Time DSD Conversion - High Precision DSD 5.6 Mhz

Appreciate any assistance - thank you

Aug 29, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #11,040 of 16,326
  Hi all, I have had my DP-X1 for a week, and was wondering if there is consensus over the correct settings. For example I have the following set
Digital filter settings: Sharp / Slow / Short,  -  I use Sharp most of the time
Lock Range Adjust: Wide / Normal / Narrow.  - I have not changed this setting
Upsampling I have set to ON.
Upsampling upper limit: I have set to 192khz as I do not us USB out.
USB Host Audio Driver is valid - unticked
DoP Pause Operaton - Stop output
Output DSD 3/6 Mhz via Dop - unticked
Real Time DSD Conversion - High Precision DSD 5.6 Mhz

Appreciate any assistance - thank you

Digital filter settings: I use Slow to avoid fatigue (smoother on the high freq)
Lock Range Adjust: Normal is fine 
Upsampling: I set to OFF as I found it sound weird when set to on
The others are just settings for USB out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back