ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Aug 24, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #10,996 of 16,326
I wonder how you will feel when you hear those recordings presented so vividly? For me usually older recordings from the 70s sound very flat, sometimes still good, but rather sterile and two dimensional. That said, I'm not sure how much prog jazz, blues, funk n soul I really heard. Let us know once you do get the chance to experience the music through the DP-X1.

Progressive rock and fusion..once you get away from the famous over the top bands theres a wealth of beautiful music to be found from fiery solos to atmospheric passages with flutes to more agressive rocky sounds with many changes in the music. Often an album will have two or more long improvisational tracks then a few songs. Its being in the moment that exites me as a lot of the bands recorded live and sometimes im sure even they were outstanded by what they had done and wondered where it all came from lol

I do have a lot of surprisingly good sounding recordings from this era which ill share some time if wanted.
I find recordings from that time in general sound warm and modern stuff precice and a bit too clean at times. Often studios love to over compress music especial rock and dance. There are jazz and fusion recordings from the last few years that sound super though.
Sometimes your right the two dimentional sound can also feel like a lack of seperation and atmposphere.
Vinyl recordings have often had a lot more body and depth to the sound to me even when recorded to digital.
Interestingly most remasters of older albums sound over compressed so i tend to stick with original CD release or someones Vinyl rip.

There of corse is great musix from all times... My life is a journey to find that which speaks to the heart or the soul in me
.music is so powerfull :)
Cheers

Aug 24, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #10,997 of 16,326
@Rixsta, by all means feel free to suggest some well recorded music; I'm always happy to learn about new material to try. Yes, I detest most compressed, well aggressively compressed modern recordings, unless they are say electronica as that style of music doesn't seem to suffer as much for compression. I also agree quite a bit of the modern masterings, and remasters as well, sound too clean. In fact, a great amount of my music collection I can't even listen to anymore as it is just so poorly done that regardless of the content being great, I can't stand the quality of the sound.

I'm funny like that, no matter how much I like the music, if it is poorly recorded I won't listen to it anymore. It isn't that I'm a snob, but if it sounds bad I just can't handle it, I find the sound so intensely unpleasant that I would rather not listen. Now with speakers I can handle poor masters better as they at least are not strapped directly to my head!

Aug 24, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #10,998 of 16,326
  Makes sense that it isn't user replaceable, although I think this should be a design goal for all devices of this nature (and of course cell phones). That is part of the reason I opted for the LG G3, decent battery and it is user replaceable. At least it is service center replaceable and I'm sure it should be fairly easy in major urban centers, less so if somebody is in a rural area, or a poorly serviced nation (sadly there are some).

Thanks
for your kind information LG V10 too and I love it and LG gave me extra battery as promotion and I look forward to have same option of user replaceable battery in their upcoming successor V20

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #10,999 of 16,326
   Thanks
for your kind information LG V10 too and I love it and LG gave me extra battery as promotion and I look forward to have same option of user replaceable battery in their upcoming successor V20

I wish I needed a more powerful phone, but I don't. I almost bought the G5 and V10, and now the V20 sounds interesting, but I'm a very basic phone user and I use Bluetooth headphones for portable so good internals get wasted with me. The V10 is supposed to be a great phone overall.

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #11,000 of 16,326
Just tried Hiby Music player from Play store

It totally wowed me!

The soundstage is much bigger than the original music app

And it has cover browse function which I always use back in my ipod days

It can play SACD iso too

You guys should give it a try and post your comments here

Aug 25, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #11,001 of 16,326
  Just tried Hiby Music player from Play store

It totally wowed me!

The soundstage is much bigger than the original music app

And it has cover browse function which I always use back in my ipod days

It can play SACD iso too

You guys should give it a try and post your comments here

I miss the option to shuffle play a folder :frowning2: The interface otherwise is nice and clean, I like it.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #11,002 of 16,326
@Rixsta
, by all means feel free to suggest some well recorded music; I'm always happy to learn about new material to try. Yes, I detest most compressed, well aggressively compressed modern recordings, unless they are say electronica as that style of music doesn't seem to suffer as much for compression. I also agree quite a bit of the modern masterings, and remasters as well, sound too clean. In fact, a great amount of my music collection I can't even listen to anymore as it is just so poorly done that regardless of the content being great, I can't stand the quality of the sound.

I'm funny like that, no matter how much I like the music, if it is poorly recorded I won't listen to it anymore. It isn't that I'm a snob, but if it sounds bad I just can't handle it, I find the sound so intensely unpleasant that I would rather not listen. Now with speakers I can handle poor masters better as they at least are not strapped directly to my head!

Yes i also think non audio freaks are also like this if they hear something not so well recorded they back off. No doubt older recirdings are generaly worse quality yet when you can get past that are in for a treat. I think the modern world need good recording to like a song
Being a musician my ears hear past it all and my imagination makes up for what recording lacks. Still a high end player works wonders with older recordings which need all the quality they can get. I would like to check out the electronica esp where they use real instuments in the mix with the electronica sounds.

There are some bootlegs i cant listen to :)

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #11,003 of 16,326
Yes i also think non audio freaks are also like this if they hear something not so well recorded they back off. No doubt older recirdings are generaly worse quality yet when you can get past that are in for a treat. I think the modern world need good recording to like a song
Being a musician my ears hear past it all and my imagination makes up for what recording lacks. Still a high end player works wonders with older recordings which need all the quality they can get. I would like to check out the electronica esp where they use real instuments in the mix with the electronica sounds.

There are some bootlegs i cant listen to
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree wholeheartedly, and yes you should check out some electronica. There are some amazing compositions out there (lots of crap as well). Even when only samples are used, it can still be magical and sound natural enough. As with anything, the skill of the artist comes into play as does the quality of the samples used, sample quality has a huge impact. I would suggest you listen to Bluetech, this artist was classically trained but fell in love with electronic music, and also Phutureprimitive. I would be happy to OneDrive a few lossless tracks for you if you PM me an e-mail. I happen to know those artists don't mind people being introduced to their music via reasonable sharing. I was first given a copy of a Phutureprimitive album by my brother and have since purchased all of his work, including purchasing the album I was given.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #11,004 of 16,326
How do you know there are no such services, have you contacted ONKYO directly and been told there are no services?

Just an update. I heard back about the DP-X1. Curiously from Pioneer UK. Is there a tie up with Onky?.
Pioneer tell me that a faulty unit would be exchanged under warranty for the first year. After that they currently have no service support but envisage a fixed fee replacement.
A little strange but OK I guess.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #11,005 of 16,326
Just an update. I heard back about the DP-X1. Curiously from Pioneer UK. Is there a tie up with Onky?.
Pioneer tell me that a faulty unit would be exchanged under warranty for the first year. After that they currently have no service support but envisage a fixed fee replacement.
A little strange but OK I guess.

Thanks mate, good to know.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #11,006 of 16,326
I just Googled Onkyo Pioneer.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/pioneer-completes-move-to-become-subsidiary-onkyo
Very interesting. I didn't know about the merger.
I would say that it is a good thing. Pioneer have always been pukka in my book.

Aug 25, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #11,007 of 16,326
I just Googled Onkyo Pioneer.
http://www.whathifi.com/news/pioneer-completes-move-to-become-subsidiary-onkyo
Very interesting. I didn't know about the merger.
I would say that it is a good thing. Pioneer have always been pukka in my book.

Thats why you have the pioneer xdp-100r and onkyo dp-x1. Very similar players.

Aug 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #11,008 of 16,326
Agree wholeheartedly, and yes you should check out some electronica. There are some amazing compositions out there (lots of crap as well). Even when only samples are used, it can still be magical and sound natural enough. As with anything, the skill of the artist comes into play as does the quality of the samples used, sample quality has a huge impact. I would suggest you listen to Bluetech, this artist was classically trained but feel in love with electronic music, and also Phutureprimitive. I would be happy to OneDrive a few lossless tracks for you if you PM me an e-mail. I happen to know those artists don't mind people being introduced to their music via reasonable sharing. I was first given a copy of a Phutureprimitive album by my brother and have since purchased all of his work, including purchasing the album I was given.

Please if you can onedrive some tracks thats great ill pm you. Ive been stuck in old school music too long even though im only 32 lol.
Ill check things out. We are living in a van at the moment and have limited internet, sold my laptop to save for DP-X1. Or yhe Pioneer :) good choice i think. Too easy to waiste time on internet.

Interesting i just read this here ...any comments people ?

Onkyo DP-X1: does it outperform the Pioneer XDP-100R?

We were blown away by the XDP-100R. With two DACs and a headphone amplifier for each channel, does the Onkyo DP-X1 offer superior performance? The answer is yes, but we are not necessarily sure that this is…for the best. Allow us to explain: the Onkyo DP-X1 is diabolically precise, almost clinical. It certainly isn’t cold, but the sound doesn’t have the same warm quality as that offered by the Pioneer XDP-100R.

Source

http://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/07/review-onkyo-dp-x1/

Aug 25, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #11,009 of 16,326
Please if you can onedrive some tracks thats great ill pm you. Ive been stuck in old school music too long even though im only 32 lol.
Ill check things out. We are living in a van at the moment and have limited internet, sold my laptop to save for DP-X1. Or yhe Pioneer
smily_headphones1.gif
good choice i think. Too easy to waiste time on internet.

Interesting i just read this here ...any comments people ?

Onkyo DP-X1: does it outperform the Pioneer XDP-100R?

We were blown away by the XDP-100R. With two DACs and a headphone amplifier for each channel, does the Onkyo DP-X1 offer superior performance? The answer is yes, but we are not necessarily sure that this is…for the best. Allow us to explain: the Onkyo DP-X1 is diabolically precise, almost clinical. It certainly isn’t cold, but the sound doesn’t have the same warm quality as that offered by the Pioneer XDP-100R.

Source

http://blog.son-video.com/en/2016/07/review-onkyo-dp-x1/

Living in a van, that must be cozy. I found the DP-X1 to be like most capable sources these days, able to reveal the music very honestly. If the music isn't well recorded, well, the results will follow and vice versa of course. I personally really enjoyed the signature of the DP-X1, but I of course was very careful with the music I played, cherry picking I guess.

Aug 25, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #11,010 of 16,326
Living in a van, that must be cozy. I found the DP-X1 to be like most capable sources these days, able to reveal the music very honestly. If the music isn't well recorded, well, the results will follow and vice versa of course. I personally really enjoyed the signature of the DP-X1, but I of course was very careful with the music I played, cherry picking I guess.

That's one of the reasons I like Tidal HIFI. Although I have my 200gb filled with FLAC or higher res music only.
I have been doing a lot of comparisons between my mojo with iPod and Tidal vs. DP-X1 and I can honestly say I prefer my DP-X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back