ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 1, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #9,871 of 16,326
I the all Japan version has Japan warranty too. Mine is Japan version. So as long as the unit returned to Japan it will be serviced. Last method is to contact Onkyo Japan to see how it can be returned.

Depends.

If you yourself are in Japan, you win everything (ENVIOUS).

If you imported, then there may be an issue.

Originally exporters would do an actual warranty claim on behalf of customer's who imported a DP-X1. However, when the volume of jack issue RMA's increased. some of these exporters decided to fix the issue themselves. I know with concrete evidence that PriceJapan is one such exporter doing this.

So, if you have imported your device, and it has a broken jack issue, HARD PUSH your exporter to file a warranty claim for replacement. You run the risk of not knowing if they have or not, but record or screenshot your device system information.
If an exporter agrees for warranty claim and replacement (keep email copies or conversations between exporter and you safe), but the unit you receive back is not a replacement but your own fixed unit, decide if you want to pursue that further.

So, I'm sorry guys, some exporters are fixing, not replacing, units.

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #9,872 of 16,326

Depends.

If you yourself are in Japan, you win everything (ENVIOUS).

If you imported, then there may be an issue.

Originally exporters would do an actual warranty claim on behalf of customer's who imported a DP-X1. However, when the volume of jack issue RMA's increased. some of these exporters decided to fix the issue themselves. I know with concrete evidence that PriceJapan is one such exporter doing this.

So, if you have imported your device, and it has a broken jack issue, HARD PUSH your exporter to file a warranty claim for replacement. You run the risk of not knowing if they have or not, but record or screenshot your device system information.
If an exporter agrees for warranty claim and replacement (keep email copies or conversations between exporter and you safe), but the unit you receive back is not a replacement but your own fixed unit, decide if you want to pursue that further.

So, I'm sorry guys, some exporters are fixing, not replacing, units.

Anyway, mine is the first batch exported. So warranty expires on Dec of this year.  I don't think I will use that service in the coming few months.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #9,873 of 16,326
Quick update on using volume control to wake up your screen:

I am now using the app volume unlocker
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kimcy92.volumeunlock&hl=en_GB
and for the way I use the X1 it works well without the battery drain problem.

I listen late at night, so I enable volume unlocker and listen to music on stand alone. During my usage time volume knob wakes the screen. No appreciable battery drain over this short period attributable to the app.

When I'm done I click on volume unlock icon and disable the app, Back to stand alone music paused. Next morning virtually no battery drain.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #9,877 of 16,326
Bit the bullet and ordered the DPX1! Will be getting it in 2 days!

Would it have been a lot better if I get the Chord Mojo and use it with my Cayin C5 amp or did I made the right decision?

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to how I can make use of the balanced 2.5mm output?

Thanks! 

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #9,878 of 16,326

Would it have been a lot better if I get the Chord Mojo and use it with my Cayin C5 amp or did I made the right decision?

Can anybody point me in the right direction as to how I can make use of the balanced 2.5mm output?

Thanks! 

Congratulations! Welcome aboard.

Jul 1, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #9,880 of 16,326

Thanks! 

Congratulations!

I think you don't need any additional amp - just try DP X1 and then you will decide.

For balanced you need to make your headphones recabling to balanced with 2,5 jack. Or... to buy balanced amp.

Jul 1, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #9,881 of 16,326
I posted the answer to this not too far back, but as far as I can tell (from my contacts); no new batches of DP-X1 have been returned for RMA on broken jack outputs.
The internal plastic housings are more durable since QC and manufacturing was restarted/updated some months back (when I don't know).

That info is based on the new units available in Japan and US (I still don't know about Hong Kong but I would like be very surprised if HK doesn't have the new units by now).

The EU and UK just received units too.

However, it's all still too early to say if the issues will come back or not on the new units.
Yet that itself doesn't matter too much because my understanding is Onkyo fixed the problem, and if you buy a unit in your region you are backed by local warranty and repair services.
Those who imported are the ones left in the grey area (again, that will always be the risk of importing).

So, as long as you buy a unit from an official Onkyo distributor, don't worry so much.

K?

^^

Thanks! Hopefully my DP-X1 will last me a long time (or at least I give in to upgraditis) :D

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #9,882 of 16,326

Congratulations!

I think you don't need any additional amp - just try DP X1 and then you will decide.

For balanced you need to make your headphones recabling to balanced with 2,5 jack. Or... to buy balanced amp.

Thanks!

My IEMs and cans all have 3.5mm plugs, are there balanced adapters that has 2.5mm male at one end (to go to the X1's balanced output) and a 3.5mm female on the other end (where I will plug my cans/iems)? 

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:04 AM Post #9,885 of 16,326

ok, so how should I use the 2.5mm balanced output?

You need to have headphones or IEMs that actually terminate with a 2.5mm TRRS jack.

Or you need a headphone or IEM that is wired for balanced operation in general and you can use a converter to 2.5mm TRRS with that. So for example, you have a headphone that ends 4-pin XLR male, and then you can plug that into a converter with a 4-pin XLR female on one end and 2.5mm TRRS male on the other. Though this solution would be quite cumbersome when used on the go with the DP-X1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back