ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jul 2, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #9,886 of 16,326

You need to have headphones or IEMs that actually terminate with a 2.5mm TRRS jack.

Or you need a headphone or IEM that is wired for balanced operation in general and you can use a converter to 2.5mm TRRS with that. So for example, you have a headphone that ends 4-pin XLR male, and then you can plug that into a converter with a 4-pin XLR female on one end and 2.5mm TRRS male on the other. Though this solution would be quite cumbersome when used on the go with the DP-X1.

Thank you for the explanation sir!

If I understand it correctly:

- TRRS is 4-pole? TRS or 3 pole is the plug of the common stereo plug found in most cans/iems in the market and usually      
   3.5mm (?)
- There are cans/iems that are factory-built with 2.5mm TRRS jack (what specific brands/models are the good ones?)
- There are cans/iems that terminates with 4-pin XLR male (what brands/models are the good ones?)

If my headphones/IEMs have the common 3.5mm jack (example: Bose QC25, Shure / Jays IEMs, etc.) can I still use them with the X1's balanced output? How? Or am I stuck with the X1's 3.5mm output?

Thank you very much for the information and sorry for the noob questions.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #9,887 of 16,326

Thank you for the explanation sir!

If I understand it correctly:

- TRRS is the plug of the common stereo plug found in most cans/iems in the market and usually 3.5mm (?)
- There are cans/iems that are factory-built with 2.5mm TRRS jack (what specific brands/models are the good ones?)
- There are cans/iems that terminates with 4-pin XLR male (what brands/models are the good ones?)

If my headphones/IEMs have the common 3.5mm jack (example: Bose QC25, Shure / Jays IEMs, etc.) can I still use them with the X1's balanced output? How? Or am I stuck with the X1's 3.5mm output?

Thank you very much for the information and sorry for the noob questions.

"TRRS" actually refers to Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, which in very simplified terms means you'll see the 2 circles (or rings or notches or whatever) on the jack. For 3.5mm this is more commonly used for something like an in-line microphone or for in-line audio controls - you'll see this pattern on the jack for IEMs with microphones. I'm not sure if anybody actually uses 3.5mm TRRS for balanced audio.

As for any headphones/IEMs that come with 2.5mm TRRS, to be honest I can't think of any right now. There might be some out there, but I don't think it's very common. I think most people have to get 3rd-party cables to get 2.5mm TRRS terminations.

Yes, there are some headphones that come with 4-pin XLR cables, but they're usually very expensive. For example, off the top of my head I can think of the Hifiman HE1000, Audeze LCD-X and LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800S, etc.

As for whether you can use your headphones with the X1's balanced output, that really depends on the headphone. First off, if the cable isn't detachable, it usually isn't impossible but it will require some work to make them balanced.

If the cable is detachable, then you have different possible scenarios. To cover some of the headphones you listed, first I don't think it's possible to make the QC25 balanced without serious modification. This is because you can only plug in a cable on one side, and that connector probably isn't wired for balanced operation.

As for Shure IEMs, I think for the Shure SE215 and up the cables are detachable and you'll find plenty of 3rd party cables that fit them. So no problem there.

As for "Jays IEM", I'm assuming you're talking about the Q-Jays? They seem to use SSMCX connectors, and I couldn't find any balanced cables for these with a quick search on Google. But I think you could probably ask someone to custom-make these cables for you.

Hope this helps! 

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #9,888 of 16,326

TRRS is 4 pole. There is 2.5mm TRRS (used in AK players) and 3.5mm TRRS (used in HiFiMan and Sony players or used for in line microphone).

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 2, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #9,889 of 16,326

"TRRS" actually refers to Tip-Ring-Ring-Sleeve, which in very simplified terms means you'll see the 2 circles (or rings or notches or whatever) on the jack. For 3.5mm this is more commonly used for something like an in-line microphone or for in-line audio controls - you'll see this pattern on the jack for IEMs with microphones. I'm not sure if anybody actually uses 3.5mm TRRS for balanced audio.

As for any headphones/IEMs that come with 2.5mm TRRS, to be honest I can't think of any right now. There might be some out there, but I don't think it's very common. I think most people have to get 3rd-party cables to get 2.5mm TRRS terminations.

Yes, there are some headphones that come with 4-pin XLR cables, but they're usually very expensive. For example, off the top of my head I can think of the Hifiman HE1000, Audeze LCD-X and LCD-3, Sennheiser HD800S, etc.

As for whether you can use your headphones with the X1's balanced output, that really depends on the headphone. First off, if the cable isn't detachable, it usually isn't impossible but it will require some work to make them balanced.

If the cable is detachable, then you have different possible scenarios. To cover some of the headphones you listed, first I don't think it's possible to make the QC25 balanced without serious modification. This is because you can only plug in a cable on one side, and that connector probably isn't wired for balanced operation.

As for Shure IEMs, I think for the Shure SE215 and up the cables are detachable and you'll find plenty of 3rd party cables that fit them. So no problem there.

As for "Jays IEM", I'm assuming you're talking about the Q-Jays? They seem to use SSMCX connectors, and I couldn't find any balanced cables for these with a quick search on Google. But I think you could probably ask someone to custom-make these cables for you.

Hope this helps! 

Thank you very much for your reply! Very informative.

The QC25 has a detachable cable on the left side. The cable that connects to the headphone is 2.5mm male (3 black/plastic rings and 4 gold/metal rings) and on the other end that connects to a device is 3.5mm male (3 black/plastic rings and 4 gold/metal rings). Please see pic. The straight connector plugs to the headphone. Do you think I can get it balanced?

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #9,890 of 16,326

Hope this helps! 

As for the highlighted bold part:

Hifiman HM-901, HM-802, HM-801, HM-650 lines (and their variants) have all 3.5 mm balanced TRRS output, either switchable or separate sockets.
Sony ZX-2 3.5mm TRRS balanced
ifi Pro iCan has one of these too.

Cheers!!

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:59 AM Post #9,891 of 16,326

The QC25 has a detachable cable on the left side. The cable that connects to the headphone is 2.5mm male (3 black/plastic rings and 4 gold/metal rings) and on the other end that connects to a device is 3.5mm male (3 black/plastic rings and 4 gold/metal rings). Please see pic. The straight connector plugs to the headphone. Do you think I can get it balanced?

Depends on the internal wiring of the headphones. I would think it's unlikely but for exaplme with the Oppo PM-3 it works (since they are wired internally for balanced operation).

Cheers.

Jul 2, 2016 at 3:42 AM Post #9,893 of 16,326
Does anyone have a 3.5mm jack that is not loose?
I have had a 2 US XDP-100, JP DP-X1, and now a US DP-X1 go loose on me after short usage. All four started out nice and tight, then after just a couple weeks started to get so lose that ANY tiny movement will cause the plug to slide out and pause the music, basically making the player unusable if not placed completely stationary, which....defeats the purpose of this PORTABLE player.

If someone does have one that never gets loose (basically is the norm for ALL OTHER DEVICES), at least I can get some hope that ONKYO could get this permanently fixed if I send it in. It is such a shame for otherwise an excellent player to be essentially useless as no headphone can stay in when used properly as a portable device.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #9,895 of 16,326
I have had a 2 US XDP-100, JP DP-X1, and now a US DP-X1 go loose on me after short usage. All four started out nice and tight, then after just a couple weeks started to get so lose that ANY tiny movement will cause the plug to slide out and pause the music, basically making the player unusable if not placed completely stationary, which....defeats the purpose of this PORTABLE player.

If someone does have one that never gets loose (basically is the norm for ALL OTHER DEVICES), at least I can get some hope that ONKYO could get this permanently fixed if I send it in. It is such a shame for otherwise an excellent player to be essentially useless as no headphone can stay in when used properly as a portable device.

I have JP dp-x1 for 7 months. No, still not loose and no bad contact. Insert the jack is easier than my phone, but no bad contact during travel to work.

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #9,896 of 16,326

The QC25 cannot be wired for a balanced configuration. Because these are noise cancelling headphones there is a lot of signal processing electronics between the input socket and the actual headphone transducers. This circuit does not support a balanced configuration.

In any event, there would be be no benefit in doing so. The QC25 are great noise cancelling phones, but the extra electronics does limit their overall performance such that any difference with a balanced connection would not be noticeable. They do sound good from the DP-X1 3.5mm output however 
smile.gif

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #9,899 of 16,326
Hi all, in my free time (and boredom) I suddenly remembered that there were several members who mentioned installing Viper4Android on their rooted DP-X1. Thus, I went to look it (V4A) up. Judging from the description and features, it looks like all it does is just add extra DSP/sound FX capability to the device. Am I correct? Or does it actually make a device perform better (not sound signature wise, but technically)? I would appreciate if someone who has had experience with V4A or knowledge about it enlighten me on this.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #9,900 of 16,326

Dude, seriously, why are you not doing the acrylic fix that has been discussed many times here? Just do it and be done with the worry. Even if you could count on ONKYO service to completely fix the issue (who knows if that is true) why would you want the lost time as it would take weeks and you would have to pay shipping one way. The acrylic fix sounds very easy, quite effective and not at all expensive. Several members here have done it, read back several pages and then PM them for more info, but do it before the jacks fail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back