ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Jun 17, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #9,331 of 16,326

It's easy to get a misleading impression from forums where folk will come to report problems and seek solutions.

It's true that there are hardware and software issues with this device, but I wouldn't describe it as very buggy or beta style.

It sounds like Onkyo have addressed the hardware problem with the jacks. Things have been quiet on the software front but hopefully Onkyo are working on further improvements in this area too.

While I might complain about the shortcomings, I'm generally very happy with the DP-X1. Knowing what I know now, I'm still happy I bought it and would recommend it to others who need a DAP now. 

Thanks. I feel a little better about my order now. Hopefully I'm getting a newer model with no loose jacks.

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #9,332 of 16,326
Perhaps ... but the issue was denied by many owners on this thread for a long time, so I'm not certain that a more extensive beta testing programme would have improved matters.

Beta testers are supposed to be honest about a products that they received for free and conducting usages just like normal people before any official release. They can be ranged from engineer to software programmers to experienced user to audiophile and enthusiast alike. The thing is that I believe Onkyo never did such thing. I agree that every products in their first generation will have a few bugs to be solved, but to have these common bugs ? That is too careless.

See ? A Dedicated Android Player, which is having problem with Android 3rd party supporting apps....if this is not an obvious and horrible bug, then what is ? I am just voicing what I feel is fair for both parties. However, I had made my decision and no longer own the X1, then I will just keeping on being an observer.

After all, it is good to know that Onkyo is willing to fix the issues.

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #9,333 of 16,326

Jun 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #9,334 of 16,326
I am happy to report that I was able to do a full system backup via nandroid in TWRP. For me, flashing is a breeze, and as long as you don't have full disk encryption turned on TWRP fully supports the system. It also gives you root adb shell, so that should provide us with another avenue of obtaining root even after system updates, and should let us get around installing king root as a preferred method.

Once I get the encryption issue sorted out in TWRP, I will probably put together a flashable system package that includes supersu and busy box installers and put up a revised guide walking through the whole thing.

Looks like I may have to pick up another DP-X1 for development.

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #9,337 of 16,326
Agreed. Headphone is a pretty big flaw....obviously noticeable enough that Onkyo finally did something about it. As for the distorted sound while listening...that was not as easy to discover. I always thought there was something ot quite right when listen to quiet parts of a music track but couldn't quite put my finger on it. When someone suggested bringing the volume down to 5, it was such a clear noise. Obviously hard to hear in all situations, but it can pop up when listening to dynamic tracks that go way down in volume. I can really make it out on many pink Floyd albums after I discovered what I was listening for.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #9,338 of 16,326
Ok knowing that it's going to be fixed makes me want to buy a DP-X1 even more....but I have too many DAPs in my life already. :D

Jun 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #9,344 of 16,326
Hello,

is it possible to backup the playlists on the DP-X1? Do you know where they are saved? There is some work in these playlists and i don't want to loose them. I don't use the xdap utility, because i am on a mac.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #9,345 of 16,326
Got my DP-X1 a few days back 
biggrin.gif
 It was a tough two and a half hour audition among the Opus#1, AK320 and the DP-X1. The Opus is good, sounded more forward than the DP-X1, in short, very good value for the price, being the cheapest of the three. I really wanted to like it, but... but that screen! The colours are almost completely washed out when with the slightest tilt of the device! I can't imagine using it when on the move, or even more so under bright sunlight. The AK320... well, I'd say it sounds better than the DP-X1, being more musical, intimate and having better layering while able to convey emotion better than the DP-X1 and the Opus, but I don't think it's worth he huge difference in price. The DP-X1 sounded the most spacious and transparent among the three, albeit the driest. It sounds really "accurate", having a "reference" quality sound. And it pairs really well with my NT-6 Pro's - the separation, imaging, detail and soundstage are out of this world! My only gripe with the Onkyo is that it comes without a case, or at least a screen protector (shouldn't this be a norm for such devices nowadays?) But oh well, I have a glass screen protector and the Onkyo case flying over from Japan right now so all is good 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back