ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 7, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #6,153 of 16,326
  This is too long of a thread to search, but as someone new to the thread, can someone let me know if this supports USB-DAC mode and utilize the full DSD 256 in USB dac mode?

Just to check, are you aware that under the title of this thread on every page, there is a link you can click on saying "search this thread".
It will then bring up a search box specifically for this thread alone and show you links and previews for all posts which match your search terms?

Apologies if you already know this, but it took me a while before I became aware of this function myself!
Given how many people enquire about things in this way on many long threads, it maybe seems like a function that Head-Fi (or thread starters) should highlight?

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #6,155 of 16,326
Yep, I considered that as well since the price is very attractive. However at the time I was looking, X5 2nd Gen was not clear on what OTG support worked or not. If OTG DAC mode is fully operational then it would be a strong contender for just transport given it's half the price of Onkyo.

Because X5ii supports 2 micro SD, I don't need OTG. X5ii supports OTG on firmware 1.2 but I haven't tried it yet.

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #6,156 of 16,326
I just received my 200GB micro SD card today (184GB usable according to Windows, fyi)

I don't have my DP-x1 yet, but is there any reason why I shouldn't put my music library on this card now?  Does the DP-x1 need to format the card itself or anything like that first?  Thanks

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #6,158 of 16,326
Is it stuck on with adhesive?   Let's assume that you manage to severely scratch or break the glass protector - how easy would you say it will be to get it off your DP-X1 without doing damage to the actual screen?

It is a tempered glass screen protector, just like you might have on your phone. There is an adhesive, but it isn't a strong one. It is fairly easy to pry the protector off if you need to (it breaks, scratches, etc, and you want to put a new one on).

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #6,161 of 16,326
What's better, ACG or Balanced? I noticed that balanced is louder as it has more power, but other than that can't see much difference on my PM3s.

I also found it hard to tell, but in theory the noise should be lower in ACG due to really good grounding. That said, in order for their to be an appreciable difference, that would have to imply that there was audible noise in normal balanced. At least that is my thoughts on it.

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6,162 of 16,326
  I just received my 200GB micro SD card today (184GB usable according to Windows, fyi)

I don't have my DP-x1 yet, but is there any reason why I shouldn't put my music library on this card now?  Does the DP-x1 need to format the card itself or anything like that first?  Thanks

From my experience, no. I never format my SD card since DX50 > DX90 > Fiio X1 > DP-X1

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:29 PM Post #6,163 of 16,326

From my experience, no. I never format my SD card since DX50 > DX90 > Fiio X1 > DP-X1

Ditto, I just put my new SD cards in the Onkyo, dragged music to them through Windows and had no issues at all.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #6,164 of 16,326
What's better, ACG or Balanced? I noticed that balanced is louder as it has more power, but other than that can't see much difference on my PM3s.

In theory, ACG should provide you the better sounding, but I believe it depends on one's preference anyway. For myself, I prefer the ACG.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #6,165 of 16,326
In theory, ACG should provide you the better sounding, but I believe it depends on one's preference anyway. For myself, I prefer the ACG.

I just re-terminated my cable for TRRS balanced (originally SE).

Can you advise how the difference would be like setting the DP-X1 for ACG and Balanced?  Are both settings going to affect only the 2.5mm balance output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back