ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Mar 7, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #6,136 of 16,326
  Hi matey, kindly excuse my noob question, but I'm curious as to why the headphones invalidate the hardware of the DAP?
Is it because you can't use balanced on bluetooth headphones and hence can only use one of the DACs in the player?
So what setup will you be using instead of the DP-X1?
Also, have you considered just replacing the headphones instead?
tongue_smile.gif

I'd heard that bluetooth headphones were not as good as regular ones? But I have little knowledge of this!

Bluetooth is a digital stream passed to the receiving device, so the headphone will have a simple DAC and amp in, effectively wasting the hardware of the DP-X1. And the Bluetooth headphones sound excellent. They would have to  be very good for the purpose or I would simply as you say go back to wired headphones. I'll say it again here, within five years wired headphones will be on a significant decline for portable use, and we will even start to see flagship level headphones that are wireless. There is no stopping progress and wires are not progress, they are the past. Just my view on the subject.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6,138 of 16,326
  Can anyone who owns the DP-X1 tell me: is the screen made of glass or plastic? And is the body made entirely of metal?
Thanks.

All metal, gorilla glass (as of yet unconfirmed) screen.

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #6,139 of 16,326
  All metal, gorilla glass screen.

I'm plenty curious - where did you get this info from?
I haven't seen any press releases, spec sheets or any official word that the DP-X1 would have a gorilla glass screen.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #6,140 of 16,326

I haven't seen any press releases, spec sheets or any official word that the DP-X1 would have a gorilla glass screen.

Yep...this is also a reason why I asked. They didn't make any statment anywhere that it has a glass screen, and that usually means it doesn't....I also read a review on Amazon where they mention it's plastic....so, I don't really know what to believe.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #6,141 of 16,326

Yep...this is also a reason why I asked. They didn't make any statment anywhere that it has a glass screen, and that usually means it doesn't....I also read a review on Amazon where they mention it's plastic....so, I don't really know what to believe.

I am just throwing this out here, but I think you can do a quick test with a diamond tester for hardness.  The tester is pretty cheap and good for testing real gem stones too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H4WGWK/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687522&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B004FSHEBQ&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=03BVWPCTBYQ0X6VBHR2Z

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #6,142 of 16,326

The screen is certainly glass.  Whether it is Gorilla Glass (Corning's proprietary hard glass), just regular glass, sapphire glass, or some other glass remains to be seen.  It is certainly glass and not plastic, though.  The unit ships with a plastic sheet over the glass, which may be confusing people.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #6,143 of 16,326

I was repeating what I heard from a source who seemed to be in the know, and I will admit I put faith in that source (and I still do). However, I am going to see if I can contact him and ask how he got that information. I should have put that disclaimer in my reply to the OP who asked. My bad.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #6,144 of 16,326
  So I have decided to sell my mint DP-X1. The listing I think is a very fair price (yes shameless plug) at $640 which includes one 64GB card. I have also provided a nice price incentive for the balanced cable in the listing as I strongly prefer to move them together. I love the DP-X1, as you all know, but given my use of Bluetooth headphones for portable, it is senseless to waste the quality hardware inside the DAP.

Not even with the aptX CSR Bluetooth technology being part of the equation with the DP X1?

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #6,145 of 16,326
  Not even with the aptX CSR Bluetooth technology being part of the equation with the DP X1?

Nope, it still wastes all the other guts, my phone has aptX CSR already so again, no advantage when using Bluetooth exclusively. Sad for sure, love the DP-X1.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #6,146 of 16,326
Not sure if anybody in this thread will want a balanced cable, but if you do look in the for sale forums later today or tomorrow as mine will become available at a good price. Shameless plug over.

Mar 7, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #6,147 of 16,326
  If you only need a transporter and prefer portable than DSD128/DSD256 (via micro USB with Mojo), you can think about X5 2nd Gen :)
If you need anything else, certainly DP-X1 is better. 

Yep, I considered that as well since the price is very attractive. However at the time I was looking, X5 2nd Gen was not clear on what OTG support worked or not. If OTG DAC mode is fully operational then it would be a strong contender for just transport given it's half the price of Onkyo.

Mar 7, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #6,148 of 16,326
I'll say it again here, within five years wired headphones will be on a significant decline for portable use, and we will even start to see flagship level headphones that are wireless. There is no stopping progress and wires are not progress, they are the past. Just my view on the subject.

Spoken with the passion and true convicion of an old-timey street preacher
biggrin.gif

What headphones are they?
To be honest, my view on bluetooth headphones was formed from reading a few articles/reviews a few years back.
Given the progress of technology, it comes as no surprise to me at all to hear about your current headphones, and I can only agree with your veiws on the future decline of wired headphones.
Mind you, you should bear in mind that people can be remarkably resistant to technological progress. Some people on here still think vinyl is a superior technology
wink.gif

*runs for cover*
popcorn.gif

Joking aside, I shall wait with optimism to see the forthcoming developments in this field.
Mind you, I'm still waiting for my circa-1980's Michael J. Fox flying skateboard to become available for purchase, but I live in hope
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back