ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 16, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #5,401 of 16,328
  I tried once with a 64GB card and was told the storage wasn't enough. Now I had two 64 cards and one was full, so I assume it may mean it defaults to SD slot 1. Try changing the location of the card or cards and see. I haven't bothered yet as I have very little off-line content so I didn't care.

Thanks!

Feb 16, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #5,402 of 16,328
Feb 16, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,404 of 16,328
  I've had the DP-X1 a couple of weeks now and have had time to compare to my Mojo/Moto set-up.  As good as I think the Onkyo is, to me it isn't as good as the Mojo.  The Mojo is more detailed, gives more depth to the sound and overall is just an all round better sound.  This is in both SE and balanced mode.

That's not to say it's a bad DAP though, I use it alot and it's better than other DAP's I've owned in the past including the DX100, DX90, Sony ZX1, AK 100mkii and more recently the Fiio X7.
The Fiio X7 just doesnt sound as good as the DP-X1, not as musical or detailed, almost sounds a bit veiled in comparison. 

I said earlier in the thread that the Onkyo seems to get better the more I use it, I love it, an outstanding DAP.  

Was using today with the Fischer Amps FA4 and the match was excellent, really squeezed a bit more life out of my Fischer's which I didn't think was possible.

Sonic Defender had me pretty much convinced that the Onkyo was right for me, and you've now completely convinced me of it. I had the X7 at the same time as you and also returned it due to the WiFi noise issue and the lack of offline Tidal storage. I was happy with its sound, although it didn't quite reach the level of the Mojo as I recall it from a short time I had to evaluate one. If the DP-X1 is somewhere in between the two, I'll be more than happy with it, given the other advantages it offers.

As others have reported SD card storage for Tidal to be working fine, I expect the problems reported above are just about correct slot placement, so I'm going to take the plunge 
smile.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #5,405 of 16,328

For you and me coming from ZX2 it's quite close to neutral :D
I guess people coming from Cowon P1 would say something similar...

To me it's a tad north of neutral, and a great pairing with warmer IEMs / headphones (NightHawk and U12 pair beautifully with the DP-X1)

This is my experience as well.  Having only owned "Mid-to-Low-Fi" headphones such as Koss Porta-Pro (fairly neutral sounding) and Polk Audio Buckle headphones (very 'warm'), I find the Polk's to be very usable now as before with my Zune it sounded too heavy (also couldn't be driven sufficiently with how bug they are).

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #5,411 of 16,328

Tax refund is on it's way so is the Need of a new Toys !

I currently loving my AK120ii and looking for new DAP that works with streaming ie. Spotify, Tidal, Google etc.

Onkyo DP-X1 vs Fiio X7 comes to mind.

Can any kind souls out there shine a light about these two wonderful players as stand alone DAP?
Which do you you think is more musical, better presentation, details, layering and depth, bass and trebles and overall UI experiences.
I realize that none is perfect but I'll pairing it with external amp anyways so a bit lacking in driving power, body and bass impact may just not be a big problem in my case.
I need to know if the sound is solid, have a good back bone and more three-dimensional in presentation.

PS: I used to own X5, DX90, AP100 and now AK120ii. AK has way more resolution, details and 3D presentation in my ear

Thanks in advance
Andrew

A few of my notes that may help while using the DP-X1 and X7 with the HD-700 Headphone:

PROS

--------The DP-X1
Sound is harder to listen to out of the box
Nice UI
Definitive sounding
Bass and Hi's need massaging for general listening
Integrated Balanced Capability
Still trying to determine if a usb digital out exists (let me know if you know)
Runs the Parrot software
sounds better when routed to an external Sony PHA3
Gauge leads toward the detailed side and away from the tube side.
The audio jack is NOT a problem as reported.

--------The X7
Sounds Easier to listen to out of the box
UI - nothing great
Sounds like a weak PHA3 with tighter mids
freq response ok for listening I guess
Need to pay for Modules for balancing
Has a separate Coax digit/analog out
Runs the Parrot software
Sounds Warmer
Gauge leads toward the effortless tube side and away from the detailed side.

CONS

--------The DP-X1
Sounds Uneasy
Smooth sharp feeling edges when holding
Had to EQ ..still just does not have that effortless sound
Sounds Colder/Warmer
EQ hard to operate - hard to maintain smooth curves, and manage freq., and db levels.
Two separate SE and Balanced inputs - need more than one cable

--------The X7
Sounds like a baby Sony PHA3.
Wanted more power for some reason 
Obviously, I want this thing to sound like the PHA3
This is a fine Unit but it lacks the features of a DP-X1

Overall, I really like the sound of the X7, but the modules solution seem kind of kludgy.  I'll take the DP-X1 because of all the features - like it has a low,mid, and high  gain.  I can massage the sound close to the way that I like.  Adjusting the upper low frequency band adjustments (0 to 3db) seem to do wonders on thickening the mids, enhancing the bass' sound, balancing the hi sounding freqs., adding dynamics,  etc.  In addition, switching from a slow and sharp digital filter, depending on the listening material.  Everything else at default - no up sampling.  Hi freq may need to be adjusted to soften the edgy sound.  At the end, the DP-X1 is pumping for me.  I think the DP-X1 is the best with all of the items you asked to compare, but for some reason, the X7 is the one that my ears favor.  So how can one have all the best qualities, but the other one sound the best.  I think one is closer to robotic perfection, while the other is closer to human perfection :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #5,414 of 16,328
  Tks!  ..forgot this thing is an android..

I'm not sure if this is the case, but if you have had the X7 longer you may be more used to the signature than the DP-X1. I suspect with a little time you will grow to appreciate the signature even more. I started out liking it, but I must say I really, really like it now. I'm currently using it with some XTZ Divine Bluetooth headphones and they are pretty damn impressive for sure. Nice combination, could use more power with them, but a built in amp is going to be limited so what can I expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back