ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA | DSD 256 | Android 5 |
Feb 16, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #5,416 of 16,326
I ordered the dp-x1 from pricejapan Friday. I received the payment confirmation Saturday morning.
I paid the extra $52.47 for 72hr shipping. Still not shipped and that option is no longer available on the site. Sweet
I also may be jumping the gun a little bit by not taking business days into consideration. Although, I received the email Saturday morning and it did say 72hrs.

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,417 of 16,326
  I'm not sure if this is the case, but if you have had the X7 longer you may be more used to the signature than the DP-X1. I suspect with a little time you will grow to appreciate the signature even more. I started out liking it, but I must say I really, really like it now. I'm currently using it with some XTZ Divine Bluetooth headphones and they are pretty damn impressive for sure. Nice combination, could use more power with them, but a built in amp is going to be limited so what can I expect.

I'm running SE right now.  Are you running in the SE or one of the balanced modes?
I'm hoping that the balanced modes sound even better...

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #5,418 of 16,326

It only show internal storage while I have a 8GB SD card in slot 2.

You need to select Slot One for offline storage, as I found out

Edit: You need to have an SD card in slot 1 to store Tidal on a SD card

Feb 16, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #5,419 of 16,326
  What is the best way to take that picture..

Press the 'Power' button and 'REW' button at the same time, hold for a second or two (The two outer buttons)

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #5,420 of 16,326
OK Onkyo

All is forgiven. Got a set of SNUGS custom tips for my SE535

What a difference they make. I had tried all different tips, Shure Olives, Shure Silicone, Comply, Sony Hybrid, JVC Spiral Dots and all failed to convince me that Balanced out of the Onkyo was anything special, although I had stated that the weak link might be my 535's

Well today all has changed

I have seen the light

ONkyo DP-X1 please forgive me, 
"Have I finished with Mojo?" "How could you ask me that, you know I love you both!"

OK let the testing begin, thoughts and impressions to follow... 
L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5,421 of 16,326
  I'm running SE right now.  Are you running in the SE or one of the balanced modes?
I'm hoping that the balanced modes sound even better...

I use balanced, ACG with Sharp filter and Lock Range one notch from the narrowest setting. I found the SE quite good, but many seem to think the balanced sounds better, but I can't say if it does or not. Mostly as I have had virtually no SE listening as I had a balanced cable made for my PM3 and 400i so it has been balanced almost since day one for me.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #5,422 of 16,326
  OK Onkyo

All is forgiven. Got a set of SNUGS custom tips for my SE535

What a difference they make. I had tried all different tips, Shure Olives, Shure Silicone, Comply, Sony Hybrid, JVC Spiral Dots and all failed to convince me that Balanced out of the Onkyo was anything special, although I had stated that the weak link might be my 535's

Well today all has changed

I have seen the light

ONkyo DP-X1 please forgive me, 
"Have I finished with Mojo?" "How could you ask me that, you know I love you both!"

OK let the testing begin, thoughts and impressions to follow... 
L3000.gif

Glad that all is good. I'm sure the Mojo is also a very special signature, but I think when you weigh the single device solution the Onkyo provides it is a very hard to beat device given the reasonable price.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #5,423 of 16,326

Care to write a quick how-to explaining how to put this on the device?

Feb 17, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #5,424 of 16,326
@Hitec

Thx for the comps it looks like Onkyo offers more flexibility in terms of "massaging" the sound with EQ and digital Filter which must be really fun to do. I wonder if the EQ quality is good enough it doesn't create a phase distortion or anything . My previous experience with X5 and DX90 about their EQ was not impressed at all only original X3 has a good analog EQ that sounds really good.

Regarding se vs balance on Onkyo is there a significant differences ? At the QP1R thread, someone mentioned the balance on Onkyo is better than QP1R single ended but no comparison to AK balance yet....or I  might have missed that.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #5,425 of 16,326
  I use balanced, ACG with Sharp filter and Lock Range one notch from the narrowest setting. I found the SE quite good, but many seem to think the balanced sounds better, but I can't say if it does or not. Mostly as I have had virtually no SE listening as I had a balanced cable made for my PM3 and 400i so it has been balanced almost since day one for me.

I like your lock adjustment.  ....hopefully this is not a haunch but it feels like it redefines the bass and makes the music sound a little less rushed, or crowded or something...  ..can't wait for my connectors so I can make my balanced cable ends.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #5,426 of 16,326
Ok have figured out the Tidal storage issue. It seems there is a glitch in that the main system storage settings record Tidal offline storage in both the internal slot and the SD1 slot. As long as you set it up right in Todal settings it works.

But one other annoyance is that you can only use SD1 for offline storage. Suddenly lose 200gb storage space :weary:

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #5,427 of 16,326
Anyone in the forum has faced issue with the auto "unmounting" of the micro SD storage card in Slot 2?

Today, I have just experienced it for the second time (yesterday was my first)!  I could see the the micro SD card is fully inserted in there and I could see that the 'Mount SD card'.  I tried mounting but failed.  Then, I pulled the card out and placed it back in there.  That action did mount the SD card back.

Is there an option that would automatically "unmount" the card?  Or is there a bug in the player?

Appreciate anyone's feedback on this.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #5,428 of 16,326
Is there an option that would automatically "unmount" the card?  Or is there a bug in the player?

Appreciate anyone's feedback on this.

I have experienced this once, I placed my DAP on the floor to avoid dropping it, this was a hard floor and unfortunately it was dropped accidentally from about 15mm above the floor. I was presented with SD card has been unmounted warning. I used the remount option in settings and mine was visible once again.

Feb 17, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #5,429 of 16,326
  Anyone in the forum has faced issue with the auto "unmounting" of the micro SD storage card in Slot 2?

Today, I have just experienced it for the second time (yesterday was my first)!  I could see the the micro SD card is fully inserted in there and I could see that the 'Mount SD card'.  I tried mounting but failed.  Then, I pulled the card out and placed it back in there.  That action did mount the SD card back.

Actually I have been trying to understand the trigger but it happened to me a bunch of times (over 5 times I think) and that's with SD Card slot 1, with two different brand and model (both 64GB). The card is in place, the player has had absolutely no shock that could explain it.

The card is shown as unmounted but it's there alright, I can't mount it via the menu, I need to eject and put it back to get it to work. Quite strange...

Feb 17, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #5,430 of 16,326

Actually I have been trying to understand the trigger but it happened to me a bunch of times (over 5 times I think) and that's with SD Card slot 1, with two different brand and model (both 64GB). The card is in place, the player has had absolutely no shock that could explain it.

The card is shown as unmounted but it's there alright, I can't mount it via the menu, I need to eject and put it back to get it to work. Quite strange...

@davidmolliere 

Wow! You're having the same issue with what I am facing.  No shock or drop.  Both my cards are the same brand and model with 128GB.

The first time I experienced it, I was just placing the player into my pants' pocket.  Today, all I did was to place it on a table-top while it was connected to my home speakers and I could not find the artists stored in the SD in Slot 2.  Like you, I just couldn't mount it back until I took it out and inserted the card again.  It was just like that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back